Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 The Cross Dressers 
Extraordinary

Post The Cross Dressers
Cross Dressing movies are always interesting for the reason that most of them either attempt to provide insight into gender, or because they're just so hilarious. Only, their is such an assumption about the above two, that often, especially as far as comedy goes, its just not enough. I don't find it funny just because a guy is wearing make-up, etc. Something has to happen too.

So which ones did you like, whick ones were underrated, and which ones fell flat?

The Robin William remake of Mrs. Doubtfire was terrible. One of the worst. I don't know why but it just wasn't up there with Hoffman in Tootsie. Perhaps because too much about it was just about the domestic space and being with the kids, etc, and that just got boring. I like it in the work world better I guess.

I remember some film that had two guys dress as nuns to hide that was so so. There was a part were they went into a store and had to by cover-up and the clerk asked them if nuns could wear make-up. They responded with "It's our day off." But I don't remember much more than that, so it must not have been spectacular.

Steisand goes the root of drama in Yentl, and it kinda gave me a headache. It wasn't bad, it was just too heavy handed. Perhaps under better direction it could have been a great movie, but now it just falls under my middle range category.

I have a guilty pleasure/soft spot for two year's ago Sorority Boys. I don't know why I thought it was so funny, but it just was. I loved the guy that becomes obssessed with his butt and gets really excited when the dress he wants is available in his size 8. It had some really cute moments, and probably the only unfunny part was the shower scene. I thought the powder puff football game was great. hehe.

I've never seen Victor/Victoria which is supposed to be a classic, so by all means, anyone who has please drop your thought on it as well.

What do you guys think of the genre? Getting to be overkill or is there still room for new material?

Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:34 pm
Extraordinary

Overkill? No, I don't think that's the case. It's an intriguing genre in its own right, in the same way that it has been in literature.

I think the problem comes down to one thing: Some Like it Hot.

That film did it about as well as it could have been done. Since then, everyone else has been trying to play catch-up, and failed. But then again, every comedy has tried to catch up with Some Like it Hot too :)

But ya, if there is a 'standard', Some Like it Hot is the film that set it.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Huh? Forgot about that one. I actually haven't seen it, but I think Marilyn movies (or at least a few of them) get alot less credit than they deserve even if she's just part of an ensemble cast.

I'll take your word for it and check it out when I can.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:22 pm
Extraordinary

I'll take your word for it and check it out when I can.

Please do, I don't think you'll regret it! It is easily one of the greatest films of all time. I know that phrase is thrown around all the time, but this time, I think it's an apt categorization. It is, I believe, widely considered a near perfect film.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

I loved Robin Williams' "Mrs. Doubtfire". Now, I'm not looking forward to the sequel (if the rumors are true...), but I do think the original is one of the better comedies (seriously. It'd be on my top 200, with Clerks! ;)). There's some very funny material in the film, including about every instance Williams' character is in the bathroom (changing). Other funny scenes were the ones on the bus (where the older-aged bus driver gives Mrs Doubtfire the sign of approval!) and when Mrs Doubtfire plays soccer among her (well, I should be saying his) sons.

I didn't see Sorority Boys...it is consistently funny? It just looked too stupid in the trailers for me to even consider wasting two hours...

Tootsie is one of the movies that would also be in my top 200 (or...125, for that matter. Torrino's top 100 list version 1 and a half! w00t!). I LOVE Dustin Hoffman in this film. But, it's got a special meaning to me since it was the one movie my grandfather always watched and enjoyed... before he died. In fact, it was about the only movie he owned, and we'd always watch it when there wasn't a Cleveland Indians game on (since he lived in a Cleveland suburb...). I never got tired of it.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:15 am
Hot Fuss

Tootsie, and, imo, THE BIRDCAGE are some of the best movies ever. I don't think the genre is tired. I think it, like most genres that aren't your core, mainstream ones, you have to have good writing to keep it afloat. Yes, good writing. Who would have thought. With a clever script, a good director, and some acting, I think any genre can stay alive forever. It seems, lately, it has been lacking.... look at Connie & Carla :x

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy T

The Birdcage rocks. Plus, aren't both the leads Jewish anyways?

It's a seriously funny film with serious commentary on serious issues. Okay, maybe not. :lol:

It's definitely got its moments. Especially the ending. Hysterical.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:30 am
Hot Fuss

They play Jews. Thats what makes it so funny, when they are playing Greek Orthodox Christians.... heh. That movie kicks ass. Makes fun of everyone. I love it. Seriously insane.

I quote the movie everyday.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy T

Ya, but I think they are Jewish. I should make a Jewish Movies thread. So many good ones...Driving Miss Daisy, Fiddler on the Roof, Funny Girl, etc.

I would've expected you to respond to it being your favorite movie with something like "I relate to it".

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:34 am
Hot Fuss

I thought it was a given I relate to it? :lol: Its making fun of EVERYTHING I am. Except Jewish. Thats why I love it.

"I pierced the toast! Bwahaha!"

Best. Line. Ever.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Oh I forgot about Birdcage. Good one Zach. I saw it in theatres, so don't remember the details too well, but I do remember enjoying it, and anything Hackman touches turns into gold, so thats that. And Mike Nichols is one of the best. He did Working Girl and Silkwood and POstcards from the Edge and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, all of which I love.

I'm going to get shot for asking this, but anyone seen the original bridcage, "La Cage aux Folles?" 1978 French Film.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:53 am
Lord of filth

Boys Don't Cry
The Crying Game
Prescilla Queen of the Desert
To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar
Flawless
Just One of the Guys

I loathe Some Like it Hot

Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:01 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Oh I forgot about Birdcage. Good one Zach. I saw it in theatres, so don't remember the details too well, but I do remember enjoying it, and anything Hackman touches turns into gold, so thats that. And Mike Nichols is one of the best. He did Working Girl and Silkwood and POstcards from the Edge and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, all of which I love.

I'm going to get shot for asking this, but anyone seen the original bridcage, "La Cage aux Folles?" 1978 French Film.

I actually haven't seen the original, unfortunately. I really want to try it some time, but I haven't found a version with subtitles. Our video store doesn't even have half the classics. It sucks living in a small town. I hope to catch it some day, though. Its supposed to be a riot.

Andaroo, I loved "Just One of the Guys". Thats another funny movie. I wouldn't call it classic, but pretty much anyone can enjoy it.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]