Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 'The Comeback' Thread 
Forum General

The barfing was gross. Funny, though. I laughed out loud.

Season finale tomorrow.

Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Valerie finally let loose. Too bad it was so late in the season's run that something actually happened, though.

Before, I would've said good riddance, but I'm actually rooting for a second season now. We'll see.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:10 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

It was actually a pretty good finale.

Valerie finally let loose. Too bad it was so late in the season's run that something actually happened, though.

Before, I would've said good riddance, but I'm actually rooting for a second season now. We'll see.

Yeah, the finale was the best episode of the season, I thought.

I'm not exactly sure why Paulie G. interviewed that he thought she was so terrific, though, given how much he's hated her all season. Guess he's, like Valerie, probably trying to shield his true self in front of the camera.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:58 am
Extra on the Ordinary

Dkmuto wrote:
It was actually a pretty good finale.

Yeah, the finale was the best episode of the season, I thought.

I'm not exactly sure why Paulie G. interviewed that he thought she was so terrific, though, given how much he's hated her all season. Guess he's, like Valerie, probably trying to shield his true self in front of the camera.

showbusiness.

Yay seems a lot of people are watching now. :D

Cept me :(

Best Actress 2008

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

Ill probably get the finale on DEMAND tommowrow, meaning I could watch it after school.

I love the show so much, and now I hope HBO is smart enough to renew it for a second season. Its one of their strongest shows out right now.

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Boo. I want more!

I laughed my ass off, though. Probably my second favorite episode behind the Palm Springs one.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

If this letter were an instant message, I'm not certain which emoticon I'd be flashing right now: "tearful" or "hoppin mad." I heard about what you did yesterday, pulling the plug on Lisa Kudrow's brilliant sitcom The Comeback because you didn't think you could ''give the show the support it needed.'' That's rich, coming from the people who gave seven seasons to Arli$$, and two to The Mind of the Married Man.

Yeah, I know the early reviews were harsh, and ratings were never terrific, but somewhere around Episode 8 ("Valerie Relaxes in Palm Springs"), a lot of critics and viewers began to take a second look at what Kudrow and co-creator Michael Patrick King were trying to do. Many of us formed an almost unnatural attachment to Kudrow's heartbreakingly deluded Valerie Cherish. We began guffawing at those laugh track-free punch lines ("Maybe I could jump on a landmine!"). And we learned to revel in the subtle, Emmy-worthy work from Kudrow, Lance Barber (Paulie G), and Damian Young (Mark).

Thanks to your boneheaded decision, though, none of us will get to see all those good things for a second season. And there's only so much comfort I can derive from visiting the official Comeback site and watching meager clips of the 13 episodes that have already aired. It's enough to make me want to put on a cupcake suit and punch you till we both blow chunks.

Dejectedly (and ragefully) yours,

Michael Slezak

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Best Actress 2008

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,1 ... tml?fdnews

Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Anybody think Lisa Kudrow has a shot at Emmy recognition next year for this?

I think she's worthy.

Still kinda sad that they didn't pick it up. I think the show just took too long to get good. Had it been up to the level in its premiere that it was in its finale, I think HBO might have renewed it regardless of ratings. They tend to keep shows with niche audiences even if ratings are rather lackluster.

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

I thought the the show was awesome from day one, but I don't think many people "got it."

I don't think the show is even elligible for an Emmy next year. I believe it has to air a certain number of new episodes during the September-May season.

But I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Golden Globe (win?). Though it is unlikely for a cancelled TV show to achieve that.

Best Actress 2008

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Poor Lisa.

She has another film coming out soon. ^^Please let her have BO success.

It looks like Joey will be canned in a matter of weeks.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:25 am
Forum General

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Poor Lisa.

She has another film coming out soon. ^^Please let her have BO success.

It looks like Joey will be canned in a matter of weeks.

It's sad, really.

On the plus side, though (and I can't stress this enough guys; the premiere impressed me that much)...

Extras pretty much takes on Hollywood the same way The Comeback did, only it's funny.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Well... I just watched the first, err.. only season of The Comeback in a couple weeks. :tongue:

I actually just finished watching the finale now and after reading what people had thought, I'd agree that it was the best episode of the series. It was like a different show.

I do have to say though that after the first couple of episodes, the show became almost excruciatingly hard to watch. I was on the verge of returning the second disc. It was funny in its own way but it was just a little too sad to watch. But it did change, after the Palm Springs episode, I got hooked and finished the rest within a day. I guess it was all sort of building up to the finale and man was it a great payoff. The best part was the last scene when she realizes she's smoking on camera and does that "Time-out" hand thing again. :lol:

I really don't think most people would get used to watching this because of the format (though I must say it was an incredibly original and unique idea) and even fewer probably had the patience to see where it went but in the end, it was indeed worth it.

As Rod originally said... it's quite dark but that's why I loved it. ;)

But above all... Lisa Kudrow is an absolute goddess when it comes to acting. I think this is probably the best performance by an actress in a comedy that I have seen period. Lisa Kudrow nails this character SO beyond perfection, it's really hard to distinguish them. I'm glad she was nominated (the least it deserved) but I can't see how any other performance could have deserved a win.

The Comeback: A-
Lisa Kudrow: A++

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:54 am
life begins now

Kudrow was brilliant in this series and should have won out of the nominees last year (MLP was somehow overlooked, although she was the best actress of last year). Kinda sucks that it wasn't picked up for a second season, as it got really good towards the end.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:19 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Post Re: 'The Comeback' Thread

weird bumping this old thread ( :tears: ) but I just saw that this is coming back and am thinking about watching the first season on Amazon.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:21 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I need to rewatch the first season before this comes back. One of the funniest shows ever.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:10 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

I am unbelievably excited for this to return. Valerie Cherish <3

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:16 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The scene where Valerie 'auditions' to play herself was hilariously uncomfortable and brilliant.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:09 pm
Profile YIM
New Server, Same X

I bought the first season of this a few years back for less than $5 at a grocery store. Crazy. I ended up watching (and loving) all except the final two episodes. Not for quality but because I couldn't bring myself to watch them, knowing it was all over. Now I'm excited to go back and rewatch the season and finally see those episodes in preparation of Season 2.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:30 pm
Sbil

FINALLY watched the season premiere. It felt like exactly the same show as nine years ago to me. So much secondhand embarrassment.

Lisa Kudrow's brilliance has not lost a single step

Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2