Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Are you horror fans... 
Lord of filth

Post Are you horror fans...
...worried that after this recent spate of really horrible horror genre movies that they are killing the chances at making really great and surprising horror films?

I'm not just talking about the PG13 issue, I'm just talking about the general overabundance of films in that "genre".

Really, since Dawn of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead last year there really hasn't been much innovation or a serious or new type of horror film. People might argue for The Grudge but it is a remake and the whole project (Japanese or not) is a Ringu knock off.

Just interested to see what you all thought.

After watching the incredibly derivative The Grudge last night, I'm wondering why seemingly horrible films... almost a new horror movie every week... are able to grab that audience.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:33 am
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

this year is really devoid of horror movies that i'm looking forward to, unlike last year. the only ones i'm highly anticipating are the devil's rejects and land of the dead. i'm not a fan of the "PG-13" horror movies. i'm not putting them down, but i just don't find them scary. i like a good R or Unrated horror movie. the more horrific the imagery, and the more violent a film is, the scarier the movie is to me.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:42 am
Veteran

I like horror films but I am not suprised at any of them really let alone scared.

Last edited by Appy on Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
La Bella Vito

Well I think this year is going to be great for horror movies. I'm looking forward to The Ring 2, The Amityville Horror, Land Of The Dead, The Fog, Cursed, Saw 2, and Boogeyman. It's looking like an exciting year for horror movies already, and I hope they are all successful.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

I, too, am getting tired of all the horror.

I really liked The Grudge. I thought it was creepy and had a nice sense of atmosphere.

Unfortunately, like Scream did with all the slasher movies, it seems to have spawned a generic crop of horror movies that have been sitting on the shelf forever, like Boogeyman and Cursed.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:51 am
New Server, Same X

Last year, I saw four enjoyable horror movies: Saw, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and The Grudge. Lynch me if you must... but I've never seen The Ring. I know, what kind of horror fan am I? I'm not really. You'll see from my list of movies I've seen that I see all sorts of movies. It just so happens that horror was great last year. It could be action or drama this year that excels.

Based on the rush of horror films (I'm going to include Alone in the Dark, although I don't know what the hell it was supposed to be) so far this year, NONE grabbed my attention. Hide and Seek has been the best so far, and that is clearly a mediocre at best effort, with the only real good quality being the acting from Dakota Fanning. White Noise... my opinion continues to diminish. It had a great idea, with some genuine jump moments, but they fucked up the last 20 minutes of the movie. And Alone in the Dark... clearly one of the worst films ever made.

Boogeyman looks to be in the low B or C range for me, most likely in C-territory. This year is ripe with bad movies. Assault on Precinct 13 is the only film to get a recommendation from me. I liked Elektra, and on my grading scale, it gets a recommendation. But, I know damn well no one else will like it that I know. That's not the question, though. Too many horror films? Yes. They are killing the flow of great horror films last year with lousy ones this year. The Ring II may be all right, but I'll need to see the first. Saw II will be a lousy sequel that is definitely as needed as a third Baby Geniuses. Horror is nothing about originality. Last year spawned two original pieces of work in Saw and Shaun of the Dead. The other two were remakes, so it's hard to call them original. But, now we're getting that same generic shit that comes around when a genre starts flourishing again. $20 million+ weekends will only make this shitstorm of bad horror films continue for a while.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:01 am
New Server, Same X

Oops, I did forget about Land of the Dead and The Amityville Horror. Those will probably be the only notable horror films this year.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:03 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Last year wasnt that great for horror either. I only had three horrors I would recommend:Shaun of the Dead, Saw, and Dawn of the Dead. I thought the Grudge was rather generic, I guess I just hate PG-13 movies and movies that really on the jump-spook tactic. As for now, I will stick with R-rated and non-rated movies so I look forward to High Tension and Land of the Dead

Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:20 am
Star Trek XI

I am not worried at all, actually. I'm used to it. There are always cycles where we seem to have some really good ones and then what seems like an endless stream of absolute garbage. When things get really bad I just turn to ebay and pick up really great Asian horror.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:35 am
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Is anyone else tired of the "here comes a scary moment, lets make it noisy, loud, annoying crappy music and really bad editing." I want to be able to see what is going on and stop with the crappy CGI "ghosts". That is the farthest thing from anything that maybe could scare a 3 year old. The only good thing this year will be Land of the Dead. Romero won't let us down, he is the Zombie king. Saw doesn't need a sequel, that movie is great. I'm just so sick of todays "horror" because it isn't that at all.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:27 am
Award Winning Bastard

I'm not a horror fan. Predictable formula filmmaking, with nothing interesting or scary. I have noticed, especially online, that people REALLY exaggerate when talking about scary movies. You would have thought that The Ring was really something scary by the online "YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS! I'VE NEVER BEEN SO SCARED!" nonsense that I saw , and it just looks like people want to be scared so badly when they pay to be scared, that they convince themselves that they were. It's almost like how people laugh because they are supposed to, and not because something was funny. The Ring was not a scary movie at all. Saw was not a scary movie at all. I have no desire to watch the next movie that wasn't a scary movie at all.

