Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 State of the Union Discussion 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: State of the Union Discussion
hehe

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:46 pm
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
honestly, I think most presidents of the past were awful at speeches. Jefferson was one of the worst speakers of his era. He hated public speaking and never did any speeches throughout his whole presidencies. Probably the best orators of the 19th century were Lincoln and the two Adams. Since we are in an age of television the president has got to be a great speaker and Obama fits in with the more recent style. Presidents like Jefferson and Washington would never be president today because they would have trouble talking on camera.

At least Jefferson had the decency to not do a State of the Union speech. I don't care who the president is, I dislike the SotU. Fucking clapping is the worst.

I am not certain of this but most of the early presidents rarely did State of the Union speeches. I can't remember when the practice became standard to say the address in front of congress.

Edit
I looked it up, every president beginning with Wilson said the speech in front of congress. It was rare for presidents before that point. They used to just send the speech to congress, although Washington and Adams both did it. Jefferson discontinued the process.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Groucho wrote:
Caius wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
honestly, I think most presidents of the past were awful at speeches. Jefferson was one of the worst speakers of his era. He hated public speaking and never did any speeches throughout his whole presidencies. Probably the best orators of the 19th century were Lincoln and the two Adams. Since we are in an age of television the president has got to be a great speaker and Obama fits in with the more recent style. Presidents like Jefferson and Washington would never be president today because they would have trouble talking on camera.

At least Jefferson had the decency to not do a State of the Union speech. I don't care who the president is, I dislike the SotU. Fucking clapping is the worst.

If only we weren't required by law to watch it!

We are required by law to fund it, from my taxes, which makes your tv analogy irrelevant. This is not like a tv show that I find patently absurd, like anything Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck is involved in, which I can flip off and in no way be harmed. Do you believe that security for an event like this was free? Also, Presidents use these as campaign speeches. Would you like to hear a President Gingrich (God forbid a thousand times!) throwing out red meat to conservatives on your dime?

BTW, I did not watch it and I read it and saw clips from it during the analysis shows.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:51 pm
Profile WWW

I'm with Cauis on this one.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Forum General

Heard Hilary is not staying with Obama quite sad.

I think she really helped Obama do well with foriegn policy.

She was the evil lady 4 years ago, but now is quite well liked especially by Obama's detractors and moderates.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:20 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

I'm trying to understand the real policy and ideological differences between Hilary and Obama.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:04 am

Tyler wrote:
I'm trying to understand the real policy and ideological differences between Hilary and Obama.

Other than Newt's tendency towards grandiosity and different histories, I can't find much difference between Romney and Gingrich either, so far as current policy positions are concerned. Style, of course, is different.

I can't imagine a President Clinton advocating many different policies than President Obama. Results might have been different, in terms of what passed, but I think their positions would have been similar.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:45 am
Profile WWW

Newt is much more vocal on the war on drugs advocating the death penality in some cases. Or is Romney that athoritarian?

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:47 am
Forum General

Newt has the idea that America is mostly a conservative nation.

As of now American is likley a centrist or centre right country.

The US is split into three groups, there are the liberals then the hardcore Social conservatives and the rest are in the centre.

Liberals want to make the US into Europe, Social Conservatives want to go back to the 1950's and centrists want America to be strong again as it has been in the past.

Quote:

I think one of Obama's biggest mistakes was spending the first two years of his presidency on health Care and ignoring the economy. The economy became his main focus only near and after the midterm elections. That likley made him lose a lot of goodwill with right wingers who liked him and moderates.

The truth is, the issue most normal people care about is the economy. In Canada, the federal Conservatives are accused of destroying the whole welfare state and insulting democracy but they are the most trusted on the economy and that is what most people care about, so they always win.
Last election here in 2011 was hilarious, the Conservatives ran a pretty bad campaign on all other issues but their message was economy, economy, economy and they won a majority.

That is what Obama needs to do... People care about other issues, but are still all focused on the economy.

Luckily the economy is not getting worse for him.

Obama is okay but his poll numbers have been really low for 3+ years now. If his next 4 years are the same, I do not think people will look back at his Presidency fondly.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:11 am
Profile WWW

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Newt is much more vocal on the war on drugs advocating the death penality in some cases. Or is Romney that athoritarian?

