Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 PRESIDENT OBAMA 
Forum General

Post Re: PRESIDENT OBAMA
Rod wrote:
No Country for Sam wrote:
here's your "president"

Senator Barack Obama, Governor Bill Richardson, Senator Hillary Clinton and Ruth Harkin stand during the national anthem.
Barack Hussein Obama's photo (that's his real name)......the article said he REFUSED TO NOT ONLY PUT HIS HAND ON
HIS HEART DURING THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, BUT REFUSED TO SAY THE PLEDGE.....
how in the hell can a man like this expect to be our next Commander-in-Chief????

Oh Sam :disgust:

I am seriously getting tired of this crap. It's kinda childish. As someone who likes both Obama and Clinton I am more disgusted by some of the supporters than anything either candidate has done so far. This seems to be particularly bad on this site. For what it's worth I think Obama supporters tend to be particularly bad but, ultimately it doesn't matter who's worse.

This is a historic moment in politics. It's exciting and for the first time I actually looked forward to getting in on the discussions here (I normally avoid debates/politics on KJ precisely because I know how it usually ends...). That's not really the case the past few weeks. I come on here and the only thing on my mind is how pathetic these "discussions" have turned out. Eh.

:disgust: indeed.

I think a majority of us do keep it pretty civil and rational, Rod. I would've considered Sam among that crowd until that post of his.

Unless it was a joke of some sort.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

BKB of Solace wrote:
mdana wrote:
here's your "president"

Senator Barack Obama, Governor Bill Richardson, Senator Hillary Clinton and Ruth Harkin stand during the national anthem.
Barack Hussein Obama's photo (that's his real name)......the article said he REFUSED TO NOT ONLY PUT HIS HAND ON
how in the hell can a man like this expect to be our next Commander-in-Chief????

This is actually one of the things I like about Obama. Probably won't help him in the GE, though.

The guy's a freaking ROOKIE, Untried and unproven.. The only reason the young generation is voting for this guy is because it's the so called "Cool Hip thing to do" much like comparing him to the cool Apple IPHone to Hillary Clinton's AOL.. Too bad the media is afraid to point out this guy's flaws but goddamn if they have there critical heads up Clinton's asshole.. I'm sorry but I am turned off by this whole thing at the moment.. When Snoop Dog has a video out for Obama as well as Stevie Wonder, I'm inclined to be "Undecided" in the General Election..

So young people are the uneducated, misinformed ones casting votes for Obama because of the "hip" factor...

And you're the educated, rational one, spouting misinformation about Oprah donating to Obama's campaign, and stealing "iPhone" talking points from the same media you're deriding for being unfair to Clinton.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

I wasn't going to dignify that pathetic smear on Obama, but I'm glad to see others have seen through it for what it is. It's one thing to criticize a candidate for legitimate policy issues, or even character issues when warranted, but some of this stuff is just getting sad.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Yikes, if rod is upset, then I def crossed the line somewhere. But I thought it was kinda funny. That's why I posted it. It was emailed to me by my cousin. I don't have the full story nor a link.

I do get tired of the Hillary bashing here, so I thought a shot at Obama was fair game. Seriosuly, does the context of this picture matter though? I do lose respect for Obama if he publicly rebelled to put his hand over his heart. Frankly, it's rude. It's like going to a Catholic mass and refusing to kneel when the rest of the congregation does because one is not a Catholic. You do it out of respect. The presidential candidate should not be let off the hook.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:27 pm
Extraordinary

Yikes, if rod is upset, then I def crossed the line somewhere. But I thought it was kinda funny. That's why I posted it. It was emailed to me by my cousin. I don't have the full story nor a link.

I do get tired of the Hillary bashing here, so I thought a shot at Obama was fair game. Seriosuly, does the context of this picture matter though? I do lose respect for Obama if he publicly rebelled to put his hand over his heart. Frankly, it's rude. It's like going to a Catholic mass and refusing to kneel when the rest of the congregation does because one is not a Catholic. You do it out of respect. The presidential candidate should not be let off the hook.

If it's true. But we've provided links and arguments that it isn't.

Don't fall for these kinds of dirty tricks please or pass them along.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

I understand what you mean about the Hillary bashing. No offense, for the part I contributed.

As for the picture, the crucial distinction is that it was taken during the Anthem and not the Pledge. Many patriotic Americans sing the Anthem without raising their hands.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:33 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

For the record, yeah I agree that no hand over the heart during singing of national anthem is not a big deal. But he should have noticed that the other candidates were doing it and prob should have followed suit. oy vey.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:35 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Actually, Groucho....the link kypade posted proves there's nothing factually inaccurate with Sam's post.

I think it's a cheap shot to use that to question someone's ability to lead that nation and that's what my problem with it is, even if I have seen plenty of equally cheap shots towards Hillary around here...

Best Actress 2008

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

Rod wrote:
Actually, Groucho....the link kypade posted proves there's nothing factually inaccurate with Sam's post.

