Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Visitor 
Extra on the Ordinary

Post The Visitor
Since it seems like it doesn't have its own thread in here yet!!

As I have stated in other threads I think it is easily the best film of the year so far, and sure to tank up there even by the end of the year.

It's from the director of The Station Agent (another gem). This one is a bit different...I think the subject matter is a slightly heavier when compared to The Station Agent. Nevertheless it's just as good, if not better, as Agent. Richard Jenkins, I think, is a near-lock for an Oscar nomination but the entire cast is fantastic! I think a screenplay nomination is also very possible.

So who here has seen it already? If not there's still time to catch it in theaters!

Best Actress 2008

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: The Visitor
I saw it back when it first came out. I agree with Rod... best movie of the year so far. I think it will be an uphill battle for Jenkins, but I'll be rooting for him.

Also, it's impressive to note that The visitor is practically the only indie release that's had some sort of life this summer. Everything else has basically gone nowhere. I'm hoping it can reach $10m... more people need to see it!!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:39 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

The fact that the movie has done so well will mean it's DVD release date will probably be perfect to bring back some attention to it. (Does anyone know if there's a release date yet?)

And critics will go crazy for his performance at the end of the year, I think. He's this year's Julie Christie. Well, now quite, but... ;)

What I think will really help him, though, is the fact that his performance is pretty much the only one that stands a chance come Oscar time for the first half of the year! That will go a long way.

Best Actress 2008

Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Rod, have you seen The Band's Visit?

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:03 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

I haven't seen it, no.

Good? Or rather, just how good is it?

Best Actress 2008

Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Rod wrote:
I haven't seen it, no.

Good? Or rather, just how good is it?

Probably best movie of the year after Vistor.

It has that very slow, dry humor. But if you loved the mother in the visitor, you will fall in LOVE with the female lead in Band's Visit.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:12 am
Extra on the Ordinary

hehe i'll check it out, but i might have to wait til it's out on dvd.

now, how can we "gently push" people to go to the visitor?

Best Actress 2008

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:49 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

not the best film of the year, but definitely a great, small film. Although even among indies, I rank it below "4 Months, 3 Weeks, & 2 Days," "Winged Creatures," and the still-undistributed "Hottie BoombaLattie." Richard Jenkins (that was the main actor, right?) was fantastic.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Up 15% this past weekend despite a theater count decrease!!

Maybe this thread is working after all ;) Keep seeing it! Or rather...see it for the first time!

Best Actress 2008

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

My half-year Oscar pony is definitely Richard Jenkins.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:23 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

see the visitor!!!

i haven't seen mongol, though :unsure:

Best Actress 2008

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

they're both very good. Mongol's more entertaining, this is better-acted.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

yayy for money for the visitor!! :D

I really hope it can keep afloat to pass $10m. It is in its 4th month of release after all. It should be at around $8.5m by end of this weekend.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:44 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Up AGAIN 20% from Mon-Tues and over 10% from last week! I really think there should be some kind of re-release, maybe in a couple of weeks once all the major summer blockbusters have been released. $10 million is definitely within reach!

So anybody else planning to see it soon? It was released in the UK last week. Andrew? ;) Remember, this is from the director of the equally good "The Station Agent."

Can't wait to hear back from you loyal! I hope you like it.

Best Actress 2008

Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

Rod wrote:
Up AGAIN 20% from Mon-Tues and over 10% from last week! I really think there should be some kind of re-release, maybe in a couple of weeks once all the major summer blockbusters have been released. $10 million is definitely within reach!

So anybody else planning to see it soon? It was released in the UK last week. Andrew? ;) Remember, this is from the director of the equally good "The Station Agent."

Can't wait to hear back from you loyal! I hope you like it.

It's coming to my local Indie theatre on 18th July, for one week only. In future please check here http://www.broadway.org.uk before telling me it's been released in the UK :P. 18th is Wall-e day so that one's out! I guess i could see it during the week, but then i do usually like to let a good ten months go by after a Rod recommendation before seeing a film...... :-k

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:16 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

It's actually playing for TWO weeks, so glad to see you're still incapable of counting!!

