Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 State of the Union Discussion 
Powered By Hate

Post Re: State of the Union Discussion
Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Caius wrote:

Sometimes I think Obama is no less conservative than Nixon.

I don't see Nixon as a conservative and do not see Obama as corrupt. Nixon was more like a corrupt opportunist. Certainly he was to the right of McGovern, but on most issues he seemed mostly non-partisan, to a great extent. He could fairly be called the greatest president on the environment that we have ever had, even though I bet that he did not much care for the issue on a personal level. I don't see Watergate as a right/left issue; rather as evidence of the power hungry nature of all politicians of all stripes.

It's not a comment on Obama or Nixon's personal nature, more the nature of the rightward shift of the narrative. I should be more specific: Nixon had handlers that kept his crazier, paranoid nature in line.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:59 pm
Powered By Hate

Despite being a seriously corrupt and...odd man, though, I would argue Nixon was the most brilliant and shrewd president we had in the 20th century.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Caius wrote:

I don't see Nixon as a conservative and do not see Obama as corrupt. Nixon was more like a corrupt opportunist. Certainly he was to the right of McGovern, but on most issues he seemed mostly non-partisan, to a great extent. He could fairly be called the greatest president on the environment that we have ever had, even though I bet that he did not much care for the issue on a personal level. I don't see Watergate as a right/left issue; rather as evidence of the power hungry nature of all politicians of all stripes.

Agreed. Nixon knew to co-opt issues away from the other side and some of his actions were not conservative at all -- His health care plan was more liberal than Obama's. Ironically, it was defeated by Democrats who wanted more. Dammit, we could have had a national health care policy all these years.

Nixon's corruption was deep-rooted, but not necessarily ideological -- except for the fact that his paranoia convinced him that all the liberals were out to get him (and they were, of course). Let's not forget, it's not just Watergate that is the issue. He took bribes, paid off witnesses, ignored the law, violated election laws, and otherwise thought (literally) that the President was above the law.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Groucho wrote:
Caius wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Caius wrote:

Agreed. Nixon knew to co-opt issues away from the other side and some of his actions were not conservative at all -- His health care plan was more liberal than Obama's. Ironically, it was defeated by Democrats who wanted more. Dammit, we could have had a national health care policy all these years.

Nixon's corruption was deep-rooted, but not necessarily ideological -- except for the fact that his paranoia convinced him that all the liberals were out to get him (and they were, of course). Let's not forget, it's not just Watergate that is the issue. He took bribes, paid off witnesses, ignored the law, violated election laws, and otherwise thought (literally) that the President was above the law.

Indeed. We all have strange conversations when we are speaking in private, but Nixon seemed to be king. Also, he seemed to be very anti-semetic in his discussions--probably part of his paranoia. Especially strange when Kissinger was one of his closet advisors.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:11 am
Profile WWW