Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Repub nominee watch - Hail to the Mitt 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Repub nominee watch - Super Tuesday
But he will lose Texas and Pennsylvanian so it evens out to some degree. The problem for Romney is if he loses Ohio this is going to June and he also might have trouble getting enough delegates. We could be looking at a brokered convention where Romney and Santorum will have to kiss Gingrich and Paul's asses for their delegates.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Actually Romney could win Penn. Remember Santorum lost it by 18.

Texas isn't even majority white anymore. I think he has a chance there too.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 pm
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Keep in mind it's proportional, so Romney's huge win in Mass could make up for smaller combined losses in Ohio, Tenn, and OK.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 pm
Profile ICQ
KJ's Leading Pundit

lolgop

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:56 pm
Extraordinary

DP07 wrote:

Texas republicans vote very similar to Oklahoma and it is a closed primary. I think Santorum can win Penn but it will be close.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

DP07 wrote:
Keep in mind it's proportional, so Romney's huge win in Mass could make up for smaller combined losses in Ohio, Tenn, and OK.

Mass has less delegates and Santorum could win big in North Dakota or Idaho which will make up. It also about perception, losing Ohio even closely looks bad for him.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Romney opens with a massive lead in Idaho and pulls closer in Ohio.

Looks like he will win the delegate count today.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:38 pm
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
DP07 wrote:

Texas republicans vote very similar to Oklahoma and it is a closed primary. I think Santorum can win Penn but it will be close.

Texas is also much more urban. There are over 10 million people between the Dallas, Houston, SA, and Austin areas.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:42 pm
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

I didn't realize how many Mormons were in Idaho. I guess it makes sense. Ohio is very close. They said on MSNBC that they might have to hold a recount because it will be so close. So, it could be a while before we know who even wins. Santorum though should have a good next few weeks. Kansas, Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi, and Hawaii are next. And Santorum should win all of them except Hawaii (who knows who will win there maybe Paul??). Then Illinois and Wisconsin will close out the month. They should both be close contests. This race will go on til at least June.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

lol, why do you think it's mormons? Besides he is winning by 60%. Santorum only really has the midwest.

Romney will probably win Ohio now. If he takes Alaska I think it's over all but officially.

I would give Alabama and Mississippi to Gingrich. Romney will probably win Hawaii. Didn't Santorum already take Missouri? He will win Kansas. But after that he has Nebraska, SD, Indiana, and maybe Montana, Wisconsin, Penn, West Virginia and Kentucky. Outside chance in Texas.

Romney will take nearly the entire west and northeast plus a few others. I think he probably has Illinois. Chicago won't even be close.

Look at how Gingrich has faded and Santorum is showing the same sort of trend. Romney is the only one with endurance; the rest have all depended on momentum and spurts of publicity.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:46 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Romney should have Ohio. Up by 0.7% with 5% to go.

He leads the delegate count by 72 today. I think his chances of not getting the nomination are less than 1 in 500. 10-15 states, many small, will not get Santorum the nomination.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:58 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Romney wins Alaska. He's won 14 of 23 states. He leads the delegate count from last night by 123. Needs 740 more for the nom. Even pessimistically, he will get 281 from California, DC, NJ, and Utah. 370 from the rest would be low. That's 90 away and far ahead of anyone else. He'll probably also win Maryland, PR, and Delaware for 77 more. I actually think Wisconsin will also favor him as the date nears. There are other delegates and I'm not sure how they are awarded, but Romney's bound to get some of them. Yeah, I think it's over.

I think the media overreacts to perception. Gingrich was 'out' when he still led national polls, but lost Iowa. Romney was 'inevitable' after a couple wins. Now there's no clear story of victory, so it's still a 'race'.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 pm
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

DP07 wrote:
lol, why do you think it's mormons? Besides he is winning by 60%. Santorum only really has the midwest.

Romney will probably win Ohio now. If he takes Alaska I think it's over all but officially.

I would give Alabama and Mississippi to Gingrich. Romney will probably win Hawaii. Didn't Santorum already take Missouri? He will win Kansas. But after that he has Nebraska, SD, Indiana, and maybe Montana, Wisconsin, Penn, West Virginia and Kentucky. Outside chance in Texas.

Romney will take nearly the entire west and northeast plus a few others. I think he probably has Illinois. Chicago won't even be close.

Look at how Gingrich has faded and Santorum is showing the same sort of trend. Romney is the only one with endurance; the rest have all depended on momentum and spurts of publicity.

