Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 What Kind of Racist Attacks Will Repbs Launch Against Obama 
Extraordinary

Post What Kind of Racist Attacks Will Repbs Launch Against Obama
Assume he's the candidate, which looks more likely now than ever.

There's no question that it will become filthy very soon, and OF COURSE race will come into play like hell.

So...what kind of strategies do you think the Republicans will employ against him?

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:25 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Post Re: What Kind of Racist Attacks Will Repbs Launch Against Obama
Box wrote:

There's no question that it will become filthy very soon, and OF COURSE race will come into play like hell.

So...what kind of strategies do you think the Republicans will employ against him?

I dispute your first premise, but assuming it is true, I doubt it happens. Assuming McCain is the nominee, I don't see him benefiting from attacking Obama on race. That will simply cauterize support around Obama.

Since there has been no evidence of racism amongst the Republican candidates, why do you argue, in bad faith, that there will be?

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:29 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

KidRock69x wrote:
Box wrote:

I dispute your first premise, but assuming it is true, I doubt it happens. Assuming McCain is the nominee, I don't see him benefiting from attacking Obama on race. That will simply cauterize support around Obama.

Since there has been no evidence of racism amongst the Republican candidates, why do you argue, in bad faith, that there will be?

I think he meant more Republican voters.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:03 am
All Star Poster

KidRock69x wrote:

The candidates have been too busy going after each other to go after Obama or Clinton in any real force. But historically, when they can exploit race, they do, especially in the South; like in South Carolina in 2000 when Rove/Bush accused McCain of fathering a black baby out of wedlock.

If Obama gets the nom, I suspect that most of the attacks on him will be less racially overt and center more around the prevailing right-wing belief that he is a closeted Muslim and terrorist sympathizer. Expect to hear his full name "Barack Hussein Obama" a LOT. Expect them to connect him to Lewis Farrakhan as well as attacks on Obama's "racist" church.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:29 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Box wrote:

They don't have to be that overt.

Quote:

The Politics Of Obama's Past Cocaine Use
by: Douglas Burns
Thursday (12/06) at 15:57 PM

When Barack Obama speaks frankly about his youthful drug use in a generic sense on the campaign trail here, voters often respond positively to the Illinois Democrat's straightforward handling of the personal failing. In fact, many see it as revealing a canyon-sized difference between Obama's Generation X candor and the equivocation of Baby Boomers like the Clintons on such matters.
That said, when polls are examined more closely, and the question is posed to voters not on drugs generally but specifically on cocaine (which Obama admitted to using in his best-selling memior,"Dreams From My Father," by noting that he did "maybe a little blow when you could afford it.") the results show some potential vulnerabilities for the senator.

His Democratic opponents haven't seized this issue a in high-profile way. But Republican presidential Mitt Romney has challenged Obama on the drug angle, perhaps presaging a general-election strategy, while two western Iowa conservative Republicans see the issue as having no traction and being fraught with tripwires for their party if mishandled.

"I think it's important for us not to go into details about the weaknesses and our own failings as young people for the concern that we open kids thinking that it's OK for them," Romney said.
What will be facinating to watch is whether Americans' views on cocaine will play out in the election booths as a defining factor or anything close to that. If it does, that could spell trouble for Obama.

A survey of 1,010 adults conducted by Scripps Howard News Service and Ohio University finds many Americans voice concerns about candidates who've used cocaine.

Adults in the survey were equally troubled over prospects of a president who tried cocaine in his youth, something Sen. Barack Obama has admitted. Only 34 percent said they think most Americans would accept this while 58 percent said it would not be acceptable.

In a New York Times poll in June, 74 percent of respondents said they did not think most people they know would vote for a presidential candidate who has ever used cocaine.

"In the few polls that explicitly ask about cocaine use in a presidential candidate (as opposed to the softer more generic 'Drug Use,')" says one Washington, D.C. insider, "Seventy-four percent say cocaine use makes a person unfit to be president. It's the highest negative apart from 'no government experience.' Put differently, never in the history of the presidency has a front runner openly admitted to using cocaine. So now that Obama is talking about the drug use more often, I am absolutely certain it's because he and his team know that the cocaine issue is going to roar forward. It will be a major issue if he is the nominee.The GOP will ride it hard and he is trying to inoculate."

