Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Dems! We Have To Rally! 
Extraordinary

Post Dems! We Have To Rally!
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/06/opini ... d1.html?hp

Interesting article. Something to chew on, especially since the contest will drag on for so long that it won't provide too much time for licking-of-wounds before the general election begins.

I guess no one is a unifier... :tears:

We need to start sticking together!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:15 am
Some days I'm a super bitch

Post Re: Dems! We Have To Rally!
I love both Obama and Clinton, however I cannot vote.

But sign me up anyway! :thumbsup:

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Cotton wrote:
I love both Obama and Clinton, however I cannot vote.

But sign me up anyway! :thumbsup:

Good enough for me!

Ok. So, that makes...2 so far... :yes:

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:02 am
Extraordinary

Still supporting Obama, but sign me up too! Democrats have to win this election.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:09 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Definitely. I've definitely decided I'm for Obama just because of electability....but I just get so upset every time I see Clinton lose to him!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:12 am
Team Kris

Bleeding Heart here!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:22 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I think last night showed it doesn't matter who wins. The DEM turnout was bigger in EVERY state than the REP turnout, by big margins. Even in the RED states. And it cannot be all because of Obama since he didn't win the popular vote (though it was nearly even). This should be an early sing (given over 20 states voted) that there will be a huge gap this year come NOV.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Christian wrote:
Bleeding Heart here!

:yes:

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:38 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I will vote for either in November. Definitely not letting a Republican win.

That said, what's strange (and sad) is that there are so many Obama supporters who refuse to rally for Hillary if she indeed wins the nomination; they would rather a Republican win.

Regardless, I will do everything in my little power to ensure we all vote for the Democrat nominee. :yes:

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:44 pm
Superfreak

You under estimate their faith him. If Barack opts out and then back Hillary, so will the majority of his supporters.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:40 pm
Extraordinary

No Country for Sam wrote:

That said, what's strange (and sad) is that there are so many Obama supporters who refuse to rally for Hillary if she indeed wins the nomination; they would rather a Republican win.

Regardless, I will do everything in my little power to ensure we all vote for the Democrat nominee. :yes:

I think the key is that these Obama supporters who won't support Hillary are not democrats -- they are independents and republicans. I think all democrats will support whoever is nominated. However, in order to win, you need to get those independents and republicans on your side, and, as I have said before and as the polls show, Obama gets some of these people and Hillary does not.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Groucho wrote:
No Country for Sam wrote:

I think the key is that these Obama supporters who won't support Hillary are not democrats -- they are independents and republicans. I think all democrats will support whoever is nominated. However, in order to win, you need to get those independents and republicans on your side, and, as I have said before and as the polls show, Obama gets some of these people and Hillary does not.

Quote:
Vote by Gender
Clinton/Edwards/Obama/Richardson/Uncommitted
Male (44%) 39% 2% 53% 4% 1%
Female (56%) 47% 1% 47% 3% 2%

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primar ... html#NMDEM

The same polls that had Obama winning New Mexico 49-44% (according to the exit poll)? I agree that Obama gets people that don't identify as Dems more than Hillary, but there are people that won't support Obama if it is not Hillary (older Dems mostly). It is not as one sided as Obama supporters make it. They both have work to do to get Dem leaning voters out of the Republican column.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I mean so many people state Obama is doing so great in polls against McCain, but he usually doesn't do as well as his exit polling indicates. He is not getting the support people claim he is getting. That continues to be a concern if he goes into a general election.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I do agree that at this point, it looks like more Clinton supporters are willing to back Obama than vise versa, but it is just a matter of 300 or 350 Electoral College votes. From last night's result, it shows McCain is a shell of himself from 2000. With economy in worse shape and public opinion on the war having gone lower, I don't see any Dem nominee will lose the blue states Kerry carried in 2004, and they will just need like 20 more electoral votes to get to 270. I know Democrats have a tendency to snatch defeat in the jaw of victory, but if we lose again this time...

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

mdana wrote:
I mean so many people state Obama is doing so great in polls against McCain, but he usually doesn't do as well as his exit polling indicates. He is not getting the support people claim he is getting. That continues to be a concern if he goes into a general election.

One main reason for that is the early voting and absentee ballots heavily favor Clinton, something exit polls wouldn't capture. For example, in CA, 40% of the votes were casted before Tuesday, and they were the first one to be tallied; as a result, Clinton jumped to a 55/32 lead, just as SurveyUSA predicted how the early voting would break, and they were actually fairly close the rest of the way, backing the exit polls' data.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Re-sign Randy! wrote:
You under estimate their faith him. If Barack opts out and then back Hillary, so will the majority of his supporters.

That is true. And I think if she does the same, her followers will do the same. Here's hoping!

Ok, pretty good so far. Lets see if we can get to a dozen real uniters! :2thumbsup:

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:19 pm
life begins now

I'm with you guys. I will back whoever is the Democatic nominee.

Like xiayun said, both Obama and Clinton will carry all the blue states Kerry did, maybe picking up Iowa, Virginia, Colorado, and Ohio. With Strickland's endorsement and the overall anti-Republican mood in Ohio, there's a real chance. And with Warner looking to win the Virginia senate in a landslide, he could probably carry the Dem to a win there.

I'm not counting states like New Mexico or Arkansas (which could go Hillary's way if Huckabee isn't on the ticket) that are potential but unlikely to swing.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:06 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

YAY DEMS <3

Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:21 pm
Veteran

xiayun wrote:
mdana wrote:

One main reason for that is the early voting and absentee ballots heavily favor Clinton, something exit polls wouldn't capture. For example, in CA, 40% of the votes were casted before Tuesday, and they were the first one to be tallied; as a result, Clinton jumped to a 55/32 lead, just as SurveyUSA predicted how the early voting would break, and they were actually fairly close the rest of the way, backing the exit polls' data.

I think the exit polls take early voting into account. From my understanding they are mixture of % of early voting and actual exit polling. They have changed since 2000 with the popularity of absentee voting increasing. I could be mistaken on that point. Polling is getting more difficult, because the old models (land line phones, % of younger voters, etc.) are not capturing the new dynamics. People are declining to participate in much higher percentages than they were in previous decades, so that is another factor decreasing their effectiveness than in years past.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Chris wrote:
I'm with you guys. I will back whoever is the Democatic nominee.

Like xiayun said, both Obama and Clinton will carry all the blue states Kerry did, maybe picking up Iowa, Virginia, Colorado, and Ohio. With Strickland's endorsement and the overall anti-Republican mood in Ohio, there's a real chance. And with Warner looking to win the Virginia senate in a landslide, he could probably carry the Dem to a win there.

I'm not counting states like New Mexico or Arkansas (which could go Hillary's way if Huckabee isn't on the ticket) that are potential but unlikely to swing.

Clinton beat Huckabee by 202,010 to 126,685 in Arkansas. So I think she would have a good chance even with him on the ticket.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

mdana wrote:
Chris wrote:
I'm with you guys. I will back whoever is the Democatic nominee...

Clinton beat Huckabee by 202,010 to 126,685 in Arkansas. So I think she would have a good chance even with him on the ticket.

We're painting the map blue! :towel:

I think we should all start wearing more blue clothing to begin sending subliminal messages to people who see us over the next few months.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:29 pm
Extraordinary

dolcevita wrote:

We're painting the map blue! :towel:

Well, we had some help from the previous painters, who were completely incompetent! :roll:

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]