Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The 'Reunion' Thread 
Teenage Dream

Post The 'Reunion' Thread
I just finished the series premiere of Reunion. Let me tell you it was amazing and I will be watching it all season for sure.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:42 pm
Orphan

I agree. It combined mystery with a surprising amount of heart with a liberal dose of nostalgia for good measure. With this and the fun Prison Break, Fox is on a role with their new series. I hope this gets good ratings because I want it to last. Speaking of which, is it only going to be a one season show? The plotline lends itself to a limited run (Each episode comprises an entire year in the lives of six friends, starting in 1986 and going for 20 years). I asked the same thing about Prison Break but at least that could detail the escapees in the second season. Reunion doesn't even have that option. Maybe it's for the best though if it provides a whopper of a run like the premiere did.

Also, was that Chyler Leigh as the woman talking to the police in the present? Is that also her in 1986?

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:44 pm
Orphan

I just thought of something: I don't see Reunion doing all that well considering it'll be going up against CSI once that starts. Why did Fox do that to such an original show?

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:49 pm
Grill

I just thought of something: I don't see Reunion doing all that well considering it'll be going up against CSI once that starts. Why did Fox do that to such an original show?

Yea. I was gonna watch it but then I would miss all the episodes cause of CSI. Maybe i'll tivo the shows. I don't know though.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:56 pm
Team Kris

I agree. It combined mystery with a surprising amount of heart with a liberal dose of nostalgia for good measure. With this and the fun Prison Break, Fox is on a role with their new series. I hope this gets good ratings because I want it to last. Speaking of which, is it only going to be a one season show? The plotline lends itself to a limited run (Each episode comprises an entire year in the lives of six friends, starting in 1986 and going for 20 years). I asked the same thing about Prison Break but at least that could detail the escapees in the second season. Reunion doesn't even have that option. Maybe it's for the best though if it provides a whopper of a run like the premiere did.

Also, was that Chyler Leigh as the woman talking to the police in the present? Is that also her in 1986?

I liked it too! Granted, Amanda Righetti is a horrible actress (while she was dancing to Madonna, her facial expression is laughable), the others were very capable and sparked my interest. The concept is great and the premiere still has some problems (editing and cliche dialogue) but I still would tune in to see what happens next.

If there was a 2nd season, it would center around a different group of friends - possibly including one of the characters that would appear on the show. Kind of like a spin-off, but still the same series.

Yes, that was Chyler Leigh.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:32 am
Orphan

Righetti is most definitely the weakest link as far as the cast is concerned. Leigh I thought did a great job though.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:44 am
Team Kris

Righetti is most definitely the weakest link as far as the cast is concerned. Leigh I thought did a great job though.

Yes! Leigh was very good. Too bad she's been in too many canceled Fox shows. I hope Reunion isn't one of them.

Heh, if only Leigh was cast in 24... since a couple of Not Another Teen Movie actors appeared on 24 (Mia Kirshner, Daniel Bess, Eric Christian Olsen).

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:56 am
Devil's Advocate

I loved it. Much better than expected. The 80s music was fun too.

My favorite character was Will.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:40 am
Cream of the Crop

The unique passage of time in the series, where one year is equivalent to one episode is one of the selling points of the series, but I'm not sure if it works in practice.

In the pilot a span of no more than a week is covered fully, then three months are glossed over in the form of cutaway scenes with narration. I understand the need for this, but it just lessens the coolness factor of the time lapsing. You would think that only featuring three (or so) days would limit the amount of plot devices they could throw in, but not for FOX. Let's list what is presented to us in the first 44 minutes of the series, it's enough to fill multiple seasons of Dawson's Creek, Jack and Bobby, The O.C. and even Passions (well maybe not Passions)

- Rich guy and working class guy best friends
- Drunk Driving
- Vehicular manslaughter
- Innocent passenger takes fall for drunk, rich best friend
- Innocent passenger goes to jail for best friend
- Unrequited love that turns out at the end to be requited
- Unrequited love that stays unrequited with a heartbreaking end
- Love triangle
- Teen Pregnancy
- Abortion
- Gun violence

The storyline that made me roll my eyes the most was the whole love triangle between Craig (privileged guy), Samantha (his girlfriend) and Will (best friend, who is suggested didn't get along with Samantha) I could have sworn to have seen this on Dawson's Creek in S3. Naturally for a brief time when Samantha and Craig were broken up, Will and Samantha slept together and she got pregnant. She tells Will, but later says it was a false alarm, because she's going to have an abortion. During all of this teenage craziness, Will's getting thrown in the slammer and he's okay with it because it sorts evens out the sleeping with Samantha part. He goes away thinking that there's no baby, but Samantha has other plans as she does not go through with the abortion and instead moves away from Craig, to London on a scholarship. It's still too much for a 44 minute episode.

By the end of the episode every one is going their separate ways, except for two friends who are going to London, one wasn't made entirely clear the reason why. And just when you thought 1986 was crazy, in 2005 one of the main characters all grow'd up says 1987 was even crazier!

