Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fiscal Cliff 
Extraordinary

Post Fiscal Cliff
I figured this deserves its own thread. Things are getting tense about it over this very important issue. The main sticking point is taxes and much revenue should be raised. Right now I think they will compromise when they get close to the deadline but it will be a very interesting and scary to see how this goes down to the deadline.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

Post Re: Fiscal Cliff
Someday enough people will realize that the Fed and fiat currency is the cause of essentially every single economic problem. Then these will be eliminated once again, as central banks and fiat currency ruin civilizations every single time they are every implemented.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 pm
Extraordinary

Proud Ryu wrote:
Someday enough people will realize that the Fed and fiat currency is the cause of essentially every single economic problem. Then these will be eliminated once again, as central banks and fiat currency ruin civilizations every single time they are every implemented.

how many civilization have had central Banks? I can't think of a single one until the 1800s. The idea of Banks didn't even exist before the Renaissance. In Ancient world and the Middle Ages, currency was radically different. And what civilization has fallen because they used a central bank?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:

how many civilization have had central Banks? I can't think of a single one until the 1800s. The idea of Banks didn't even exist before the 1600s. In Ancient world and the Middle Ages, currency was radically different. And what civilization has fallen because they used a central bank?

I should say it's fiat currency that always ends in ruin - you are guaranteed to approach a fuedal society, or a plutocracy. Central banks can do nothing but ruin economies over time as well, but they are more modern like you say. The first 3 in the US fail because it was clear that they were going to ruin the economy.

The Fed and its network of central banks have survived only because they work slowly enough for people not to notice the ruin of their society until something drastic happens - the fiscal cliff may not quite do it, but it may be another nail in the coffin of the Fed. QE3 was another nail and the collapse of the US dollar may be the last nail.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:26 pm
Extraordinary

I disagree with you about that. I don't see many civilizations that fell because of a central currency. The Roman Empire had a central currency and that wasn't the reason it fell. It fell because its armies got weak and they unstable leadership for over a century that led to the empire to split. Not sure how a central currency led to feudalism. Feudalism occurred because of the fall of Rome and you had chaos in the middle ages that led to weaker kingdoms and a dominant nobility. We have had a central currency in the most countries for over a century and I don't think that is the problem. The reason we are in debt in the U.S. is because of three sectors of the government: Medicare, Medicaid, and defense. We wasted billions on two wars and Medicaid and Medicare need to be reformed.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

Fiat currency really can do nothing but concentrate wealth in the hands of those who create it and set laws about its use, i.e. bankers and governments. It can also do nothing but devalue the currency into oblivion, as it has the US dollar for 100 years. With all the tech advancements we've had, the world would be a utopia today without that devaluation. I don't think that is hyperbole. Instead it is just steadily improving, despite unethical banking (that should be illegal).

Check out what happened with the Continental dollar in the US for a key example. Britain's fiat currency also was the main catalyst for the Revolutionary War.

What govt. spends money on is really secondary to how they get their money in the first place. It is loaned into existence. Then can't pay it back - and if they could they still wouldn't because it reduces the money supply and you get politically undesirable recessions. The taxpayer gets to pay an enormous amount of interest on that national debt. We work months of each year just to pay interest on the national debt to the megabankers who create the money, which in turn continually devalues the currency.

It's a nightmarish mess. Whatever problems a society has, there's always corrupt leadership and economics behind it.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Wait a minute, didn't the end of the National Bank under Andrew Jackson lead to an economic crisis?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:50 pm
Forum General

I thought the main reason why the Roman Empire collapsed because the empire was always driven by growth through conquest.

When they stopped invading other countries they started the long trend downwards.

Add in economic, social and political issues and the were ill prepared for the "barbarian: invasions.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:24 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I think going over the fiscal cliff is probably more responsible than any compromise that we will get. At least there will be both some cuts and some tax increases, increases that will be fairer than anything a compromise will result in.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Wait a minute, didn't the end of the National Bank under Andrew Jackson lead to an economic crisis?

The thing about endless money printing, as by central banks, is that all you get is inflation. The more the inflation, the bigger the depression that eventually ensues. This is what happened when Jackson ended the bank. All the fake money (fiat, not backed by intrinsic value) disappeared from the economy.

That doesn't mean that inflation was ever good to begin with though - of course it isn't, because it is the devaluation of currency. Had it not been for all that inflation, there would never have been a depression. Once the economy recovered, it was as good as it had ever been, or better. Recession is the only cure for inflation, and inflation, specifically the permanent kind we're used to, is only possible by fiat currency.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:48 am
Extraordinary

[quote="Proud Ryu"]
Check out what happened with the Continental dollar in the US for a key example. Britain's fiat currency also was the main catalyst for the Revolutionary War.
quote]

Being a historian on the Revolutionary war I have to point this is wrong. First the currency had nothing to do with the American Revolution. Britain put themselves into debt because of the Seven Years War which was costly and then needed to tax the American Colonies. The decision to tax led to revolt and the British government overreacted by sending British troops leading to the Boston Massacre, destruction of Tea, and Lexington and Concord. Still, the revolution was more complicated than that as many colonists wanted to leave for other reasons, specifically the Proclamation Line of 1763 which prevented colonists from settling in western lands. That decision angered many in Virginia like Washington and Jefferson which is why they supported the revolution.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:
quote]

Being a historian on the Revolutionary war I have to point this is wrong. First the currency had nothing to do with the American Revolution. Britain put themselves into debt because of the Seven Years War which was costly and then needed to tax the American Colonies. The decision to tax led to revolt and the British government overreacted by sending British troops leading to the Boston Massacre, destruction of Tea, and Lexington and Concord. Still, the revolution was more complicated than that as many colonists wanted to leave for other reasons, specifically the Proclamation Line of 1763 which prevented colonists from settling in western lands. That decision angered many in Virginia like Washington and Jefferson which is why they supported the revolution.

I don't doubt your history but unfortunately one must read history from many sets of books to get the full story. I'm not saying you haven't or that I have, but the financial aspect of history seems particularly well-hidden or at least little-known and that's the side I've been most interested in. You could argue that mainstream writers of history often don't understand the financial aspect, or even that the financial powers act to prevent such history from being written into the school books.

In any case, it's wrong to say that British fiat currency had nothing to do with the revolution - it had a great deal. The colonies were doing ok using their own colonial currency, and ailing Britain issued a law requiring the colonists to use only Britain's currency, rendering an enormous amount of money unusable legally. From this viewpoint, actual taxation was nothing compared to the raw inability to pay it with what should have been legitimate money.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:49 pm