Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Good Bye Star Trek Enterprise 
Post Good Bye Star Trek Enterprise
http://www.trektoday.com/news/020205_04.shtml

UPN and Paramount Network Television have jointly announced that this will be the final season of Star Trek: Enterprise on UPN. [Production will continue until the end of this season, which will finish shooting in March.] The series finale will air on Friday, May 13, 2005.

"Star Trek has been an important part of UPN's history, and Enterprise has carried on the tradition of its predecessors with great distinction," said Dawn Ostroff, President, Entertainment, UPN. "We'd like to thank Rick Berman, Brannon Braga and an incredibly talented cast for creating an engaging, new dimension to the Star Trek universe on UPN, and we look forward to working with them, and our partners at Paramount Network Television, on a send-off that salutes its contributions to The Network and satisfies its loyal viewers."

David Stapf, President of Paramount Network Television, said, "The creators, stars and crew of Star Trek: Enterprise ambitiously and proudly upheld the fine traditions of the Star Trek franchise. We are grateful for their contributions to the legacy of Trek and commend them on completing nearly 100 exciting, dramatic and visually stunning episodes. All of us at Paramount warmly bid goodbye to Enterprise, and we all look forward to a new chapter of this enduring franchise in the future."

A prequel to the original "Star Trek" series, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE premiered on UPN on Sept. 26, 2001, and aired for its first three seasons on Wednesdays (8:00-9:00PM, ET/PT). On Oct. 8, 2004, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE moved into its current time on Fridays (8:00-9:00PM, ET/PT). Through its four-year run, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE produced a total of 98 episodes and earned four Emmy Awards.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:24 pm
I liked the show and thought it was heading in the right direction.

Well at least season 1 is being released soon.

I wonder what the next series will be like.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:25 pm
Draughty

I liked it more than Voyager or DS9 but then I pretty much loathed them. Enterprise always seemed like it could have been good but that they just didn't think it through enough.

- They needed a bigger cast and more extras.
- T'Pol should have become the gf of the captain not the engineer. She would have humanized his character and made him seem more interesting.
- The villains were never very interesting, the most interesting one I saw was the episode where they had some bandit types try to outrageously take over and steal their ship. I wish they'd have explored that angle more.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

I feel really comforted by the fact that there are other fans here on the board. I didn't want to post anything, because it seem's most Trek fans are shot down and laughed at. What a horrible, horrible day. Season 4 was so amazing, and I don't know what I'm going now..... As a very, very big Star Trek fan, I am too sad for words right now. I feel like I was shot in the chest with a bullet.

Oh, and I refuse to buy a single product from Paramount. I won't pump out a single cent of my money for the DVDs, as much as I want them. I can tape the weekend reruns. But over my dead body will they ever have my money.

A sad and disgruntled fan.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I watched Voyager [geek] but this was like the worst show ever. No Jeri Ryan? PFFFT.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

There will be a new one? I'm glad. Not for me, cause I never took to Star Trek, but TV without Star Trek is like the Earth without the moon surrounding it. Maybe I'll even start watching the next series. I liked it, but never took to watching any of them consistently.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:55 pm
Hot Fuss

I watched Voyager [geek] but this was like the worst show ever. No Jeri Ryan? PFFFT.

Eh. Voyager was the worst. But, I won't get into an arugement. I'm for too irrational at this point. Besides, I need to clean up the blood on my floor. I just murdered Les Moonves and am now carrying his head on a pitchfork. Never underestimate the pissy Trekker.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

I think Stateswise, it was a mistake to move it to a Friday night when people tend to begin unwinding for the weekend activities and stepping out! Who was the moron to make that executive decision? :roll:

Most programmes moving to a Friday evening after having a dedicated weekday following is most likely the death of it!

A sad, sad day indeed!

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Now now, I don't like admitting it either, but Enterprise wasn't getting the greatest ratings on Wednesday. Whereas a show like America's Next Top Model is getting a lot better ratings in the time slot. SAD, but true.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:22 pm
Hot Fuss

Nooooooooooooooooooo!! :cry:

I think Stateswise, it was a mistake to move it to a Friday night when people tend to begin unwinding for the weekend activities and stepping out! Who was the moron to make that executive decision? :roll:

Most programmes moving to a Friday evening after having a dedicated weekday following is most likely the death of it!

A sad, sad day indeed!

UPN put it there to die. They had no intentions of keeping the show on further. But it still hurts to see that also Moonves pull the plug. That man is the death of Star Trek. But, I think fans will have the last laugh when UPN goes offline in a few years. Hell, he is dropping Smackdown too. Just because it isn't dripping with estrogen or African American oriented, too. They apparently care more about image than making money. That's fine. Whatever.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
New Server, Same X

Mirûvor wrote:
Nooooooooooooooooooo!! :cry:

A sad, sad day indeed!