So overall I think Reunion is worth watching, the plot moves quickly with multiple story lines going at the same time, so there's always something happening. The acting is fine, but I only really cared what happened to two of the six main characters. It maintained my interest throughout and had several moments where it peaked, most significantly and importantly at the end. Looking forward to September 15th and episode 2.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:04 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Yes, the show did indeed cover alot of ground. And for those who also watched The OC beforehand, the opening plotline regarding someone else taking blame and getting into trouble for someone else's actions was quite familiar, to say the least. Still, it was an entertaining show that I just can't fathom would ever get boring (as a result of having to cover an entire year in one episode).

Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:12 am
Orphan

Ratings Info for Premiere (From zap2it.com):

"The series premiere of "Reunion," 4.4/7, did a pretty good job of holding its lead-in audience and kept FOX in third." It decreased from the 4.8/8 that The OC received. I hope this is good enough for Fox.

Also worth noting is that for those of you who didn't catch it last night, Fox is reairing the premiere tonight at 9/8 central.

Last edited by Harry Warden on Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:54 am
Team Kris

Mediaweek reported it having 6.61 million viewers and the O.C. having a little over 7 million. And Reunion only lost an insignificant amount of viewers in its 2nd half-hour which is pretty good news.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:59 am
Speed Racer

Does anyone know if they are going to show the premiere again?

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I missed it :sad:

Does anyone know if they are going to show the premiere again?

Tonight at 9pm EST

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

but some of the acting and the lines the actors had to say were god awful.
chyler was the only one in my opinion to hold her own.

Will Estes did so much of a better job on American Dreams.
and the rest of the characters were blah.

idk i didnt think it was that great at all.

1. The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
2. The Royal Tenenbaums
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Rushmore
5. Being John Malkovich

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I thought the show had an interesting concept, but a lot of cliched dialogue and things that happened too quickly. I understand they have only an hour to show a year, but still. On the acting side, The women (particularly Chyler Leigh) were all better than the males. Sean Faris was particularly grating, but hopefully his character will grow less annoying and utterly unoriginal as the season moves on.

Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:04 pm
Orphan

"Reunion keeps hold on O.C. Viewers"

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) The series premiere of "Reunion" Thursday did a solid job of holding onto the audience from its lead-in, "The O.C.," but its real test is still a couple of weeks away.
"Reunion," a time-tripping drama that will take viewers through 20 years in the lives of six friends over the course of one season, drew about 6.6 million viewers in its debut Thursday (Sept. 8) on FOX. It was preceded by "The O.C.," which began its third year in front of 7.5 million people.

The two shows also performed fairly well among their young-adult target audiences. "The O.C." won its hour among adults 18-49 (3.3 rating) and adults 18-34 (4.4), while "Reunion" was third in adults 18-49 (3.0, behind ABC's NFL opener and CBS' "CSI") and second in the 18-34 demo (3.5, trailing ABC). Among adults 18-49, it was FOX's best 9 p.m. Thursday premiere since "Action" six years ago.

While "The O.C." was down some from its premiere last season (which came in November), it still did better than its 2004-05 season averages in viewers and FOX's key demographics. The network is most pleased, though, with the way "Reunion" held onto those viewers.
"Reunion" held onto 88 percent of its total lead-in audience and better than 90 percent of "The O.C.'s" 18-49 rating. The three shows that aired regularly in the 9 p.m. slot last year -- "North Shore," "Point Pleasant" and "Tru Calling" -- averaged only 4.1 million viewers and a 1.8 rating among adults 18-49.

ABC won the night on all counts with its season-opening NFL game, while CBS got its usual decent showing from "CSI" and Co. "Reunion" will have one more week to hook viewers before original episodes of "CSI" return to CBS and NBC begins a new season of "The Apprentice" on Sept. 22. Things get even more crowded the next week, when ABC debuts "The Night Stalker" and The WB moves "Everwood" to the 9 p.m. spot."

Sounds good so far.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:52 am
Cream of the Crop

Just a heads up, episode 2 won't be on tomorrow, it will air September 22.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Why? What's on in its place?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:56 pm
Cream of the Crop

Coverage of a speech by President Bush for approx 30-45 minutes.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Coverage of a speech by President Bush for approx 30-45 minutes.

Is The OC still airing?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:14 pm
Cream of the Crop

Yes The O.C. will air as scheduled, there aren't any interruptions with the 8 o'clock hour.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

WTF! Why? This sucks!

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:45 pm
Orphan

AgentX wrote:

WTF! Why? This sucks!

President Bush is going to bore us (or entertain depending on whether you find his inability at public speaking amusing) with another speech, about what I don't know although I'm guessing the war in Iraq and Hurricane Katrina will come up.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:47 pm
Teenage Dream

I just discovered they are re-airing the pilot AGAIN on Friday at 9pm. Why not just air the new episode on Friday?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next