Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Romney dropping out 
All Star Poster

Post Re: Romney dropping out
Corpse wrote:
Dkmuto wrote:
Anyone know if anybody's actually dug up how much he spent?

That'd be interesting. And I'd be willing to bet he has spent more tham all the REP candidates combined.

I think he spent more per delegate if nothing else.

Last edited by Beeblebrox on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Beeblebrox wrote:
Groucho wrote:
Hopefully, a huge loss will encourage the Republicans to kick out all the far right fundamentalists and neo-cons and go back to the moderate conservatism they used to stand for.

This is one of the reasons why I lean toward McCain in a McCain vs Hillary contest. We get a Republican president who, while conservative, is not above working with Dems to get things done. And we get to see the movement conservatives and the evangelical right marginalized.

Yeah, I'll admit that if McCain won (especially if he won against Obama), I would be sad and depressed, certainly, but not crushed. Hardcore Dems can paint him any way they please, but McCain would not be Bush 2.0.

My biggest fear with a McCain presidency, though, and what I feel is most on the line are the Supreme Court nominations. Is there really any possibility that he wouldn't be appointing more strict constructionists?

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Oh yes! No one has mentioned this, and I'm not 100% sure how it works, but Romney didn't drop out..drop out. He suspended his campaign, that's the term, so his delegates are still in play somehow. Each state that he has won delegates in will decide what to do with them.

So maybe Huckabee can get most of them if they are given out. :D

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

I keep hearing that he spent more than 35 million of his own money. No idea how much otherwise.

edit - maybe that was 35m last year alone.

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:21 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

kypade wrote:
I keep hearing that he spent more than 35 million of his own money. No idea how much otherwise.

edit - maybe that was 35m last year alone.

That doesn't seem like alot... I mean, Giuliani spent somewhere around 35-40, and he didn't even campaign in the early states, and dropped out right after FL.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
Oh yes! No one has mentioned this, and I'm not 100% sure how it works, but Romney didn't drop out..drop out. He suspended his campaign, that's the term, so his delegates are still in play somehow. Each state that he has won delegates in will decide what to do with them.

I was listening to Laura Ingraham today and she was tossing about the idea (last hope) that maybe Romney and Huck could somehow get together and join forces to bring down McCain. At first I thought it impossible but now that Huck and McCain are going to be duking it out the rest of the way they'll probably not be so damn chummy with each other and put visions of the Presidency instead of VP into Huck's head and create a Huck/Romney ticket. Idk. I think it's extremely low probability and I'll leave it at that.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:41 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

nghtvsn wrote:
Corpse wrote:

I was listening to Laura Ingraham today and she was tossing about the idea (last hope) that maybe Romney and Huck could somehow get together and join forces to bring down McCain. At first I thought it impossible but now that Huck and McCain are going to be duking it out the rest of the way they'll probably not be so damn chummy with each other and put visions of the Presidency instead of VP into Huck's head and create a Huck/Romney ticket. Idk. I think it's extremely low probability and I'll leave it at that.

It's the only way for any REP who doesn't like McCain to take McCain out. So I could see it gaining traction. If Romney were to endorse Huckabee, then I'd assume Romney's delegates in the states that he has won, would mostly go to Huckabee if that's how the whole suspending one's campaign works, I don't know. It's probably not going to work if it gains traction, but there is at least a slim chance, a chance I'll be hoping becomes more than just chance. :D

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

Corpse wrote:
That doesn't seem like alot... I mean, Giuliani spent somewhere around 35-40, and he didn't even campaign in the early states, and dropped out right after FL.

Maybe not. That's just the number I've heard a lot.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... h-quarter/

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:53 pm
All Star Poster

Corpse wrote:
[color=#008040][b]That doesn't seem like alot...

$35 million of his own money. That does not include money from donors.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Romney looks sleazy or is it his hair.

Obama would dominate and heck even Hilary would win.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Alaskans are pissed. :funny:

Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2