Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Suggestion Box - No Suggestion Is Too Small 
Extraordinary

makeshift wrote:
I don't want to stroke Michael's ego about, well... anything, but his version of the main page is a lot better.

agreed, though I do like the current from page :smile: its colorful :happy:

Thanks for the input everyone. We're still working on the little pink boxes. Originally we wanted them to have pictures of the most recently reviewed films, but the size nor the ability to maintain the changeover while uploading have been negotiable. We're still trying to work it out.

I like the suggestions alot. Its just that we have one content editor right now, and until we figure out how to automate most of this stuff, Eagle is doing everything freehand. Incredibly time-consuming and problematic when dealing with about a dozen full time and part time reviewers, b.o. predictors, and article writers. Keep up the comments, and we'll keep tweaking. Slow and steady wins the race. :-)

Sun May 21, 2006 3:13 am
Killing With Kindness

Sun May 21, 2006 3:14 am
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

Yeah, Eagle should be commended, I know how annoying this finickity work can be when you dont run on an automated system. I always wondered how much work KJ must be because it seems kind of static-based.

Sun May 21, 2006 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

X-Men 3
Da Vinci Wrong
Poseidon Correct
MI3 Correct

For your Friday projections tally, I think it would be better to put % off from the central number of the projection (ex. $31-34 m, would be $32.5 m). Because few people estimate Friday numbers, so just putting "correct" and "wrong" is too broad, and something like: Wrong: 5% off, or something like that, would be better.

Sat May 27, 2006 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Yeah, I think giving the percent of accuracy would be better than the "right" or "wrong," because you're more likely to have "wrongs" with Yahoo, even if it's just like $1 million off. If we show that we're consistant in accuracy, it looks better.

Sat May 27, 2006 7:28 pm
No Wire Tampons!

I think you guys should integrate Yahoo tracking into KJS mainsite. I mean if you can code calculators, you could really modify any basic php functionals and make a kind of weekly changing tracker.

Sat May 27, 2006 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

If someone wants to PM me the % each week once Friday actuals come out, I will gladly do that instead. I also think it is a good idea, but don't know how to calculate it! Especially since we use a range ... I am not sure how you would make a percent out of that.

Michael ... I would gladly inegrate Yahoo tracking into the main site, but I do not know enough about Yahoo tracking to know what kind of calculator and what purpose it would serve. If you could expand on that, I would gladly see if I can find someone to do it!

Sat May 27, 2006 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

Is this the comment box too? Anyways, just wanted to say to all of those contributing to the main site, to the contests, and to maintaining the forum: GREAT JOB. I've been lured into many great articles on the site not because of flashy design and stuff, but because some of the reads are good, quality reads. A lot of people here know more about movies, box office, the industry than supposed news people/insiders themselves. Seriously. The contests are amazing (don't know where you get your revenue, but I think it's pretty telling that you guys can afford this. Meaning, you are working damn hard.) And lastly, I have so very FEW problems with the forums, both technically and socially. There will always be problems here and there, but you respond to them so well. And this very forum ("The Site") is actually read and people's comments/suggestions/complaints/whatever are actually acknowledged and taken into account!

So, it is very, very much appreciated. Thank you, thank you.

PEACE, Mike.

Sun May 28, 2006 1:51 am
Some days I'm a super bitch

:)

Sun May 28, 2006 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Same here i find the main site's articles to be top notch and very interesting. The prediction thing i agree should be less absolutist then it is and should incorporate "5% over, 5% under styles."

Sun May 28, 2006 3:16 am
Draughty

Here's an idea for the forum. You had a homework section but it flopped for the obvious reason that people should be doing their own homework. But what about a general help section. For all the sorts of problems people have questions for that maybe others here can help them with. Like help me convert this kind of file to that, help me understand my ipod, help I can't get my new hard drive to work, you get the idea. It won't get huge traffic but it's an idea to consider, might catch on.

Wed May 31, 2006 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Is this the comment box too? Anyways, just wanted to say to all of those contributing to the main site, to the contests, and to maintaining the forum: GREAT JOB. I've been lured into many great articles on the site not because of flashy design and stuff, but because some of the reads are good, quality reads. A lot of people here know more about movies, box office, the industry than supposed news people/insiders themselves. Seriously. The contests are amazing (don't know where you get your revenue, but I think it's pretty telling that you guys can afford this. Meaning, you are working damn hard.) And lastly, I have so very FEW problems with the forums, both technically and socially. There will always be problems here and there, but you respond to them so well. And this very forum ("The Site") is actually read and people's comments/suggestions/complaints/whatever are actually acknowledged and taken into account!

So, it is very, very much appreciated. Thank you, thank you.

PEACE, Mike.

not sure how I missed this post.

