Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 State of the Union Discussion 
Powered By Hate

Post Re: State of the Union Discussion
Great link, thanks.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:33 am
Powered By Hate

I am trying to figure out why the VEP/VAP gap is so large now, though. Ever since 1996 it's gotten huge.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:44 am
Forum General

"Point is, turnouts for midterms are increasing, not the opposite like the stereotype goes."

Well its a silly assumption we make that a right wing party can only come to office if the turnout falls dramatically and that is not the case.

George Bush likley benefited from the increased turnout in 2004.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

It's a generality, not an iron-clad rule. However, in an 80%+ turnout, I have no idea how close elections would go.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:56 am
Forum General

Well in such cases Senate and Presidental race favours democrats as that would mean minorities are voting in epic numbers.

IMO if the GOP want to ensure better chance they need to appeal to minorities and it is possible. The conservatives here in Canada are quite popular with Suburban middle class and upper class minorities.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

That'd require one hell of a shift. The GOP has thrived on racial resentment since Goldwater. Now they cloak it in "welfare queen" rhetoric, or stuff about lazy people on handouts, or an undue obsession with the border (never mind that illegal immigration has actually begun to wane in the last couple of years thanks to the economy). They aren't going to gain any minorities until they stop talking shit about them in code.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:06 am
Powered By Hate

I mean, you have to remember, the age-old idea of white privilege giving common whites some rank is collapsing, and that makes a lot of people mad. It's simply not something you guys have in Canada.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:29 am
Forum General

yeah but the Conservatives are getting tough on immigration and actually a lot immigrants agree. However they are doing so in humane and sensible manner unlike what is going on in your country.

However to be the problem of illegal immigration is quite small here. Mostly the focus is stooping bogus refugees and people who come on visas marry someone for a year or two and then become permanent.

As I said the perceptions of the GOP and Democrats was quite the opposite a long time ago. We always forget but the GOP was the party of Lincoln. :funny:

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Mannyisthebest wrote:
yeah but the Conservatives are getting tough on immigration and actually a lot immigrants agree. However they are doing so in humane and sensible manner unlike what is going on in your country.

Yep. The Tancredos of the country poison the well on curbing illegal immigration by making the rhetoric so venomous. And American minorities know when there's racism bubbling underneath (or over the lid).

Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:57 pm
Forum General

If the GOP want to survive they need to appeal to younger people like 25-40.

It sounds crazy but Ronald Reagan was quite popular with young people back in the 80's, I think he won the youth vote in 1984 lol. Ron Paul base is mostly is younger people.

Young people under 30 or so are not all left leaning, its that a lot of the more politically active are left leaning. When it comes to social issues most are liberally, but other things its more a mixed view.

When I was in my teens I was a liberal but I become a realist and conservative ideology was more appealing to me. In the end I am likley a centrist.

Like I support gay marriage, people should be able to smoke pot. I am against a women having an abortion for superficial reasons or after a few months into their pregnancy. I am against open prostitution and do support the death penalty for the most heinous of crimes (not to the average murderer).

GOP made a huge mistake letting all the youth vote/minority vote go to the democrats. It all comes down to them going from a right wing party to a radical right wing party.

Its funny here in Canada, well over 6 in ten support the death penalty but less then half actually want it to be reinstated. I think most people agree with the idea but think going back to the death penalty is a step back in time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_pena ... ic_opinion

When it comes to abortion most people are in favour of it but I think many find the idea of doing so in a late stage as disgusting and vile. Why this has not become law is beyond me...The fact any mother can suggest something able to kick her in the inside not be alive or a living thing is beyond me. It is rare, (like less than 2%), however it is likley the only moral issue I really passionately for.

Even the crazy dutch agree with this view
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/29653/d ... abortions/

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

I don't see it happening in the short or medium term because the social conservatives took over and have to hog the limelight. And that's no way for them to appeal to the young.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:33 am
Powered By Hate

And I just don't see the social conservatives going away as a force for a while. Mean-spirited reactionary thought is as old as time and always organized in some way.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:42 am
Forum General

yeah but things change over time, some parties realize after decades of defeat that finally they need to change their thinking lol...

Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:28 am
Profile WWW

Mannyisthebest wrote:
yeah but things change over time, some parties realize after decades of defeat that finally they need to change their thinking lol...

Except the GOP has been dominate since the 1980s, that's why I'll never understand this whole "Republican Revolution" Revolution? What from themselves?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 pm