Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 So which version of Double Indemnity is the Best? 
Extraordinary

Post So which version of Double Indemnity is the Best?
Barring the original in 1944, there have been tons of re-makes including Body Heat (1981) and The Last Seduction (1994) and there have also been very direct spin-offs of the story line like the two versions of The Postman Always Rings Twice.

Which of them is your favorite? Acting? Every woman from Lana Turner, to Kathleen Turner has done this role. Jessica Lang and Jack Nicholson. Best direction? Best reinterpretation? Am I missing any from the above listed?

My favorite is Body Heat. I think it did a great job translating the characters into convincing contemporary ones. I thought there was nothing more appropriate than William Hurt being a bored small town lawyer, and Turner just being a wealthy man's wife at their beach home. They were both great in this version. Plus I like the heat wave take on it, since it made all the movements very languid and slow. It made sense in terms of building suspense.

I didn't like Last Seduction nearly as much as so many other people did. And as great as Fiorentino was, she scripting made her too obvious. You always heard her swearing on the phone and being really mean. Made me wonder why anyone would be interested in her. And of course, its such a small boring town, that's the excuse. But even in small boring towns, I don't think its excuse enough. She did a good job, but the male counter-parts, Bill Pullman and Peter Berg were just terrible.

I didn't see the original Postman, but I couldn't get into the second one with Nicholson. It felt a bit life a miscaste, and he just doesn't look like the kind of guy that can be fooled in such a way. I mean, I've seen plenty of movies were he gets gragged into things through myths and lies, but they are always full and atmospheric ones, never just some falling for a woman. His face and character just don't match up with who Frank is supposed to be. Killed the movie for me.

What's your fave? Should DePalma's Femme Fatale be included in the list as the newest version? I don't know, I didn't manage to see it yet.

Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:57 pm
Commander and Chef

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]