Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Stone Angel: 2 Oscar Ellen's Depressing Life Truth Tale! 
Extraordinary

Post Stone Angel: 2 Oscar Ellen's Depressing Life Truth Tale!
The Stone Angel is an old school CanLit classic that every high schooler had to read in order to graduate into adulthood back in the day. Of course, the movie is a bit modernized and a bit sexed up, but it's no where near as stark and depressing as the novel itself. It's the story of a life lived, viewed from the endpoint in all it's sordid and sad detail. Sure, ya see the brief euphoria of transient love, but the overall message is one of tragic doom, which we all certainly face as part of our human contract. Woohoo!

Ellen Burstyn, six time Oscar nominee and one time winner is the heart of this picture, and Ellen Page, one time Oscar nominee is only a small part of the whole, but their prescence illuminates this dark story of reality incarnate.

4 out of 5.

Thu May 29, 2008 12:25 am
All Star Poster

Post Re: Stone Angel: 2 Oscar Ellen's Depressing Life Truth Tale!
You're Canadian as well Bradley? I had to read this when I was in OAC (Grade 13). I want to see it with a friend only because we made fun of this novel so much in high school. Did they keep the same ending as the novel with the tipping of the vase? I hope they did. I remember my teacher going on about the symbolism of that action.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:22 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: Stone Angel: 2 Oscar Ellen's Depressing Life Truth Tale!
Didn't care much for this one. There were some great moments, but overall it's really uneven and amateurish. It feels overlong, and yet events seemed rushed. I guess it's a good thing they were because the movie was long enough the way it was. It's a little too corny for me, and it feels like THE NOTEBOOK 2, but not as good. Also, I don't blame them for putting Ellen Page on the DVD art to try and sell the movie, but she's probably in it for around 2 minutes total and it's not until late into the movie.

For the most part, this one left a bad taste in my mouth, and it's not one I'd ever want to watch again.

5/10 ( C )

Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]