Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Favourite Movie Summer? 

What is your favourite Movie Summer?
1977 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1982 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1984 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1989 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
1993 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
1994 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
1996 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
1998 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1999 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
2002 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2003 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2004 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2007 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
2008 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
2009 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2012 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2013 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2015 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2018 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (please specify) 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Favourite Movie Summer? 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Favourite Movie Summer?
We are half way through this movie season, one that despite producing the second highest grossing film of all time will likely go down as a disappointment (unless things turn around in a big way).

So I thought it would be good to discuss your favourite movie season(s).

What is your favourite summer movie season?

We'll play loose on the criteria so "favourite" could relate to the quality of movies, the experiences watching movies that summer, box office, buzz etc. I'ts up to you.

Would be good if you can provide details on what made those summers so special or memorable and identify the films or experiences that made it so.

You can go back as far as you want from summers you lived through to others that you just happen to like the films released in that summer.

Also happy to see rankings and listings for more than 1 summer (i.e. Top 5 or Top 10)

From there I'm looking to collate a "KJ's favourite summer ranking" which we may then vote on.

Also, "summer" = May 1st to August 31st but also includes any major summer kick-off in late April (i.e. Endgame/Infinity War years).

I'll post mine shortly.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:03 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: Favourite Movie Summer?
A teenager in the 90's - I am partial to that era. Nowadays I watch a few tentpoles + a few kids films and really only look forward to the Oct-Jan awards type films. But back then it was all about the summer.

Summer 1994

Speed was an action spectacle that blew me away.
True Lies was James Cameron and Arnie's second masterpiece in a row after T2.
The Lion King became an instant animation classic.
Forrest Gump was a rare film that I saw twice in theatres. I may not feel the same way now but back then it was my favourite film ever. Still a magical experience looking back.
The Mask - Jim Carrey at his silly best in his breakthrough year.
The Client - Grisham adaptation released weeks after I'd read the book.
City Slickers II - not a classic by any means but I enjoyed it.

Summer 1989

This was the first summer I became interested in movies and actually saw some of the summer event films at the cinema.

I still recall seeing a drive-in that was showing Indiana Jones and the last Crusade, Batman and Ghostbusters II on the same weekend. Pretty insane. This was also the summer that ushered in the megaplex era. OW records were broken three times in the one summer which is something we have not seen since.

I look back at that summer as an 11 year old and I can just feel the 80s Stranger Things vibe - riding our bikes till dark, looking forward to films like Indy or Honey I Shrunk the Kids, heading to high school the following year - fond memories.

In the years after I was able to appreciate other films such as Do the Right Thing (maybe best of the year), Crimes and Misdemeanours, Lethal Weapon 2, Parenthood, Sex, Lies and Videotape and we even had a Bond film released.

Summer 1999

Hot off the Spring's Matrix and 10 Things I Hate About You - Summer 99 was truly memorable for a number of reasons.

Fave films - Sixth Sense, The Limey, American Pie, Spy Who Shagged Me, The Mummy, Election, Thomas Crown Affair, The Iron Giant, Bowfinger + zeitgeist films like The Phantom Menace and Blair Witch - it was a truly epic summer.

Summer of 96

I still remember the trailers for the big summer films - never has there been a better crop of trailers. Twister, Mission Impossible, The Rock, Dragonheart, A Time to Kill, Courage Under Fire, The Cable Guy, Nutty Professor, Eraser and the leader of the pack ID4. It's as event as a summer can be. And it delivered in spades - even if it fizzled out towards the end.

Summer of 1993

Unlike today's boxoffice - Summer 93 was truly a gem for adults. Yet at 15, I enjoyed it more than anything we get today. I'm talking The Fugitive, Dave, In the Line of Fire, Cliffhanger, The Firm, A Perfect World and offcourse Jurassic Park. What a summer. Would be happy with half that crop now.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:56 am
The Kramer

I'd have to double check, but 2008 is the only thing that comes to mind. What other year could compete with a top 6 of Dark Knight, Wall-E, Pineapple Express, Step Brothers, Kung Fu Panda and Iron Man?

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:34 am
Hold the door!

2007 had all my favorite franchises, even if Shrek 3 was disappointing I still enjoyed the theater experience.

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:12 am
Romosexual!

SUMMER 2008 was pretty fun & hilarious :D

The Dark Knight, Ironman, Wall-E, Kung FU Panda, Hancock,
The Incredible Hulk, Wanted, Hellboy 2, Step Brothers, Tropic Thunder,

Pineapple Express, Speed Racer, Indiana Jones: KOTCS, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
X-Files: I want to Believe, The Mummy 3, The Rocker, You Don't Mess with the Zohan, Sex and the City, The Happening

Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:22 pm
Romosexual!