On the ground here in western Iowa, the co-chairman of the Carroll County Republican Party, John Werden, a county attorney who has handled many cocaine-related cases, says Obama's admission should not be disqualifying. What's more, Werden has a different take on the Obama drug question than Romney, the candidate the long-time western Iowa prosecutor is supporting in the Iowa caucuses.

"As a father and a prosecutor I'm not willing to write off anyone for good public service because of bad things they've done in the past," Werden said.

This doesn't mean Werden doesn't find Obama's drug admissions troubling in one respect. In working with people addicted to drugs, Werden said, there are always concerns that they will grasp on to comments from successful, high-profile people about use and abuse to justify their own actions.

"In an indirect way, it absolves them and in some circles encourages drug usage," Werden said.

All you need is a third party like Swift Boat Vets for the Truth. McCain and the Republicans can deny any involvement. There is a media double standard at work when Clinton is the opponent. Any critique of the messiah is playing the race card. When St. John is the competitor, Obama will not be treated with kid gloves.

You can even play it off as not wanting to repeat the mistakes of Bush (alcohol abuse, drug rumors) and be seen as an "independent" voice.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:36 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

They can harp on about the "Hussein Obama" angle and the cocaine angle and that could be enough - to make voters think twice just before they place their ballot. If done subtly it could be very effective. An all out attack would backfire.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:07 pm
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

No mud the Clinton's couldn't throw.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:33 am
Extraordinary

Well, apparently according to BKB, if black people endorse you and support you, then therefore you are unfit for office.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:55 pm
Profile WWW

Groucho wrote:
Well, apparently according to BKB, if black people endorse you and support you, then therefore you are unfit for office.

That's according to more than just him. Good thing it's not the sixties any more.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:05 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Angela Merkel wrote:
Groucho wrote:

That's according to more than just him. Good thing it's not the sixties any more.

Yeah, like Clinton supporters!

Hmm... Isn't that like HALF of the democrats?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:08 pm

Munk·E wrote:
Angela Merkel wrote:
Groucho wrote:

I didn't say anything about Clinton supporters, and most of them certainly aren't racist, any more than Obama supporters are sexist.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:15 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Angela Merkel wrote:
Munk·E wrote:
Angela Merkel wrote:
Groucho wrote:

I didn't say anything about Clinton supporters, and most of them certainly aren't racist, any more than Obama supporters are sexist.

So... would you rather have a sexist in office... or a racist?

Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:32 pm
Extraordinary

The goals of those who want to eliminate racism and sexism is for people to be judged on their own merits and not based on their race or sex.

Hey, Munk, are you a Republican, the party who has not had a woman or black candidate for President yet? Just checking.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Groucho wrote:
The goals of those who want to eliminate racism and sexism is for people to be judged on their own merits and not based on their race or sex.

Hey, Munk, are you a Republican, the party who has not had a woman or black candidate for President yet? Just checking.

Oh wow! 2 candidates in one year that are either black/a woman must mean that you guys LOVE being different!

Too bad the REPUBLICANS had the FIRST woman who ran for office of President.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Chase_Smith

Eat it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:55 pm

Munk·E wrote:
Oh wow! 2 candidates in one year that are either black/a woman must mean that you guys LOVE being different!

Eat it.

Tastes good.

Pwnt.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:00 pm
Extraordinary

Munk·E wrote:
Groucho wrote:

Eat it.

Someone "placed her name in nomination" at a convention. Not the same thing. Sheesh.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:14 pm
Profile WWW

Groucho wrote:

Do you want a cookie for that?

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:17 pm
Profile WWW

KidRock69x wrote:
Groucho wrote:

He prefers macadamia nut.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:19 pm

Angela Merkel wrote:
KidRock69x wrote:
Groucho wrote:

He prefers macadamia nut.

I think he would obviously prefer an Oreo.

Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]