Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Fringe 
Teenage Dream

Post Fringe

Anyone else looking forward to this?

Mon May 26, 2008 2:24 am
The Wall

Post Re: Fringe
According toThe Futon's First Look (which usually is right about the show quality) it's really good.

Mon May 26, 2008 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'll definitely be tuning it. This, Dollhouse and 90210 are the only pilots I'm remotely interested in this fall.

Mon May 26, 2008 2:05 pm
Profile YIM
No Wire Tampons!

It looks like JJ Abrams has ran out of ideas, so fused Alias and Lost into the same show and threw in a bit of X Files for good measure.

Tue May 27, 2008 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

What if JJ Abrams fused Alias, Lost and... Felicity!

Tue May 27, 2008 10:54 am
The Wall

I just saw the pre-air pilot. And I didn't find it very good. There aren't any spoilers (I think :sweat: ).

The beginning is really good. It plays out like a nice X-Files case setup. But when the main lead comes on screen everything goes downhill. I could not stand her throughout the whole pilot. She was annoying, bland and bad. The whole series is kinda lousily acted (who casted Joshua Jackson?!?!?!). The eccentric doctor that saves the day is the only good part of the whole cast. He's really wacky and works really well because of the lines he's been given (My favorite one on test subjects goes something like this: "It's always best to have humans. Cows are the next best thing. Unless you want some milk. Then you definitely need a cow.").

The whole plot is campy as hell. And everything that happens on screen is sooooo campy. But everyone acts so serious and the feeling is that something didn't click as it was supposed to. Maybe they were too serious, or maybe the plot came out too campy, but there is potential here, so I hope they fix it in the following episodes.

The twists are neat. Especially the last one. But it was poorly handled. Of course they introduced a plot device that feels like it will be a cop out for a lot of future plot problems, so I'm interested to see how they will handle all that. They left like almost anything you could imagine possible, so I hope they start limiting the possibilities pretty fast or else this will be another Lost where nothing ever gets answered. But they don't have a great cast here so they won't be able to shift the focus and the mystery to them.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

New ad.

Premiere is in 3 days, September 9th.

I like Anna Torv but the rest of the cast seems meh.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Looks derivative and altogether not very interesting. Wonder what kind of ratings it'll get?

Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:10 pm
New Server, Same X

I liked it. I don't think it's the next X-Files (neXt-Files?), but I'll keep watching. I won't let an average pilot decide a show for me.

And to go against the consensus of critics, I don't really mind Joshua Jackson (coming from someone who really couldn't have cared either away about Jackson before Fringe). They could tone down his sarcasm a bit. He's not Dr. House. But other than that, he's fine.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:03 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Solid first episode. It wasn't instantly addicting like Lost but it was really well-acted and intriguing, and the production values were amazing for a television series. I'll continue to watch.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:07 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

I liked it. I didn't see the plot twist coming. John Nobel is great as the crazy scientist.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

i meant to watch this. I got drunk instead.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:26 am
Draughty

I wanted to like this but it was very boring and the cast was mostly mediocre. It seemed like something written in 2002, with dated post-911 politics and a visual style that looked like Without a Trace.

Last edited by A. G. on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Just watching it now. When exactly did Joshua Jackson decide he wanted to be George Clooney?

Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:15 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The opening the great, the rest would be ok if not for the presence of Abrams meaning im just waiting until he gets bored and fucks the audience up the ass.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:46 pm
Town Bike

Wow, I can't really add anything to the comments already here. I would only be echoing. Great beginning. Horrible female lead. Joshua Jackson's interpretation of his character needs to be retooled. The plots need to be slightly less wacky. Also, stop shoving "sexual tension" into my face. I don't want it, and I won't buy it.

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:03 pm
Forum General

bring back ABC's Traveler and drop this.

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:31 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Last night's episode was better than the pilot, but it's still just "solid" and there's something missing from it that keeps it from being great. I'll stick with it for a few more episodes before deciding if I want to add it to my schedule.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:27 pm
Profile YIM
Stanley Cup

not going to lie, I loved the first episode. Haven't seen the second episode yet. The female lead is a bit weak.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:19 pm
Forum General

Eh I usually don't like these kind of shows nowadays but for some reason I liked this one. I watched both episodes and I liked it quite a bit. The only problem I have with the show is that it is kinda easy to tell who is hiding something and doing bad things aka the lead girl's boyfriend who was working for massive dynamics? and the professor in second episode lying about not conducting the experiments.

I like the sci-fi mumbo jumbo shit the scientist talks. It is fun.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Well the one good thing I can see is this show just might avoid being as pointlessly convoluted as Alias or Lost.

That said its still uneven X-Files substitution

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:11 pm
The Wall

I rewatched the pilot and I stand by my original assesment. And as far as I remember the aired pilot is the same as the screener one from a few months ago.

As far as the second episode goes, I still don't buy Anna Torv. She's horrible. They are still missing the general atmosphere, it still balances between being too campy and being too serious and for my taste that's not a good match. Stick to the one or the other and it will be good.

As far as the Pattern goes... "Someone paid my father to do it." was a lame way of trying to connect the events of the second episode to the Pattern. If someone really was using a world as a test playground, I doubt the approved way of providing the needed material would be kidnapping hookers and killing them and then just leaving them there, without any better way of disposing the bodies. It's too messy for a supposedly very sinister and highly secretive plan.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:11 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Tonght's episode was very good. I'm still not *loving* this series, but it's definitely entertaining and intriguing, and the production values are amazing. The plot twist in this one was kind of obvious though. The second episode still remains the best though.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:59 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran

I guess it wasn't just me that thought of this as a re-interpretation of Altered States 3 decades later, with some strains of the Night Stalker/X-Files(which was basically an update of NS). Emily Jessup (Blair Brown) was the only one stable enough to make the experiments commercially viable.

Quote:
"It wasn't, like, 'OK, let's do The X-Files again," Abrams said in a news conference at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour. 'It was, 'What kind of show is something we would tune in to see?' And I thought I would get slammed sort of doing the David Cronenberg, 'Altered States' stuff, because that was always something I was obsessed with when I was growing up."

The pilot for the new Fox series includes a scene in which a main character floats in an isolation tank a la the 1980 sci-fi movie "Altered States." Plus, "Fringe" has one of the people who were a part of that movie, star Blair Brown.

http://www.syfyportal.com/news425216.html

Uneven at times, and the writing is kind of pedestrian but it is worth it just for the character of Dr. Bishop and the performance of John Noble. Also, very nice to see Blair Brown again.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

The Ghost Network was an OK ep. I love watching Noble and (never thought I'd say this) Jackson. They really make it worth watching with their father-son relationship and their one-liners.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next