That would have a hard time getting past Kennedy v. Louisiana, if he did indeed say that. Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the last execution by the U.S. of Timothy McVeigh and then maybe the Rosenberg? Not counting military.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Here's a great interactive page that allows you to compare Presidential popularity polls: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington ... racker.htm

Obama is doing about the same as Reagan and Clinton did at this point in their terms, and they both won re-election handily.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Caius wrote:

That would have a hard time getting past Kennedy v. Louisiana, if he did indeed say that. Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the last execution by the U.S. of Timothy McVeigh and then maybe the Rosenberg? Not counting military.

Looks like there have been two executions already this year.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/execution-list-2012

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:40 pm
Forum General

No Clinton and Reagan were way down in the midterms and 3rd year but really become well liked and popular by election year unlike Obama.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

His approval rating is on par with George Bush Jr and he did get reelected. Romney does remind me a lot of John Kerry and not in a good way.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

true but that was a close election.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:13 am
Profile WWW

Crux wrote:
Caius wrote:

Looks like there have been two executions already this year.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/execution-list-2012

That is not what I mean. Of course places like Texas and Oklahoma and Georgia have higher amounts of executions compared to other states. However, I was talking about executions by the United States, as in the Federal government. Gingrich was speaking as being President and pushing for Congress (if he said these things) to enact Federal drug laws with capital punishment as a component. Not state laws.

I checked the link and it looks like the United States has executed 3 people since 1976, Gregg v. Georgia.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Mannyisthebest wrote:
true but that was a close election.

Well not as close as the previous election. Bush got 52% of the vote which was huge for him. The election was only close because of Ohio coming down to 1% difference. The difference is Obama can carry Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico while Kerry could only carry one of those states. I really think the Hispanic vote will be huge this election. I could see it giving Obama anywhere from 65-70% of the vote. The Republicans, especially Romney, have killed themselves with that demographic by talking about vetoing the Dream Act, which has huge support among Latinos.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

well for an incumbent it was the closest election in a long long time...

Also actually the electoral college has changed and has actually made it easier for a Republican to win in the future overall. Romney can lose all those 3 states mentioned and focus on Florida and Ohio and a state like Iowa or New Hampshire and the past GOP states like Virgina and such and win.

The odds still favour Obama but the electoral math has changed from 2004 and 2008 in favour of the GOP.

Luckily for Obama, the GOP has no great candidate.

Meaning 2016 is going to be epic. :funny:
I do not believe in the theory that the GOP can never win again. I am quite certain unless Obama becomes into Reagan or Clinton during their 2nd term, GOP will likley come back.

http://www.270towin.com/

Also the democrats should be a bit worried about Biden, the GOP have a lot of strong VP choices (many who are better then the current Presidential candidates) :funny:

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Mannyisthebest wrote:
well for an incumbent it was the closest election in a long long time...

Also actually the electoral college has changed and has actually made it easier for a Republican to win in the future overall. Romney can lose all those 3 states mentioned and focus on Florida and Ohio and a state like Iowa or New Hampshire and the past GOP states like Virgina and such and win.

The odds still favour Obama but the electoral math has changed from 2004 and 2008 in favour of the GOP.

Luckily for Obama, the GOP has no great candidate.

Meaning 2016 is going to be epic. :funny:
I do not believe in the theory that the GOP can never win again. I am quite certain unless Obama becomes into Reagan or Clinton during their 2nd term, GOP will likley come back.

http://www.270towin.com/

Also the democrats should be a bit worried about Biden, the GOP have a lot of strong VP choices (many who are better then the current Presidential candidates) :funny:

Well it will depend on the candidates for 2016. We have no clue who the democrats could nominate. Still, they better do a better job with the Hispanic vote because that vote is growing. If they continue to lose 60% of that vote they will have trouble winning presidential elections.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah in the very long term they have to win back the Hispanics and more middle class minority groups or they can never win. I do not think it will be the deciding factor for 2012 or 2016.

It is possible, that Conservatives can be popular with minorities. They Conservatives in Canada in the past decade went from being seen as racist rednecks to a party that gets a large amount of support from wealthy, established, middle class or suburban minority groups.

I think you have to realize that immigrants and minorities are not a big voting bloc but actually are like the general public.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:29 pm
Profile WWW