Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 "Alias" in uncertain times 
Full Fledged Member

Post "Alias" in uncertain times
Excerpt Taken from my own site http://naturalflux7.com/showthread.php?p=6196

========================
"As feared by many millions of avid "Alias" fans across the globe, it seems ABC are re-evaluating their ties to "Alias" after having two hit dramas in "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives"

"Desperate Housewives" has been confirmed as ordered through till May. The problem with that being that "Alias" was said to be taking over from "Desperate Housewives" in January. A repeat of "Desperate Housewives" is likely to pull more viewers in than a fresh episode of "Alias"

At the same time the shows star, Jennifer Garner, has been negotiating movie projects such as the early gold from the writer of "Erin Brokovich" "Catch and Release".
==================

I am for one very worried about the whole "Alias" issue this season. I was far happier when "Alias" was ABC'S big thing. But season 3 had shoddy ratings and season 4 looks uncertain because ABC are notoriously fickle. :cry:

Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Some certian Jeniffer Garner fan, whose name I shall not mention, will be awfully upset to hear this news...

Last edited by snack on Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:14 pm
Full Fledged Member

Some certian Jeniffer Gardener fan, whose name I shall not mention, will be awfully upset to hear this news...

I am very upset to hear this news too!

Its by far the best show in television history and nearly all of its fans are AVID fans. If ABC did cancel this show, which has the biggest ratings of any cult television series, you can only imagine the giant backlash.

But lets not jump to conclusions. ALIAS is still filming, and at the start of the season it was almost a lock for a full season being shown. I think they may just move the show.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Some certian Jeniffer Gardener fan, whose name I shall not mention, will be awfully upset to hear this news...

First, Jennifer Garner. Second, you're damned right I am. I would hate to see this show die so soon. At least I have all three seasons to warm me up, if it doesn't come back. But still, why can't they at least try Alias after Lost? The Bachelor is floundering, as is Friday nights, so move The Bachelor to Fridays, to see if they can build something there. It makes sense. The luck of us Alias fans... ABC will move Alias to Friday, or worse... Saturday. I have the feeling if it does come back, it will be the last season, unless ABC makes the right choice.

Then again, ABC ONLY has two hits on their hands. Their comedies range from mediocre ratings to downright awful. They only have two reliable dramas in Desperate and Lost. Monday Night Football is finished mid-season. Don't count Alias out, yet. I highly doubt ABC is overrun with dramas, only thanks to having two smash hits.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:36 pm
Full Fledged Member

ABC cancelling Alias, my favourite show EVER, would be a bad idea. They would have to face the backlash which would potentially hurt both DH and Lost's ratings, and they would loose what tv critics call ABC'S media whoore. ALIAS not only provides the sophistocated and edgy front for ABC, but its also by far its most critically acclaimed show. Its always up for awards and the ratings havent ever been BAD, just Mediocre to Good. On a non-American Idol season, "24" cant even match Alias in the ratings.

Jennifer Garner has also provided alot of media hype for the network, shes the flagship actress who fronts the major shows and is always there to smile with the ABC.Disney brand.

It would not be a wise idea, however, ABC have been known to make dumb ideas

Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

One thing that worries me is Jennifer's movie career. They could see her movie offers being a way to end this show. Maybe if Boston Legal keeps slipping, Alias could go in its place.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:29 pm
Full Fledged Member

One thing that worries me is Jennifer's movie career. They could see her movie offers being a way to end this show. Maybe if Boston Legal keeps slipping, Alias could go in its place.

Shes destined to be a giant star wether Alias finishes in one season, or two, or three. Even if Alias ends after 10 years you can still see Jennifer being a big Hollywood draw.

Her "Catch" role could be her path to the awards already. Its about a widow who unravels secrets of her husbands past from the writer of "Erin" and "28 Days".

i updated the NF7 article with some new information and POV's.

The Alias fan community is already whipping up into a frantic frenzy before ABC have even said if Alias is moving night or whatever. Maybe its all premature. Alias fans are like that though, we have lived with the threat of cancellation for most of its run because its such an expensive show to make.

Apparently things onset Season 4 are set to blow the audiences away, with Abrams fresh from creating Lost, i can almost guarantee its going to be alot fresher than the stale season 3.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I don't think Alias is THAT expensive to make. I remember reading that, for its content, Alias was actually rather cheap to make. Don't quote me on it, but I believe I have read that somewhere.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:30 pm
Full Fledged Member

Bravo, the UK screener of Alias reports that the show costs "as much as most small movies do for one episode". It indicated a cost of well over $1m an episode.

But they HAVE been ordering Alias to cut down on costs, hence the less action approach of season 3.

Jennifer Garner gets $150k an episode now though, by the time casting costs are covered its about $400-500k gone already....

Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Bravo, the UK screener of Alias reports that the show costs "as much as most small movies do for one episode". It indicated a cost of well over $1m an episode.

But they HAVE been ordering Alias to cut down on costs, hence the less action approach of season 3.

Jennifer Garner gets $150k an episode now though, by the time casting costs are covered its about $400-500k gone already....

