Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Obama wins a Grammy 
Draughty

Post Obama wins a Grammy
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/grammys.gr ... 50560.html

Best spoken word book. No delegates for that one though. ;)

Edit: corrected.

Last edited by A. G. on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Obama wins a Grammy
Archie Gates wrote:
Hillary was also nominated for her book.

Unless you mean in a previous year, no she wasn't. Bill was nominated this year, though.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:51 pm
Draughty

Yeah you're right. These days I see Clinton and automatically think Hillary. ;)

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Archie Gates wrote:
Yeah you're right. These days I see Clinton and automatically think Hillary. ;)

But, hey, it does mean that Obama can beat both Clintons. :D

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 pm
All Star Poster

Is there anything this guy can't do?! :D

So now we've got two prominent Dems with an Oscar, Grammy, and Nobel Prize between them. Awesome. :shades:

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Beeblebrox wrote:

So now we've got two prominent Dems with an Oscar, Grammy, and Nobel Prize between them. Awesome. :shades:

Don't discount Bush; he got a Razzie.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:06 pm
Forum General

Beeblebrox wrote:

And an Emmy.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:06 pm
Veteran

Beeblebrox wrote:

Let's see Gore has won an Oscar, Emmy and a Nobel Prize.

Barack Obama has won a Grammy.

Hillary Clinton has won a Grammy.

Bill Clinton has won 2 Grammies.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:08 am
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

I thought it has been well established that Gore didn't actually win an Oscar, and that it's a common mistake to say he has? Or is this an Oscar for something else (and not An Inconvenient Truth) that he actually won?

Peace,
Mike

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:12 am
Forum General

Everyone is still under the impression that Gore won an Oscar for Inconvenient Truth.

He did NOT win an Oscar. He was not a producer. He has never won an Oscar. Kinda sucks but it was his decision not to be a producer on the film.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:21 am
Veteran

Yes, techinically he has not won an Oscar, but the film was about him and it was a product of his work. People compare it to Errol Morris winning for the Robert MacNamara documentary "Fog of War", but it is not an apt comparison. I don't think any of the others (Clintons and Obama) have "won" or been associated with an Oscar, unless there is something I have missed. I should have been more precise.

However, the Media write and talk about an actor, screenwriter, or director in a film that won Best Picture winning an Oscar, as you "won the Oscar", or "your film won the Oscar" all the time, even when the artist didn't win in an individual category. I see this distinction as just another attempt to discredit Al Gore.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:02 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Beeblebrox wrote:

With no experience in how to run the country with only 2 fucking years in the Senate and no experience in foreign policy and certainly no experience in how to handle being attacked if were ever attacked again, but I suppose this means nothing to the Obama pimpers here as long as he wins a Grammy.. Good Lord.. :disgust:

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:26 am
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

mdana wrote:
Yes, techinically he has not won an Oscar, but the film was about him and it was a product of his work. People compare it to Errol Morris winning for the Robert MacNamara documentary "Fog of War", but it is not an apt comparison. I don't think any of the others (Clintons and Obama) have "won" or been associated with an Oscar, unless there is something I have missed. I should have been more precise.

However, the Media write and talk about an actor, screenwriter, or director in a film that won Best Picture winning an Oscar, as you "won the Oscar", or "your film won the Oscar" all the time, even when the artist didn't win in an individual category. I see this distinction as just another attempt to discredit Al Gore.

I'm sorry, but there is very clear distinction. An actor, writer and director (unless that director is also a credited producer under the film, which they often are) are NEVER told that they have "won the Oscar" if the film they were a part of wins the Oscar. Because they did NOT win the Oscar, period. They are always written and talked about in a "your film won the Oscar" manner.

And this is coming from someone who LOVES Al Gore. I'm just saying, as an awards follower, there is a clear distinction to be made. So please don't blindly label me as trying to discredit Gore.

Gore's accomplishment is still huge in my eyes, because I agree, being associated with an Oscar winning documentary as important as An Inconvenient Truth is wonderful and only positive to his image. But it doesn't stop the fact that he did not win an Oscar and did not take one home that night. So, it is very false to say he won an Oscar.

Peace,
Mike

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:39 pm
All Star Poster

Point taken, Mike. I was actually under the impression that Gore was a producer on AIC. I stand corrected.

So he'll just have to settle for the Nobel Prize. ;)

Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]