UPN put it there to die. They had no intentions of keeping the show on further. But it still hurts to see that also Moonves pull the plug. That man is the death of Star Trek. But, I think fans will have the last laugh when UPN goes offline in a few years. Hell, he is dropping Smackdown too. Just because it isn't dripping with estrogen or African American oriented, too. They apparently care more about image than making money. That's fine. Whatever.

Whoa whoa whoa. You sure about Smackdown? I'm probably the only wrestling fan here, and I usually visit the wrestling sites for news, and I recall them striking a deal for Smackdown. Do you watch wrestling? I thought maybe you confused it with Raw, which is currently on Spike TV, but being looked at by the USA Channel. Anyway, Mr. Mediaweek (who only says something right half the time) continuously calls Smackdown reliable for UPN. Not that he's always right, evidently, but it is pretty reliable for UPN. If this is true that Moonves is considering dropping Smackdown, then I strongly agree. Enterprise wasn't a big loss for me, but I understand the idiocy behind the decision. But Smackdown is always a reliable show on Thursdays. NOTHING could generate ratings half as good for UPN on Thursday. I guarantee that.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:44 pm
Cream of the Crop

UPN decided not to renew their contract with Smackdown I think it expires August 2006. I'm not sure of the date but I'm sure that UPN decided not to renew it. Not to say it won't air on Spike or some other network, but UPN will be done with it.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Yes, X, I don't watch wrestling, but soon you can be in the same boat as me: fan of a series ditched by UPN. Shame.

You can thank Moonves for that, too.

Oh, and I doubt any Viacom channel will pick it up, too. POSSIBLY SPike. But I seriously doubt it.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Cream of the Crop

Actually, after rummaging through some internet articles Smackdown's fate is still up in the air and apparently the Viacom executive's comments about it's "cancellation" were taken out of context. I just remember reading the initial story which apparently was the out of context one. So who knows there may be hope for UPN Smackdown after all.

As for Enterprise, I'm not sure if its ratings have taken a hit since its return from holiday break but I'm sure SciFi's schedule changes had a bit of an impact on the numbers. Stargate SG1 beat Enterprise this week in total viewers. As for the future of Trek, Enterprise has been sold to 90% of the syndication market and Paramount has an expressed interest in seeing another incarnation.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Actually, after rummaging through some internet articles Smackdown's fate is still up in the air and apparently the Viacom executive's comments about it's "cancellation" were taken out of context. I just remember reading the initial story which apparently was the out of context one. So who knows there may be hope for UPN Smackdown after all.

As for Enterprise, I'm not sure if its ratings have taken a hit since its return from holiday break but I'm sure SciFi's schedule changes had a bit of an impact on the numbers. Stargate SG1 beat Enterprise this week in total viewers. As for the future of Trek, Enterprise has been sold to 90% of the syndication market and Paramount has an expressed interest in seeing another incarnation.

LAst I heard on Smackdown was Moonves saying it was done on UPN and it didn't conform to their new image.

Stargate and Enterprise are killing eachother in the ratings. Both are bleading viewers to eachother. Unfortunately, SG1 doesnt have to move because it was confirmed for another season, as you know. So, that killed Enterprise. The syndication will only begin to cover the costs lost from this season. I just think Star Trek is dead. It is way too expensive for today's cheap reality market. And Les Moonves CLEARLY does not want Trek on the air. Unfortunately, he is in charge of Paramount and UPN, both of which are Trek's outlet in movie and TV.

BTW, before the return of Stargate Enterprise was pulling up to 3.33m viewers or so.

And, the SG1 finals haven't appeared to my knowledge. While it had a very slight lead over Enterprise in the overnights, it might not have had an actually higher number of viewers. The overnight rating simply gauges the amount of households watching the show, not taking into effect the coverage of scifi. That gives UPN the advantage, as they cover roughly 83 percent of America vs. SciFi's 76 percent. Either way, it is very close. Not good for Enterprise, but not good enough for scifi to be assclowns about it imho.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

The son of STAR TREK creator Gene Roddenberry, Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry, offers his thoughts on the cancellation of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE after four seasons in an interview today with SyFy Portal.

"It's definitely not something that I take lightly," Roddenberry told SyFy Portal's Michael Hinman. "My immediate response is that you (Paramount) did it to yourselves, and it was a long time coming. But then I sit down and look within, and there's really an emptiness there for me, and an immediate fear. I can't imagine how the people who work on the show, who have been pouring their heart and soul into it for the last 18 years, are feeling right now."

Roddenberry visited ENTERPRISE yesterday before the news and says he could feel an ominous sense of forboding.

"I was on the lot yesterday, and I spoke with literally everyone," he said. "The feeling there is that CBS doesn't know what they have with Star Trek. They don't know what it's about, they don't know what it is. I thought Paramount had enough issues on how important the fans are, now we have to start all over again."

