Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The 'My Name is Earl' Thread 
Forum General

Post The 'My Name is Earl' Thread
My Name is Earl, arguably the best reviewed show of the new season (along with Everybody Hates Chris), starts tonight on NBC at 9/8c.

I read negative reviews of How I Met Your Mother, and so far a couple critics have been disappointed by Everybody Hates Chris, but I have yet to read anything but glowing reviews for this one.

I also read that it's somewhere something like it's "NBC's highest testing pilot in 15 years."

This could be the next Scrubs or Arrested Development, though let's refrain from the comparisons, as that could only lead to sad ratings.

Woohoo! I'm pumped, again.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Downloaded the pilot. Definitely a solid show that I really liked, and Jason Lee is a comedic God. I just hope it finds an audience, but considering it's leading into The Office, with help from The Biggest Loser at 8, I doubt the ratings will be huge.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:19 pm
rustiphica

I'm actually anticipating this show. Haven't really liked tv in the longest time and this is gonna be the first new show I watch in like 5 years. My television viewing consists mainly of the oldie channels and cartoons like family guy & futurama.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:23 pm
No Wire Tampons!

It looks funny; but it looks like its going to be a ratings medium. America has shown that they like their comedies glossy; the emphasis on Earl is that its scruffy, imperfect and only mildly redeemable. The trailers i found to be very funny - but again there wasn't a blue sky i spotted- and that for an American comedy show is very rare. Hell even Desperate Housewives with its dark humour has blue skies, But i guess thats part of its appeal - that its gently parodying the ideology of the American comedy/dream. To be honest; im a goof for escapism in my sitcoms. I like sterotypes, silly characters and rolleye lines. I enjoy watching Hope and Faith even though its a horrific show - and ive found Less than Perfect is an, ironically, perfect crossroads between the cynical and random humour of Scrubs and the glossy and dumb humour of Friends.

P.S - Scrubs = funniest show on tv. Easy. I bought my sister season 2 for her birthday; and im currently watching roughly an hour of scrubs a day on tv [where it shows at 4pm on one channel, then 4.30pm on another channel, and on Fridays it even shows at 8pm on another channel :D]

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:38 pm
life begins now

What an extremely awesome show. Fantastic, actually.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:21 pm
Profile YIM
rustiphica

I actually laughed, many times! F'n great show!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:59 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

This show will BOMB.. It doesn't even look funny.. Cue the toilet flush with this show..

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

This show will BOMB.. It doesn't even look funny.. Cue the toilet flush with this show..

It might bomb, but it won't have to do with quality. Arrested Development is an example of excellent shows with horrible ratings. Americans seem to get scared when shows don't have laugh tracks, so they don't know when to laugh.

The show was even better a second time! Loved it.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:17 pm
Cream of the Crop

It definitely had its moments. It's got me for another week, I could see how Randy could get on my nerves in heavy doses. But Earl is the star of the show, he's great.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I liked it a lot. Not an Arrested Development-level pilot or anything, but impressive. And it'll probably only get better.

"I realize now that running probably wasn't the best choice..." Haha.

Anyone else watch The Office last night, though? Twas quite awesome.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

going to become one of the only strictly comedies i watch on tv.
[starved, now this, and sometimes desperate housewives]

1. The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Rushmore
5. Being John Malkovich

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

The fact that this got great ratings last night confuses me a lot. Although, NBC has a little history with shows debuting big and bombing fast. Father of the Pride would be the most recent example. Let's hope people keep watching.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:58 pm
Orphan

I liked the pilot but I'm sensing that it'll be too quirky for wide consumption, perhaps becoming NBC's version of "Arrested Development."

On another note, I don't see how the premise of him righting past wrongs won't become repetitive as the show progresses.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:07 am
New Server, Same X

I liked it a lot. Not an Arrested Development-level pilot or anything, but impressive. And it'll probably only get better.

"I realize now that running probably wasn't the best choice..." Haha.

Anyone else watch The Office last night, though? Twas quite awesome.

The Office was nearly flawless last night. I loved how Michael felt so miserable about being heckled by some strangers, and the employees felt bad for him and cheered him on to present the rest of the Dundies. Oddly touching.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:23 pm
Draughty

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I've watched the pilot three times now, and it only gets funnier. Can't wait for tonight's new episode in an hour.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:06 pm
Forum General

No real laugh-out-loud moments for me this week, but it still had me smiling. Jason Lee is great.

And The Office? Awesome. Again.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

Yeah the second episode wasn't as good as the first. I hope they didn't spend al their ideas in the pilot heh.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:33 am
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

You're all drunk or stupid. Last night's episode was just as good (if not better!) than the first!

Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:15 pm
Wallflower

I didn't want to watch this because I hate hillbilly humor, but now I'll have a reason to check it out.

From http://www.annafaris.net:

Just a couple quick notes to add about upcoming projects regarding Anna and about Hurricane Katrina's aftermath. Firstly on to the the news regarding Anna. She has signed on to co-star in a new film entitled "Super Ex." She is co-star with Uma Thurman & Owen Wilson. Also the cast of "Scary Movie 4" has been updated. She is also going to guest-star in a new NBC tv show premiering this fall entitled, "My Name is Earl." Thanks to i_luv_anna & tysteel and the others for sending in this information. For all the latest regarding update film & tv info, head over to the Forums for all of that.

I love Anna Faris! She is my personal favorite actress. I'll definitely watch for her. I wonder when she'll be on? I don't want to miss it.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:15 pm
Begging Naked

You're all drunk or stupid. Last night's episode was just as good (if not better!) than the first!

I second this. Crazy man beating paperboy with newspaper = Instant great Comedy.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

I didn't want to watch this because I hate hillbilly humor, but now I'll have a reason to check it out.

Just a couple quick notes to add about upcoming projects regarding Anna and about Hurricane Katrina's aftermath. Firstly on to the the news regarding Anna. She has signed on to co-star in a new film entitled "Super Ex." She is co-star with Uma Thurman & Owen Wilson. Also the cast of "Scary Movie 4" has been updated. She is also going to guest-star in a new NBC tv show premiering this fall entitled, "My Name is Earl." Thanks to i_luv_anna & tysteel and the others for sending in this information. For all the latest regarding update film & tv info, head over to the Forums for all of that.

I love Anna Faris! She is my personal favorite actress. I'll definitely watch for her. I wonder when she'll be on? I don't want to miss it.

There are no hillbilly's in this show so far. There are trashy people but those exist from Brooklyn to San Diego and all points in between.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Mike wrote:

There are no hillbilly's in this show so far. There are trashy people but those exist from Brooklyn to San Diego and all points in between.

Well it seemed like a hillbilly/redneck show to me :tongue:.

Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:12 pm
Forum General

The Office owned.

Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next