Thanks Mike :smile:

Wed May 31, 2006 9:09 pm
Extraordinary

I posted this in the box office thread, but its probably more suitable here:

I know it takes time to get the Yahoo review analysis in, but from an objective observer perspective, if wokj really wants to bring more attention to it, its important to get some more numbers out a bit earlier. Alot of the time, I (living in eastern std. time), will go to sleep, and then when I wake up, will look at it quickly (ie Yahoo reviews thread), but then the Friday #'s are out half an hour or an hr later, so the impact of the analysis could be much greater I think to get a number out a bit earlier. That's where part of the confusion comes up I think from alot of the casual people that stop by here, but dont know too much of how the system works, and often confuse it as an official Friday number. Ie. I think some type of guage system where people continually refine their estimates along the way, and pinpoint it down to a final tally, that visitors can watch, to see the process a bit more, and be able to follow it more easily (I've been here a while, and still it can be challenging). Righ tnow, most of the action doesn't really happen until near the very end of the day.

Ex. Maybe something on the main site, with hourly changes to the Yahoo reviews, and then have a few updated projections, before the absolutely final one made at the end, just so that those people that aren't able to see the final #'s in time, can be part of the gauging of the film.

Ex.:

"1:00 pm est 4000 + 354 reviews, B+

This is a strong performance so far for movie A. A similar ex. is ___. It is still too early to tell, but we could be looking at about ___ for Friday. The reviews and ratio of written reviews to total is a very encouraging sign."

"7:00 pm est 6352 +633 A-"

Movie A continued its strong performance, and we are able to narrow the film down to _, for a _ ratio for Friday, which is similar to ____.

I think the interest factor for Yahoo reviews is that its in real time, but people unaware of really how they work, just look, but then are lost, and alot of the time, the prime time for them is earlier in the afternoon, rather than late at night. So I think it would be a good idea for WOKJ, and the Yahoo reviews thread in general, to branch out into a more real time experience for the site visitor, and that will really help out the site. Ie I know that its an ongoing analysis in the forum, but just on the main site, I think it would be great to have a realtime experience that is a bit simpler to follow for the average movie fan. Ex. Things like a Yahoo reviews ticker on the front page itself, and the currently hourly consensus of where it could be heading. Very similar to the style of LMI ticker that goes on, but more just centered around the Yahoo reviews thread analysis.

That is all from me! I hope people appreciate my suggestion.
-----------------------
So essentially, to summarize my blabber:

A Realtime ticker on the main site linked to Yahoo reviews info would be great (similar to LMI's ticker). It would a big thing that the site could be known for, as for alot of the other box office sites, box office analysis ends at their weekend predictions, but not enough people understand how the Yahoo reviews works, and it might be more helpful if they can follow along in realtime without themselves getting overwhelmed with too many numbers.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I think you guys should integrate Yahoo tracking into KJS mainsite. I mean if you can code calculators, you could really modify any basic php functionals and make a kind of weekly changing tracker.

Yes, exactly! You summed it up well. :happy:

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

The TV section of this forum has a lot of regular posters with knowledge and energy about the shows they love. Why not commission some articles on certain TV shows? The audience for some shows are fanatical and they will land on the KJ article eventually, increasing hits and possibly even adding a forum member or two.

Examples of shows: 24, Lost, Battlestar Galactica. This is not me volunteering for anything but I have a strong hunch there are knowledgeable posters here who would be willing to put together a nice article about a show they know a lot about, where it stands now, it's prospects for the future and such.

Or even an overview of science fiction on television.

It just seems to me like that might increase traffic to the site. Fans of TV shows are often more fanatical than movie fans, outside of a few movie franchises.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

i think its possible to do something like that. i'll have to look into what structure requires changing on the site and we could probably have one article a week about a show. something like a show review episode or spoiler or analysis. lets develop the idea.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Who runs this forum? Sorry, but I dont know...

Anyway, whoever it is, CONGRATS!!!

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

The other admins are Krem, Scott V and Loyal from London. (I constantly want to say BAba but he isn't any more)

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I really like that they take suggestions via thread. That is quite cool, I never recognized this the last time I was here....

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

Well they usually do consider them, unless of course its something like "Lets all be a mod for the day!".

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

That is good to hear. ALtho, I knew they wouldnt consider outrageous things like that. And it seems their isnt a mod issue anyway, bc I have yet to see any complaints...

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

OK one more thought, and I"m aware it's a lot easier to suggest things than do them so take this as you will.

Didn't you guys used to have a weekly comparison of box office predictions? Like listing out the weekend box office predictions of most sites and providing an average? That seemed like something to keep up, it could be used by everyone from hsx players to office betting pool people, and get you guys more hits as it became wider known.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Amit used to do that in the old days of Mojo, then few people continued here. It stopped though. But guess it could be a nice addition to box office section which is now quite empty.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:14 pm
Site Owner

If anyone wants to compile and submit that column, it is deffinatly something we would be interested in hosting, problem is we have noone to compile it on a consistent weekly basis right now.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next