It's kinda funny, but the old Universal Monster movies like Dracula, King Kong, The Wolf Man, and Frankenstein , were very early movies that I watched, and they did give me the creeps, and brought me into the world of being the movie fanatic that I became, but the genre became one of my least favorites, and for good reason. Nobody knows how to do anything good within the genre, and very few aren't so predictable that they bore me.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:43 am
Veteran

I'm not a horror fan. Predictable formula filmmaking, with nothing interesting or scary. I have noticed, especially online, that people REALLY exaggerate when talking about scary movies. You would have thought that The Ring was really something scary by the online "YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS! I'VE NEVER BEEN SO SCARED!" nonsense that I saw , and it just looks like people want to be scared so badly when they pay to be scared, that they convince themselves that they were. It's almost like how people laugh because they are supposed to, and not because something was funny. The Ring was not a scary movie at all. Saw was not a scary movie at all. I have no desire to watch the next movie that wasn't a scary movie at all.

It's kinda funny, but the old Universal Monster movies like Dracula, King Kong, The Wolf Man, and Frankenstein , were very early movies that I watched, and they did give me the creeps, and brought me into the world of being the movie fanatic that I became, but the genre became one of my least favorites, and for good reason. Nobody knows how to do anything good within the genre, and very few aren't so predictable that they bore me.

I agree with you on this Mav. And the Saw was not scarey at all the only part that made me jump was when I saw who the bad guy was.....horrors he looked like my boss :shock:

Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:51 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I pretty much agree with Maverikk and Cleric

Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:11 am
Teenage Dream

This is what I posted in the Boogeyman review thread. I love horror. I've been a horror fan since as long as I can remember. Seriously, though... enough is enough.

Yeah, this was pretty terrible. I went in with lower than low expectations because of the terrible WOM, but even they weren't met. The strangest thing about this film is how incredibly boring it is. Things are always happening, but none of them are interesting or scary in the slightest, so I just kind of sat there waiting for something to surprise me. Nothing did. The jump scares are so ridiculously telegraphed they fail to make you jump, so they end up being filler. The only people that would find this scary are either people still in middle school or people who haven't seen any horror movies - because there is nothing new here. The director and cinematographer do manage to put together some nice, rather arty shot compositions, but the film is so ridiculously edited that a single shot doesn't last for more than three or four seconds. I had a hard time understanding exactly what was going on in this film because of the editing. Everything was so spastic and all over the place. The ending was terrible, too. Why does everything have to be CGI now? It just looks... terrible. I have a really hard time getting scared of something that looks like it's out of a seven year old video game.

Also, i'm normally a fan of hiding the creature in the shadows until the final reel, but this film desperately needed to reveal their villian early in the game. Whenever Barry Watson's character went into a closet, I literally forgot what I was supposed to be scared of because there had been little mention and no sign of the titular character throughout the film. God, the more I write about it, the more I hate this film. What a joke. A complete waste of space. As a horror fan, i've become literally embarrassed by the dreck passing as horror that's invaded the theaters this year. This stuff is just atrocious. White Noise, Hide and Seek, and now this. Who are these films made for? Who could possibly find this stuff entertaining or scary? I guess my answer lies in the fact that my showing of Boogeyman tonight was filled with middle schoolers and high school freshmen screaming at the top of their lungs, dropping cuss words into their sentences every other word, and using the word "fag" a lot. I'm seriously considering never seeing another PG13 horror film in theaters again. Every single time it's like this, and at least I could help in the cause of stopping production of these films. Horror has become a joke. It's something that 13 and 14 year olds see on Friday night as an excuse to try and impress each other with who can be the most blatantly homophobic in a public setting, and who can scream the loudest at shit that's not even scary. Wow. This has turned into quite the little rant. :lol:

Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:44 am
Horror Hound

WHITE NOISE (HIT)
HIDE AND SEEK (HIT)
BOOGEYMAN (?)
CONSTANTINE
CURSED
THE RING 2
THE AMITYVILLE HORROR
HOUSE OF WAX
DARK WATER
DEVILS REJECTS
SAW 2
THE FOG
EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE
UNDERWORLD 2

I rekon, after BOOGEYMAN, people will be tired of horror movies until RING 2. Constantine will survive with good numbers, because of it's small amount of horror element. But i think CURSED is now going to flop with around a $12M/$30M run.

AMITYVILLE HORROR and THE RING 2 will be massive hit's i rekon.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]