People who pass up the opportunity to see this gem have cooties :yes:

Best Actress 2008

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

On the listing pages it's one week http://www.broadway.org.uk/film%20times.php they really should make their minds up!

I'm already organising a posse, so you win this round :ninja:

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:32 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

:D have you seen the station agent, loyal?

also, what did you think of the performances. especially supporting ones since everyone seems to already love richard jenkins...i thought everyone was great all around though.

ok. so loyal, raffi, christian and i. we all can't be wrong!! help it increase at the box office yet again this weekend!! ;)

Best Actress 2008

Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Visitor as well and I'm hoping that Jenkins gets a much deserved Oscar nomination and possible win. It'll take a really strong performance by a big name actor in an Oscasr bait film to unseat him from front runner status in my book.
Somebody's going to see this in my neck of the woods as its been playing at a sister theatre of mine for almost 2 months now :) If I can string two days off in a row I'm going to have to see this again.

As far as the Band's Visit go's I say its a must see. Like Raffiki said it has that slow, dry humor that becomes ever more apparent as the film plays on. And the female lead is wonderful, she has a aura around her thats infectous which really tied the film together. If its still in theatres or on DVD definitley check this one out.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:19 pm
Lover of Bacon

Next tuesday night :thumbsup:

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:54 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Yay!

I'm really glad people are discovering it. It definitely deserves to be seen.

I might plan a night out to see this again as well. The first time I saw it the other two people i saw it with did...not like it! :disgust: Although in one case it was apparently because they could not sympathize with the characters due to political reasons :disgust: :disgust: We've had numerous arguments discussions since! :sweat:

Anyway, group get-togethers is a great way for it to make some more money! ;)

I don't know about a win for Richard Jenkins, but as I've said...I do believe him to be this year's Julie Christie. People who see his performance will not forget it come Oscar time. Still hoping it can get more than just actor, though. At least screenplay.

Best Actress 2008

Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Unlike Mongol, which blew me away, I was very disappointed by The Visitor. Here's my review from the "Everyone's A Critic" forum:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

This was quite good.

Nothing really special, except for the way the director didn't carry through the theme of drumming in the entire movie (which I would have liked to have seen), but instead handed off the story as if he were leaping from stepping stone to stepping stone in the deep swift river of human culture.

The acting was solid throughout, and even though I barely recognize the lead (Richard Jenkins (?!?)) from the previous movies that I've seen him in (19 by my estimate), he did a good job, as did the rest of the cast.

Compared to it's buzz - - this one's overrated...

3 out of 5.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:34 am
Extraordinary

Rod wrote:
The first time I saw it the other two people i saw it with did...not like it! :disgust: Although in one case it was apparently because they could not sympathize with the characters due to political reasons :disgust: :disgust: We've had numerous arguments discussions since! :sweat:

I wish I had listened to your friends...

...or The Village Voice reviewer:

Quote:
Jenkins isn't so lucky; one of the most resourceful character actors out there, he's been hemmed by McCarthy into a fussy, mannered performance in which everything is externalized—crippling grief in the first part, righteous indignation in the second.

McCarthy unquestionably means well, but he's made one of those incredibly naïve movies that gives liberals a bad name, and which does more to regress the sociopolitical discourse than advance it.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:00 am
Extra on the Ordinary

You heard it here first!!!

Bradley did not particularly like it. If that is not a sign of a great movie, then, my god...I really don't know what is!! ;)

Best Actress 2008

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

So it's up to roughly $8.6 million at the box office!! Not bad at all. I think it has a very good chance at $10 million now. No DVD release date has been set (it is expected to come out sometime in September) so it still has plenty of time to make more money.

Monday's numbers are out, and not only is it up from Monday last week, but also from Monday two weeks ago!

I just kinda word of mouth would've caught up to it this way at the peak of it's release.

What are your new plans with this movie after your blunder, Andrew? And waiting nine months is not an option ;)

Best Actress 2008

Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next