Except the caps lock part about not saying or putting his hand over his heart during the pledge. This happened during the Anthem. There's a huge difference. You'll also notice he's the only one that looks to be singing along at some point and that, being at the head of the line, he doesn't ever turn around to look at Hilary or whoever. There's simply nothing weird about standing respectfully during the singing of the national anthem without this arbitrary hand placement.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:58 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

here's your "president"

who the fuck cares if a person puts his hand on his chest or not. I dont like this xenophobic and patriotic behavior at all

Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:59 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

well prior to switching over to "pledge" it clearly states that they are all standing during the national anthem, so i give it the benefit of the doubt ;)

Other than that I agree with everything you said. Of course this is a perfect opportunity to ask people on both sides to maybe try not to fall into this silly attacks over non-issues? As I said this has been done to Hillary again and again. Take Florida. She was highly criticized for using the victory there in her favor. People pretended Obama would have never done the same. That it didn't matter to him. But, among other things, he was the only candidate to run ads in the state. So, hmm...

Ultimately what happens on KJ will not make a difference in the election but I'd still remind people that this kind of sillyness can't do the candidates any good. People forget that there are people out there who are still undecided. Or like both. I don't hold this particular thing against Hillary. I don't hold some of the attacks against Hillary against Obama. But not everyone might feel the same way. You shouldn't have to remind yourself that what lunatic supporters and the candidates themselves do are separate. Something to keep in mind...

Best Actress 2008

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

lol um, sorry, box, that I believe in respect for one's country. Despite this country's many flaws, I salute the flag when required.

Fuckin' A!

Bush for four more years! Now there's a guy who salutes the flag!

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:09 pm
Commander and Chef

fair game when people actually talk about an issue. Whether you agree or not, debating over a person's policies on war, education, immigration are all important. saluting your flag and insisting and forcing others you should show love for your country the way you'd desire it .... NOT!

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Angela Merkel wrote:
As for the picture, the crucial distinction is that it was taken during the Anthem and not the Pledge. Many patriotic Americans sing the Anthem without raising their hands.

And that's IF we can judge anything by a single snap-shot. Which we can't. And only Richardson has his mouth open. Does that mean that Hillary and Obama both REFUSE and publically OBJECT to saying the pledge or singing the anthem. Of course not. They are all looking in completely different directions, which probably means that whatever they're doing hasn't even started yet.

This whole thing is just stupid. It's a low-life smear based on nothing.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

At Mass non-Catholics do not kneel. They usually sit calmly in the pews and nobody there expects them to kneel. Likewise, they do not partake in the Eucharist.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I actually hope he becomes president. That way, over the next 4 years, I get to laugh at all of you assholes complaining about him.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:59 pm
Extraordinary

Rod wrote:

Ah, I missed that link before. Still, can't blame me for questioning something without a source.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

For the record, yeah I agree that no hand over the heart during singing of national anthem is not a big deal. But he should have noticed that the other candidates were doing it and prob should have followed suit. oy vey.

Note that they were all facing toward the singer (apparently) and that he is farthest to the left, unable to see the others.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Rod wrote:
People pretended Obama would have never done the same. That it didn't matter to him. But, among other things, he was the only candidate to run ads in the state. So, hmm...

He ran ads on national TV, which meant that people in Florida may have seen them too. Not the same thing, really. He didn't run any ads in Florida at all.

Last edited by Groucho on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Box wrote:
WTF?

You're joking right? You don't actually think this one picture would make me think that Obama would be less of a president, right?

IF ANYTHING, this makes me like him even MORE. I'd love to see politicians who acknowledge patriotism to be the domain of cowards, thieves, and liars.

Box wrote:
Patriotism has nothing to do with respect for one's country, and these highly contrived patriotic gestures have even less to do with it.

roid wrote:
who the fuck cares if a person puts his hand on his chest or not. I dont like this xenophobic and patriotic behavior at all

DING DING DING

We have (two) winners!

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:38 pm
Forum General

Munk·E wrote:
I actually hope he becomes president. That way, over the next 4 years, I get to laugh at all of you assholes complaining about him.

I thought you said at some point that you were going to start contributing substantively to threads. What happened?

Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I'm throwing a huge party on Bush's last day of office. Everyone is invited :mer:

Although...the party will probably be a very, very non-enjoyable one if it's, you know, McCain taking his place.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Libs wrote:
I'm throwing a huge party on Bush's last day of office. Everyone is invited :mer:

Although...the party will probably be a very, very non-enjoyable one if it's, you know, McCain taking his place.

Go attend the Inauguration! :)

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:11 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

For Samnasty :whistle:

As usual Clinton tries to change her opinion around often to appease mass principles

Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:57 am
Extraordinary

Groucho wrote:

If it's true. But we've provided links and arguments that it isn't.

Don't fall for these kinds of dirty tricks please or pass them along.

Umm, even if it was true I wouldn't have a problem with it. I've been to Catholic Mass and not kneeled. I still didn't mind - and respected the right to - of people who did. People don't need to mime rituals that don't resonate with them, even if they respect a space, or what the space stands for. Belief and ritual are very different things. One can believe in what this country stands for and it has nothing to do with the physical act of placing a hand over the heart. One can believe in the Catholic God (though I personally don't) and never physically kneel at the pew.

Yes, dirty tricks, and both of the democratic candidates are way above that. Media is ridiculous nowadays. Go Dems!

Libs wrote:
I'm throwing a huge party on Bush's last day of office. Everyone is invited :mer:...

Go Dems!

Last edited by dolcevita on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next