SUMMER 2015 was pretty good as well

Mad Max: Fury Road, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Inside Out, Ant-Man, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Jurassic World, Straight Outta Compton, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, Dope, Trainwreck, Tomorrowland, Magic Mike XXL, Ted 2, Spy, The Gift

Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:40 pm

2008 was probably the last year where I can remember that was just a magical time at the cinemas. I have enjoys going to the movies since, 2013-2015 was a great stretch, but perhaps it was my youth, but having just graduated high school, it was a wild time with the Dark Knight (multiple times), Indiana Jones, Wall-E, and Iron Man all being memorable movie going experiences. Honestly, only Dark Knight remains one of my favorites currently, (Iron Man would if it had a better final act), but this was a great summer for going to the movies.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:23 pm
now we know

The summer of 2000 probably solidified my love of film and cinema more than any other summer. It's just my year, my era entirely. The year I would like to go back to.

I saw all of these at the cinema: Mission: Impossible II, Chicken Run, The Patriot, Gladiator, The Perfect Storm, X-Men, What Lies Beneath, Gone in Sixty Seconds, Shanghai Noon and Big Momma's House, and I had an absolute blast. It was also the first year I could get in to see films with a 15 rating. Here we have the first modern superhero movie with X-Men, the beginning of the sword and sandal revival with Gladiator, and the start of Cruise's Mr. Blockbuster era with M:I-2 (and "Take A Look Around" by Limp Bizkit being the anthem of the summer). But that summer also had good ones I didn't see at the cinema, such as Me, Myself & Irene, Small Time Crooks, The Art of War and Hollow Man.

Nothing special in terms of box office performances, though.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Algren wrote:
The summer of 2000 probably solidified my love of film and cinema more than any other summer. It's just my year, my era entirely. The year I would like to go back to.

I saw all of these at the cinema: Mission: Impossible II, Chicken Run, The Patriot, Gladiator, The Perfect Storm, X-Men, What Lies Beneath, Gone in Sixty Seconds, Shanghai Noon and Big Momma's House, and I had an absolute blast. It was also the first year I could get in to see films with a 15 rating. Here we have the first modern superhero movie with X-Men, the beginning of the sword and sandal revival with Gladiator, and the start of Cruise's Mr. Blockbuster era with M:I-2 (and "Take A Look Around" by Limp Bizkit being the anthem of the summer). But that summer also had good ones I didn't see at the cinema, such as Me, Myself & Irene, Small Time Crooks, The Art of War and Hollow Man.

I COULDN'T GET ENOUGH OF M:I2 :D that summer.
6 times just for the motorcycle sequences :wub2: John Woo IS DA MAN!

Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:05 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Algren wrote:

Nothing special in terms of box office performances, though.

Interesting choice. Yes it wasn't a great box office summer but there were some very good films. I'd just started going out with an ex girlfriend and our first date film was Gladiator. We then saw all those you mentioned (bar X-Men) plus others.

Loved The Patriot, MI2, Gladiator, What Lies Beneath, Hollow Man, Irene and The Perfect Storm.

Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:44 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
2008 was probably the last year where I can remember that was just a magical time at the cinemas. I have enjoys going to the movies since, 2013-2015 was a great stretch, but perhaps it was my youth, but having just graduated high school, it was a wild time with the Dark Knight (multiple times), Indiana Jones, Wall-E, and Iron Man all being memorable movie going experiences. Honestly, only Dark Knight remains one of my favorites currently, (Iron Man would if it had a better final act), but this was a great summer for going to the movies.

2008 as a summer was the best part of what I thought was an overall weak year.

Any summer with The Dark Knight and Iron Man alone is great really.

Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:45 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Rev wrote:
SUMMER 2008 was pretty fun & hilarious :D

The Dark Knight, Ironman, Wall-E, Kung FU Panda, Hancock,
The Incredible Hulk, Wanted, Hellboy 2, Step Brothers, Tropic Thunder,

Pineapple Express, Speed Racer, Indiana Jones: KOTCS, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
X-Files: I want to Believe, The Mummy 3, The Rocker, You Don't Mess with the Zohan, Sex and the City, The Happening

Yes good choice - forgot both Speed Racer and Step Brothers also came out that summer. Both superb.

Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:47 am
Keeping it Light

I also can't come up with a better movie summer than 2000 for me.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:04 pm
The Kramer

Well we can now be confident that nobody will ever answer 2022.

Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:49 pm
On autopilot for the summer

2001 and 2003 were better than 2000. I don’t think ive ever seen more movies than summer 2003. The quality was rough but the legit lineup was crazy.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]