Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 occupy wall st 
Forum General

Post Re: occupy wall st
High School use to have classes where students worked with tools, cars and computers.

Now such courses do not exist at all in school.

I think those courses plus a course on learning how to use computer programs, a course on basic personal finance should be required for all.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:19 am
Profile WWW

In Education systems in Japan and England, the bulk of the education comes during the high school years while college is the laidback time. In America it seems to be the opposite, except college students here are still laidback.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:45 pm
Forum General

Protests are quite small and quiet in Canada compared to the US.

Also it appears most of the protesters are protesting in a sign of unity with the American protestors rather then really hating on the Canadian govt or business.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Canada has quite the corporate culture itself though. Plus their media is owned by an almost Berlusconi-like monopoly.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:01 am
Forum General

Canada is oligopoly in many sectors (way more then in the US).

5 banks control over 80% of the market and have all the big accounts.

Almost all the main Tv Channels and news channels are owned by 3 companies.

A govt that gets a majority govt is pretty much has the powers of a 5- year dictatorship.

Yet, Tyler we are not messed up like you guys at all.

:funny:

Quote:
Canada has quite the corporate culture itself though

It does, but ask any Canadian to list an example of of corporate extravagance and they most likley give an example from the US.

We have a lot of flaws there is no doubt about that.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

It's not as bad as the US or UK, but it's getting there. The mayor of Toronto...

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:15 pm

I like the UK better than than the US, I am trying to move over there, but that's going to end up being impossible.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Powered By Hate

The class entrenchment and corporate culture is barely better than it is here. I really don't understand US-to-UK immigration. Shittier weather, shittier food, uglier people that are almost as fat as ours, even worse/more sensationalist media, the music and movies aren't even better anymore (that ended about ten years ago), the pervasive surveillance culture...

Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:53 pm
Forum General

The Mayor of Toronto is seen as a fool by the left, but the city was spending like the US govt lol...

You cannot continue to increase spending and fix the shortfall by increasing taxes.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

The guy is a bigoted, authoritarian demagogue, is what I meant.

Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:28 pm
Forum General

And the previous Mayor was a Tax and Spend liberal who was driving the city towards massive deficits and did nothing.

Plus he ignored the suburban areas of the city.

He pretty much created the situation to allow a man like Ford to enter office.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:20 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Heh...

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... ee/246687/

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:52 pm
Forum General

yeah it makes sense, govt is to blame.

Starting with Clinton and Bush and then Obama.

I think Govt failed dramatically in causing the problem and the dealing with it.

Lets remind everyone Obama came in with a 75% approval rating, massive majorities in the two houses.
He could have pushed in real reforms but he didn't?

Why?

Because he had no experience, he was a one term senator (who served two years). He was a spineless leader.

He then wasted 1.5 years on Medicare and ignored the economy. Now things are just like they were.

How anyone on this board can say that the govt did not fail (under Bush and Obama) is beyond me.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

WAHHHHHH

WAHHHHHH

WAHHHHHH

WAHHHHHH

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:39 pm
Extraordinary

Here Are Four Charts That Explain What The Protesters Are Angry About...

Quote:
Here are the four key points:

1. Unemployment is at the highest level since the Great Depression,

2. At the same time, corporate profits are at an all-time high,

3. Wages as a percent of the economy are at an all-time low, and

4. Income and wealth inequality in the US economy is near an all-time high:
    - the top earners are capturing a higher share of the national income than they have anytime since the 1920s
    - CEO pay and corporate profits have skyrocketed in the past 20 years, "production worker" pay has risen 4%
    - after adjusting for inflation, average earnings haven't increased in 50 years

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 am
Forum General

No its more like average incomes adjusted for inflation have not increased much since the late 1970's. (well that is still bad)

The 60's and 70's saw a big increase in wages even adjusted for inflation.

Anyways the legacy of Ronald Regan still remains, I think many in Washington still believe in supply side economics.

So you see that wages adjusted for inflation have stayed flat for like 30+ years, however our consumption has increased greatly. We have bigger houses, more cars, more appliances yet we all make the same amount of money.

How was this able to happen?

Everyone started using credit for everything.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

Mannyisthebest wrote:
yeah it makes sense, govt is to blame.

Starting with Clinton and Bush and then Obama.

I think Govt failed dramatically in causing the problem and the dealing with it.

Lets remind everyone Obama came in with a 75% approval rating, massive majorities in the two houses.
He could have pushed in real reforms but he didn't?

Why?

Because he had no experience, he was a one term senator (who served two years). He was a spineless leader.

He then wasted 1.5 years on Medicare and ignored the economy. Now things are just like they were.

How anyone on this board can say that the govt did not fail (under Bush and Obama) is beyond me.

Clinton? More like Nixon. Or even LBJ with Vietnomnomnom. I don't think Obama lacks a spine as much as he is essentially a centrist figure and he treats dealing with the establishment like dealing with the Chicago machine. Which is still a mistake/bad idea, but I can see where it comes from.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:59 pm
Powered By Hate

Mannyisthebest wrote:
No its more like average incomes adjusted for inflation have not increased much since the late 1970's. (well that is still bad)

The 60's and 70's saw a big increase in wages even adjusted for inflation.

Anyways the legacy of Ronald Regan still remains, I think many in Washington still believe in supply side economics.

So you see that wages adjusted for inflation have stayed flat for like 30+ years, however our consumption has increased greatly. We have bigger houses, more cars, more appliances yet we all make the same amount of money.

How was this able to happen?

Everyone started using credit for everything.

There's also agflation and the disproportionate rise in oil prices since the early 2000s, though, which aren't really factored in often enough. Great Society-era government programs did help to a large degree since the 60s, but crime, culture, tax base erosion, deindustrialization and poor education cancelled out the positive effects of it, sociologically speaking, so people paint the programs as failures. And yes, credit being handed out like candy has also done a lot to crumble the net worth of the poor. Especially blacks.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:00 pm
Forum General

I agree on all points.

Its that Obama came in with so much political capital and spend 1.5 years on medicare.

Obama made a huge mistake on not focusing on the economy after he the stimulus bill.

I think he assumed the 700 billion stimulus would fix everything and in the end all it did was save jobs forget about creating new jobs. :funny:

Obama is in a tough spot, but I am quite certain if a Republican was in charge right now we would calling for his head right now. ;)

Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 pm
Profile WWW