Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 How The Ending Of TDKR is Feeding The Nolan Myth 
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post How The Ending Of TDKR is Feeding The Nolan Myth
http://www.chud.com/67609/how-the-endin ... olan-myth/

This is a pretty lengthy article and discusses how and why Christopher Nolan has become something of a Myth and why the guy receives so much hype.. I was gonna post this in TDKR Anticipation Thread, but felt it was more than BATMAN news.. I'll post 1 quote where he's compared to how M.Night Shamalyan was treated after the SIXTH SENSE..

Quote:
Nolan isn’t the first to be put into this position… think back to M. Night Shyamalan around the time of Unbreakable and Signs. In the way Nolan is now often held up to Kubrick, Shyamalan was as frequently compared to Hitchcock and Spielberg. This happens in sports, commerce, technology, art… we love the idea that we’re watching a new Titan forming, even as that kind of excited build up often results in a premature collapse of the figure being spotlighted (see: Shyamalan!). The difference between Nolan and Shyamalan though, is that Nolan’s beginnings and ascent to his current level of power and clout were much more modest and slow-burning. Memento was a big deal, but not at the phenomenon scale like The Sixth Sense.

I will say it's a fascinating observation and writeup and for the most part, the Nolan/Batfans are pretty calm about this, but if DEVIN were to have penned this article, he'd be lynched for it..I will say though that while M.Night Shamalyan had a great, twist ending hit with The SIXTH SENSE, he also made a string of BOMBS and the aura and mystique of this guy pretty well disappeared.. SIGNS was good, but misleading in it's storyline that was more than just the usual "Alien invasion" storyline with "Faith" and religion being thrown into the mix and UNBREAKABLE simply slid under the radar.. In the end, could Nolan end up blowing it on TDKR causing his so called Aura and Mystique to disappear as well like M.Night Shaymalan did?? It's something t give thought to.. :-k

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:48 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: How The Ending Of TDKR is Feeding The Nolan Myth
M Night Shyamalan's career fell apart quickly after the Sixth Sense, critics didn't like his films after that movie. Unbreakable had mixed reviews and Signs was barely fresh. Nolan has had 5 films that were loved by critics and one of them got serious Oscar contention. Give it up BKB. Nolan is a great director and he isn't going to vanish like M. Night who was only a one trick pony.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:01 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: How The Ending Of TDKR is Feeding The Nolan Myth
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
M Night Shyamalan's career fell apart quickly after the Sixth Sense, critics didn't like his films after that movie. Unbreakable had mixed reviews and Signs was barely fresh. Nolan has had 5 films that were loved by critics and one of them got serious Oscar contention. Give it up BKB. Nolan is a great director and he isn't going to vanish like M. Night who was only a one trick pony.

You don't know that and if TDKR ends up being more of a disappointment from the massive expectations people like you have placed on this movie, then YES, he very well could end up like Shamaylan, but it'll take awhile for the fans to come to terms with it and admit it.. It will happen and it's happened with Spielberg already and he's a filmmaker that trumps Nolan on all counts.. Moviemakers make movies that sometimes are hit and miss.. I hope TDKR fails on that level just so I can rub it in.. :whistle:

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]