True. Well, if the show cost that much in the first two seasons, and they still brought it back each year, now for a fourth, I don't think they'll let it go so soon.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:20 pm
Sbil

Who said ABC would actually cancel Alias because Desperate Housewives is popular?

I would guess that ABC will move The Bachelor to Monday night, and Alias will resumt the 9:00 Wednesday slot, right after Lost.

Or, that's what they would do if they were smart.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:29 pm
New Server, Same X

Who said ABC would actually cancel Alias because Desperate Housewives is popular?

I would guess that ABC will move The Bachelor to Monday night, and Alias will resumt the 9:00 Wednesday slot, right after Lost.

Or, that's what they would do if they were smart.

That's what I pray for Libs. These rumors were probably started by some kid exclaiming "HOUSEWIVES A HIT!!!!1111 ALIAS WILL B CANCELLAD!!!111" on an Alias message board, and now everyone thinks the show is done. I truly hope ABC takes the opportunity to launch Alias after Lost.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:14 am
Full Fledged Member

its the sensible thing to do. ABC probobly wont re-evaluate ALIAS until the end of season 4. They would be wise to see how it does in the 9pm Wed slot after Lost, [permitting they actually advertise the crap out of it] and then let it rip. Ratings should be up from the previous season [although Alias is a hard show to follow, four seasons in may be too deep for most] but if they are down the axe is pretty likely.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:43 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

its the sensible thing to do. ABC probobly wont re-evaluate ALIAS until the end of season 4. They would be wise to see how it does in the 9pm Wed slot after Lost, [permitting they actually advertise the crap out of it] and then let it rip. Ratings should be up from the previous season [although Alias is a hard show to follow, four seasons in may be too deep for most] but if they are down the axe is pretty likely.

I heard this season was supposed to be easier to follow, but that also sounds like "dumbing down" the show, for average America (and the average world, I guess).

Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:30 am
Full Fledged Member

lol not for the average world, just for average america!
:D

Im kidding....well a little.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

lol not for the average world, just for average america!
:D

Im kidding....well a little.

Hehe, good enough. I live in Canada, so that means little if you insult America. :wink:

Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:23 pm
Draughty

They should just cancel the show. Let Jennifer go off and do some movies and learn that she isn't a real movie star, let the producer of Alias do Lost for a few seasons, then they can all come back and do Alias again in 3 years with a fresh start.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

They should just cancel the show. Let Jennifer go off and do some movies and learn that she isn't a real movie star, let the producer of Alias do Lost for a few seasons, then they can all come back and do Alias again in 3 years with a fresh start.

Are you trying to give me a seizure?
DONT SPEAK OF SUCH THINGS

Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
rustiphica

Good thinking.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:48 pm
You must have big rats

I find Alias a more interesting series than Lost and Desperate Housewives together, so I wpuld not want it to get cancelled...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an excerpt from an interview with J.J. Abrams where he talks the 4th season of Alias (WARNING, SEASON 3 SPOILERS AHEAD):

TV Guide Online: Many fans were thrilled when Vaughn (Michael Vartan) shot his wicked wife Lauren (Melissa George) in last May's finale. Is she really dead?
J.J. Abrams: Melissa is not coming back at the moment. I know some fans were frustrated, but I'm ultimately proud of last year. I'm being optimistic here, but I think Season 3 will actually improve, in retrospect, because we'll see where it went. The stories we're telling now use the best of last year to build the foundation of what happens now.

TVGO: So where does the show go next?
Abrams: I think one of the biggest mistakes I made last year was to let story and plot dictate episodes rather than have our characters run the show. There was no more Sydney as a real, normal person. [This season] we'll get a sense of her as a person, not just a suit. Part of it will be through her relationship with Vaughn, part of it will be seeing her at home, part of it will be through her relationship with her sister, played by Mia Maestro. She will be a regular this season.

TVGO: The mysterious info Sydney found in that Wittenberg bank will undoubtedly strain her relationship with Dad.
Abrams: That cliff-hanger figures prominently in the two-hour premiere. By the end of it, you will know what Jack did and what the ramifications are.

Full Interview Here:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/041022a.asp

Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

:? Right, because you know everything. I may act like I know something, but I don't know everything.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:34 pm
Full Fledged Member

lol, Dont worry. ALIAS IS LIKE MOTHER NATURE.

Its unpredictable
Its HOT
Its risky
Its VITAL
and most of all. Its run by ABC

Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

lol, Dont worry. ALIAS IS LIKE MOTHER NATURE.

Its unpredictable
Its HOT
Its risky
Its VITAL
and most of all. Its run by ABC

FOX runs hell. Maybe if Alias was canceled, it would go to hell and end up on FOX. :lol:

Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:04 pm
Full Fledged Member

if FOX runs hell, does NBC run "Culturally diverse but not so funny any more comedy land"

Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

if FOX runs hell, does NBC run "Culturally diverse but not so funny any more comedy land"

If NBC ran anything, it would be a retirement home. Even CBS has been able to find shows that appeal to people under the age of 80.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next