They said it on CNN I think the state has a 30% Mormon population maybe more. It really helped him there. This is over yet until Santorum gives up which won't happen until the end of the April at the earliest. I give Santorum the edge in Alabama and Mississippi. Realize, Gingrich only won Georgia because it is his home state. I think he will do poorly in those two and drop out. About Missouri, the first vote didn't count, it is a crazy primary process there but Santourm should win the official delegates and win Kansas as well.
I still think this makes Romney looks weak. He reminds me a lot of Kerry and Bob Dole minus the war record. Santorum could pull a Pat Buchanan ala 1996 and say awful crazy things at the convention that will hurt Romney.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Santorum needs Gingrich to drop out to have a shot since he can then clean up the south. If all four stay in the race as they're now, Romney will continue to win around 40% of popular votes and cruise to a nomination.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

Gingrich won Georgia by quite a bit. Atlanta is less favorable to him than the more rural AL and MS.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:52 pm
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

DP07 wrote:

That was in a election that included Democrats. (I know; I am proud to say I was one of the ones voting against him!) In a primary, with only Republicans voting, they could very well support the local boy.

He has no chance of winning Pennsylvania in November, though.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah the thing was if Santaroum was a moderate like Romney, he would have carried the state in a election.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The thing is that Romney is someone who would appeal most to the people in the middle who control the election. He's the GOP's best chance to defeat Obama. When he was governor, he knew how to compromise and work with the opposition, and he led a scandal-free administration.

The GOP keeps shooting itself in the foot by refusing to endorse him and by making him lean so far to the right that even when he does get the nomination, he will have alienated so many in the middle he'll have a terrible time winning.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Groucho wrote:
The thing is that Romney is someone who would appeal most to the people in the middle who control the election. He's the GOP's best chance to defeat Obama. When he was governor, he knew how to compromise and work with the opposition, and he led a scandal-free administration.

The GOP keeps shooting itself in the foot by refusing to endorse him and by making him lean so far to the right that even when he does get the nomination, he will have alienated so many in the middle he'll have a terrible time winning.

He's been endorsed by so many high profile individuals it's not even funny. The problem is he has these opponents like Gingrich who won't get out the way or even Santorum who wins states with no organization. It's just a bunch of dumb (yes dumb, I said it) voters such as those in my own state of OK who flock to him for whatever reason. Yes, Romney is the Pubs best chance and he will be the nominee but one of those people may have to be VP or something.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:09 pm

nghtvsn wrote:

my own state of OK

I thought you were British for whatever reason.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:21 pm
Homo Dperious

Romney has a 6 point lead in Cal (what the hell, how does he only have 28?). In AL Santorum is up by 4 in one poll, but Romney's up by 9 in another. Romney up by 15 in NY.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:17 pm
Profile ICQ

Unfortunately, most of Paul's supporters here in Kansas cannot vote for Paul as our state requires you to be a registered Republican to vote, and most Paul supporters are not registered with the GOP, but rather with the Libertarian Party. This is very sad as the University of Kansas has the largest population of Paul supporters versus any other university. Not that it would let him win the state, but it would get him more delegates from Kansas.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:30 pm
Homo Dperious

Romney is beating Obama in one new poll by 5. Although I'm guessing it's skewed, they even have Santorum up by 1.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:05 am
Profile ICQ
Forum General

Well I doubt the poll is accurate, but Obama is not winning like Clinton in 96 or Reagan in 84...
I doubt that will happen.

Also the job recovery can stall.

Because frankly there are 2 job recoveries after a recession.
1. To go back to per-recession employment
2. To actually have growth in employment.
The US is still in stage 1, while for example other Countries like Germany and Canada are at stage 2.

The current job recovery is not really job growth, its just catch up getting back to an employment numbers of 2008 in the year 2012.

Many Countries have gotten back to pre recession employment numbers (not talking about the %, but total employed) but are having a hard time getting any economic growth.

Meaning the rate will remain around 6-7 or 8% for some time, even though the norm is around 4%.

Its quite difficult for govt really to stimulate...The debt levels are unsustainable and frankly politicans are giving people a great false hope about "Green Jobs".

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Mannyisthebest wrote:
Well I doubt the poll is accurate, but Obama is not winning like Clinton in 96 or Reagan in 84...
I doubt that will happen.

Also the job recovery can stall.

Because frankly there are 2 job recoveries after a recession.
1. To go back to per-recession employment
2. To actually have growth in employment.
The US is still in stage 1, while for example other Countries like Germany and Canada are at stage 2.

The current job recovery is not really job growth, its just catch up getting back to an employment numbers of 2008 in the year 2012.

Many Countries have gotten back to pre recession employment numbers (not talking about the %, but total employed) but are having a hard time getting any economic growth.

Meaning the rate will remain around 6-7 or 8% for some time, even though the norm is around 4%.

Its quite difficult for govt really to stimulate...The debt levels are unsustainable and frankly politicans are giving people a great false hope about "Green Jobs".

What is the alternative? Society is change, the U.S. isn't getting cheap manufacturing jobs back. We have lost those and we can't try to send wages down because prices won't go down to compensate. We have to come up with alternative jobs or we are screwed. And it sucks for people like me, I chose a career in museums and historic sites and the jobs are bad right now. I can only find jobs in the Park Service and I am scared republicans will take the white house and screw me out of my job.

Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:47 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next