Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Should I watch Friends or The Office first? 
The Wall

Post Re: Should I watch Friends or The Office first?
I understood he was raised on English food (him being English and all), hence the preference. Which is understandable. But yeah, English traditional meals are not that good.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:18 am
Profile WWW
now we know

At least we have a cuisine, unlike the US that has nothing. And Croatian cuisine. Hmmm. Must be lovely. So lovely, in fact, that it stays firmly within Croatia.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:16 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Ah, the ignorance.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Thai food is the best!

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:19 pm
On autopilot for the summer

The first season of Friends is horribly dated, but once you get past that, it coasts pretty well until it's lazy final season. The Office is great, and pretty much just stop when Carrell leaves.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:05 pm
now we know

I don't get the dated argument. I think it's stupid.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Season 1 is kinda lame.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:47 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

I like Season 1. It captures the era well and sure the show as finding its feet with the best yet to come like most sitcoms.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:46 pm
100% That Bitch

why is Friends making such a big comeback in mainstream media?

Like it always has been present but this year it´s pretty much everywhere.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:13 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

90s nostalgia. 20 years since its peak.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:30 pm
now we know

The news earlier this year of a comeback also probably helped a bit.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Mau wrote:
why is Friends making such a big comeback in mainstream media?

Like it always has been present but this year it´s pretty much everywhere.

I think Friends is killing on Netflix and not just for people who've seen it before

http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/20-somet ... c-v-r.html

Quote:
When the TV critic Andy Greenwald, who is 38, returned to his high school near Philadelphia last May to speak to students about his job, he wondered how it would go. After all, today’s students are a digital generation who have only a vague association with the concept of “TV.” Sure enough, when Greenwald mentioned his job to them, one student in the group asked, “So what does that mean? Do you, like, watch Netflix?” Greenwald said, sure, he watches Netflix, since watching original streaming programming — on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, wherever — is all part of covering the complex new television landscape. Then he asked the teenagers if they watch Netflix. They said, enthusiastically, Yes. So he asked them what they like to watch on Netflix. They said, ­enthusiastically, Friends.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:09 am
Hold the door!

Freinds was a good choice, though I don't know how they made ten seasons. I'm at the end of season 3 and it already seems like I've been watching it forever.

I do know the big spoilers (Monica/Chandler, Ross and Rachel ain't done yet, etc.).

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:51 pm
New Server, Same X

Does Friends translate to a new audience? Friends will always do well with those that grew up in that era, especially if they watched it during that time. But I don't know, do younger audiences watch it now? Feels like something where you had to be growing up at that time.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:02 pm
Sbil

Mister Ecks wrote:
Does Friends translate to a new audience? Friends will always do well with those that grew up in that era, especially if they watched it during that time. But I don't know, do younger audiences watch it now? Feels like something where you had to be growing up at that time.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/20-somet ... c-v-r.html

See the article Shack posted in this thread earlier. Friends is picking up bucketloads of younger viewers on a daily basis largely thanks to the Netflix streaming.

FWIW, it is still and will always be my favorite show. I think I have seen every episode at least 20 times at this point.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:23 pm
Cream of the Crop

Libs wrote:
FWIW, it is still and will always be my favorite show.
That's a pessimistic prediction. :(

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:28 am
Forum General

Mister Ecks wrote:

Between TBS and Nick @ Nite I think there are something like 8 reruns airing on any given weekday.

I think the humor translates well, for the most part. The show always lived and died by the cast chemistry.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:39 am
Hold the door!

Rachel is such a c*** to Ross. She is obviously still in love with him despite his supposed cheating ( I'm in the "they WERE on a break camp, so no he was not cheating. She had a right to be hurt that he slept with someone else so fast, but still it was NOT cheating, so it is not a trust issue but a bitterness. She wants to feel dominant over Ross by making him agree to take all the blame for their problems, and that is just not right. And breaking up Ross and Bonnie just to assert her dominance makes it even worse. I'm at the point where I want to punch her in the face every time she is on screen. I know their relationship is a plot point for the remainder of the series, but Ross deserves much better than her.

THEY WERE ON A BREAK!

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:43 pm
Hold the door!

tree and a half wrote:
Libs wrote:
FWIW, it is still and will always be my favorite show.
That's a pessimistic prediction. :(

I don't think so. I'm sure that Harry Potter will forever be my favorite book series and Order of the Phoenix will always be my favorite book.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:45 pm
Forum General

zwackerm wrote:
Rachel is such a c*** to Ross. She is obviously still in love with him despite his supposed cheating ( I'm in the "they WERE on a break camp, so no he was not cheating. She had a right to be hurt that he slept with someone else so fast, but still it was NOT cheating, so it is not a trust issue but a bitterness. She wants to feel dominant over Ross by making him agree to take all the blame for their problems, and that is just not right. And breaking up Ross and Bonnie just to assert her dominance makes it even worse. I'm at the point where I want to punch her in the face every time she is on screen. I know their relationship is a plot point for the remainder of the series, but Ross deserves much better than her.

THEY WERE ON A BREAK!

The awkward inanity of the Rachel/Joey pairing will have you longing for the days of Ross n' Rachel.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:39 pm
Superman: The Movie

Damn, I wish I saw this thread back a couple of months ago. It'd be interesting to go back and give Friends a rewatch. It was a good show, I liked it at the time, it works in the old traditional sitcom model, but I'd actually find it interesting to go back and count how many black people were on the show total. I know that's an obvious criticism that's been thrown at the show for years, but I never paid attention to it. I'm genuinely curious how many black people had a significant role throughout the show's run. Is it bad that the only person I can think of is Aisha Tyler?

And zwack, definitely check out The Office next, especially if you like Modern Family. As thompson mentioned, it's a little rough through the first six episodes (though still very watchable), but it finds its groove in season two.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Jiffy wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

THEY WERE ON A BREAK!

The awkward inanity of the Rachel/Joey pairing will have you longing for the days of Ross n' Rachel.

I think it worked because Aniston and LeBlanc made it work, but it was clear the writers were biding their time until the last episode. I don't think anyone seriously believed they'd wind up together at the end.

If the show wasn't such a cash cow for NBC, the producers/writers, and the actors, the show probably would've been better off ending around season 6-7.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I vividly remember them starting to promote season 9 of "Friends" as the last season on NBC and then they made that unprecedented deal for the tenth season where everyone was making 1 Million an episode. The promos went from super dramatic and nostalgic to lightweight (the last four episodes of the season!)

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:53 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

Rachel/Joey really worked when it was Joey having an unrequited crush on Rachel (largely thanks to the fantastic work Matt LeBlanc did that season), but was a massive flop when they actually put them together. Thankfully they nixed it quickly.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:11 pm
now we know

Jmart wrote:
I'm genuinely curious how many black people had a significant role throughout the show's run. Is it bad that the only person I can think of is Aisha Tyler?

And even she did her best impression of a white person.

The lack of black people was probably why everyone loved Friends. I mean, they were hardly tons of white people on The Cosby Show or Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next