Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Superdelegates will likely decide the Dem nominee 
All Star Poster

Post The Superdelegates will likely decide the Dem nominee
So according to the math, it's looking more and more likely that the Superdelegates will decide the Dem nominee. Even if they pick Obama, that's still kind of depressing. I mean, it's great that Dems have two candidates that they feel strongly about, having that decision in the hands of an elite few just doesn't seem right.

And since the Superdelegates are not anonymous, it could lead to infighting and favoritism - which is exactly what the Dems don't need if they win the presidency. In fact, the whole point of the Superdelegates was to subvert the will of the voters just in case they picked someone that the establishment Dems didn't like. In many ways, the criticisms of the electoral college applies here as well.

Fortunately, this is the first time that the Superdelegates have played such an important role. They make 20% of the convention delegates. I think the simple fix is to reduce their influence but not necessarily get rid of them entirely.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Superdelegates will likely decide the Dem nominee
Hopefully they will be smart enough to realize that they need to vote basically the same as the rest of the delegates. If Obama wins more delegates but loses the nomination because of superdelegates, it's going to cause all sorts of problems, as I stated in another thread...

The good news is that Dean is very aware of all of this and will do everything he can to prevent that from happening by sitting the two candidates down and trying to get some sort of consensus.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's basically impossible for either to clinch without the superdelegates; each would need to grab 70% of the remaining pledged delegates, and it's simply not realistic at this point. However, if one candidate could stretch the lead to say 300 delegates before the superdelegates are counted, I think it'll be a significant enough margin that both sides could sit down and negotiate, a brokered convention could be avoided. And right now Obama looks best equipped of getting a such lead.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

the schedule heavily favors Obama to have the votes, states, lead and momemtum.

if hes the one winning everything theres no way dean gives the nomination to clinton.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:06 am
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Re-sign Randy! wrote:

if hes the one winning everything theres no way dean gives the nomination to clinton.

Clinton must pull an upset in Washington state. It's always possible amid the confusion of publicizing an unexpected election. If not that, then at least Maine, though that might not be enough, given Obama's deadlock on VA-MD-DC for Tuesday. Contrary to the poll, I doubt Wisconsin is actually Clinton territory, given how hard the Midwest is breaking for Obama. The last Minnesota poll showed Clinton in the lead, and she was beaten 67-32.

If Obama sweeps all the February primaries, Clinton risks pulling a Giuliani by March 4th.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:26 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Angela Merkel wrote:
Re-sign Randy! wrote:

Clinton must pull an upset in Washington state. It's always possible amid the confusion of publicizing an unexpected election. If not that, then at least Maine, though that might not be enough, given Obama's deadlock on VA-MD-DC for Tuesday. Contrary to the poll, I doubt Wisconsin is actually Clinton territory, given how hard the Midwest is breaking for Obama. The last Minnesota poll showed Clinton in the lead, and she was beaten 67-32.

If Obama sweeps all the February primaries, Clinton risks pulling a Giuliani by March 4th.

Since the GOP race is all but over, I considered crossing party lines and voting for Hillary. However, I think that is somewhat dishonorable, and refrained. Obama should easily win Washington and by a fairly large margin, like 7% (straight up vote).

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:16 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

KidRock69x wrote:
However, I think that is somewhat dishonorable, and refrained.

Yes, but what stopped you?

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:43 am
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Beeblebrox wrote:
KidRock69x wrote:
However, I think that is somewhat dishonorable, and refrained.

Yes, but what stopped you?

Republicans voting for Hillary is too much like Democrats voting for Romney. It's unsportsmanlike to support an easier-to-beat opponent. :funny:

Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]