He says fans can be assured of at least one thing: "I don't think this is a nail in the coffin, no way. STAR TREK will come back. There's no doubt. I don't know when, maybe five, 10 or 15 years, but it will come back."

from trekweb.

nice article.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Cream of the Crop

Stargate SG1 isn't bleeding viewers, that would indicate a loss of viewers. SG1 is up in all demographics since its winter premiere a week ago:
Quote:
Versus its January 21 premiere, SG-1 is up +6% in HH ratings, +3% in P2+, +10% in P25-54 and +2% in P18-49.

While I agree that it would help both series' if they weren't competing against each other, I can't quite bring myself to use the term bleeding. As for Enterprise, I'll still watch it until the finale May 19th and see how they wrap up the show. The finales of Star Treks are often the better episodes of the series' - I even liked Endgame.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Stargate SG1 isn't bleeding viewers, that would indicate a loss of viewers. SG1 is up in all demographics since its winter premiere a week ago:
Quote:
Versus its January 21 premiere, SG-1 is up +6% in HH ratings, +3% in P2+, +10% in P25-54 and +2% in P18-49.

While I agree that it would help both series' if they weren't competing against each other, I can't quite bring myself to use the term bleeding. As for Enterprise, I'll still watch it until the finale May 19th and see how they wrap up the show. The finales of Star Treks are often the better episodes of the series' - I even liked Endgame.

Yes, it is loosing viewers. I don't have a source off the top of my head, but I am 100 percent positive that it is down signifigantly from last midseason, (or, from the last string of episodes in the summer rather). It isn't doing as well. Both shows are struggling.

Oh, and I hated Endgame. Yech. Worst of all, Berman & Braga are writing the last episode. It will probably have time travel. Boo.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
I'm happy to see I'm not the only Trek fan here. Often, because of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, Trek fans are forgotten.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam :mad:

Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:03 pm
Cream of the Crop

Yes, it is loosing viewers. I don't have a source off the top of my head, but I am 100 percent positive that it is down signifigantly from last midseason, (or, from the last string of episodes in the summer rather). It isn't doing as well. Both shows are struggling.

It's down .3 of a ratings point from it's summer premiere (2.4), which was the highest rated episode in SG1's history. It's up from the end of the summer season which concluded mid September. The last two episodes ratings before break:
Quote:
8x09“Sacrifices” — 1.7
8x10 “Endgame” — 1.8

Source
First two during winter season:
8x11 Gemini - 2.0
8x12 Prometheus Unbound - 2.1
It has been rising in ratings for three consecutive episodes, struggling is not a word I would use. I would have been amazed if it would have beat its summer premiere as then it only had to compete against reruns, now it has network tv competition. I'll concede that some episodes during the summer (New Order -2.4, Zero Hour -2.2, Icon -2.2, Covenant -2.1) have done a bit better than these two winter ones but it's not a significant amount. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the 'struggling' SG1.

As for Enterprise, I look forward to catching it in syndication and hope that it will find an audience and lead to a new Trek, maybe not on network TV, but maybe in syndication like TNG and DS9. I do wonder if they are going to do a relaunch in book form, I followed the DS9 ones and VOY ones and they are at times better than the series they represent. I'll be interested to see how they choose to end the show, both DS9 and VOY had something to tie up, dare I hope we see the birth of the Federation? I think it would mess with continuity, but its not like Enterprise hasn't done that before.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

We won't see the birth of the federation, not unless there is a time jump. I doubt it. then again, B&B love to use time jumps... ugh....

Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I do hope they can bring Star Trek back in some way - Voyager was a pretty good show, although it sucked until Jeri Ryan and the Borg came.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
There are a few online petitions to save the show.

http://www.saveenterprise.com/

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:02 am
Hot Fuss

I have a small favor to ask some of you. There is a simple, easy, and FREE way to help us trekkies.

Send your faxe to
Saveenterprise@interpage.net
Subject= Enterprise

Type whatever message you want in the body of the email. Interpage will convert it to a fax and send it to CBS, UPN, Viacom and Paramount.

You are basically just sending an email. The only difference is that interpage.net converts your email into a fax and sends it to 11 networks in one email.. So please keep in mind that when you do this, you are actually sending email to
UPN
Viacom
CBS
Paramount
all in one email

How cool and simple is that. Every email you send, you are sending 11 faxes.. This is just the start.. We are trying to make this as simple as we can for the members and hard as we can on everyone else.

Thank you very much, if any of you bother.

Also, there are some rumors going on that Rick Berman, the man in charge of Trek, is actually shopping the show behind the scenes. We'll see.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander and Chef

never aseen enterprise. voyager was okay. DS9 i used to loathe till one summer when they used to show 1 episode everyday and realized how epic the show really was. oh wells. I'll catch it sometime.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next