Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ne le dis à personne / Tell No One 
The Wall

Post Ne le dis à personne / Tell No One

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362225/

Plot: The pediatrician Alexandre Beck misses his beloved wife Margot Beck, who was brutally murdered eight years ago. When two bodies are found near where the corpse of Margot was dumped, the police reopen the case and Alex becomes suspect again. The mystery increases when Alex receives an e-mail with a link to a video-surveillance web-cam and a time at which to watch it...

Has anyone seen this movie??? If not I urge to to watch it. One of the better crime/mystery/thrillers in recent years...

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Us v Them

Post Re: Ne le dis à personne / Tell No One
THe french title and the poster are great. I'm interested in watching this.

Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:31 pm
The Wall

It's a great movie. You should definitely go and see it.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:19 am
Profile WWW
Us v Them

Does anyone if this has come out in Germany/Austria yet?
I couldn't find anything about it.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:02 pm
The Wall

Considering this part of the board has been a little more active than before I'm bumping this up. Check this movie out peeps. It's a great thriller/mystery (some plot points are farfetched, but still it works). :yes:

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This looks really fun, actually. But its not available here yet be.redy (at least not on netflix) so you will probably have to periodically check when its avilable and rebump this thread from time to time. Until then, I have it 'saved' for when it comes out, but who knows when that will be. I will check a local video rental store too, just in case.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:38 pm
The Wall

It played in theaters in my country, so it's hard to imagine it didn't get or won't get a limited run in the US. :huh:

Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Ahhhhh - IMDB says:

USA 2 July 2008 (limited)

Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Very limited. Its not even playing anywhere in the Greater Boston area right now that I could find. Boston isn't exactly the boonies.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:46 pm
The Wall

According to BOM it plays in 8 theaters - it had a good average of 21 000 dollars last weekend. It will probably get a wider release. I'm keeping my fingers crossed a theater near you gets it. :thumbsup:

Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I found out it will only reach here on August 1st, where it will play in only one theatre. This is going to be like one of those super-lousy Bad Education runs, where the release is totally mismanaged, sigh. Should be a good summer thriller though, so I will check it out and let you know what I thought. And I'm not too worried about some of the 'stretches' in the plot, I liked Crimson Rivers for goodness sakes. Thrillers are always more about how intensity is built and maintained, and how effectivly the movie helps you in suspending your disbelief.

The official website http://www.tellnoonemovie.com/ has the release schedule and theatre locations.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:04 pm
The Wall

Comparing to Crimson Rivers, this one is totally believable. It was totally believable to me, but I realize some people might not be OK with some plot points (there are some too convenient to happen things, which I usually don't like, but they're handled really good here), so I gave a little heads up.

The official site for the US release is great. I find it much better than some of the blockbuster movie ones. :yes:

Also better a lousy one, than no theatrical run I say.

At least your translation of the title is normal. They totally screwed the ending in our translation. But it was still a great thriller/mystery throughout.

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Oh, cool! I noticed this was opening up in Berkeley this weekend before I saw this thread. The recommendation is good enough to sell me - I'll go see it this weekend. :thumbsup:

On a completely unrelated note, I'm seeing la dolce vita this week on the big screen. scooooore. :twisted:

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:46 pm
The Wall

I don't really get the performances of the movies in limited release. Is this good?

19 23 Tell No One MBox $241,000 +42.0% 18 +10 $13,388 $542,000 - 2

The good thing for the distributor is that it's their highest grossing movie and it's been out only for two weeks and it seems like they plan to give it a bit more wide release (according to the plan on the movie's site). Maybe they will decide to give it a bigger push.

1 Tell No One MBox $542,000 7/2/08
2 OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies MBox $243,909 5/9/08
3 Tuya's Marriage MBox $41,106 4/4/08

(I wanted to see Tuya's Marriage, it played here a few months ago, but I was buried with college stuff, so I didn't have free time to see it. And it played in stupid hours too.)

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I saw this last week.

REALLY great film. I liked it alot. One of the best of the year so far. I recommend it to anyone.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:43 pm
The Wall

:thumbsup:

I'm glad you liked it.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

The lead actor was very good.

and I :heart: Kristen Scott Thomas!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:43 pm
The Wall

No one mentioned it in the BO section but the movie had a pretty great run. It's by far Music Box Films' highest grossing movie:

1 Tell No One $6,024,900
2 OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies $303,543
3 Tuya's Marriage $88,148
4 La Leon $1,708

It's currently the highest grossing foreign film released this year in the US (it beat out Academy Award winner Die Fälscher aka The Counterfeiters and Academy Award nominee Mongol). Overall it's the 39th highest grossing foreign film ever (and just maybe it can jump a spot up - seems unlikely but with holidays approaching it might stick long enough to make it).

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:07 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I don't know what movie y'all watched, but this dumb, silly piece of shit is howlingly stupid from start to finish.

What movie did the "With or Without You" music cue/close up of cute dog's face come from? On the bright side, it certainly was funny.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:14 pm
The Wall

I can definitely see why you didn't like the movie. I mentioned that some things might be too farfetched and too convenient (even too dumb), but I myself enjoyed the movie. Usually I don't like things like that, but it didn't bother me here.

I guess you're in a minority too, judging by the critics reception and general audience grades on various movie sites.

Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

be.redy wrote:
I can definitely see why you didn't like the movie. I mentioned that some things might be too farfetched and too convenient (even too dumb), but I myself enjoyed the movie. Usually I don't like things like that, but it didn't bother me here.

I guess you're in a minority too, judging by the critics reception and general audience grades on various movie sites.

This is what I can't understand about all this. People can enjoy dumb, silly things (which, above, you freely admit this movie is). But why on earth would everyone froth at the mouth over this particular flavor of stupid?

If this were in English, noone would have given it a second thought, outside of the admittedly well-constructed chase scene in the middle section.

Speaking of the chase scene, how does he finally evade capture? Thanks to an assist from the charming, friendly gangbangers he'd befriended and helped earlier in the movie. Hollywood couldn't have done it any dumber if they'd tried.

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:38 pm
The Wall

I get you, but for me everything here works. Why? I couldn't give you a definitive reason, it just does. And it's not because it's a French movie. I find most of the new French movies pretty stupid.

I enjoyed the movie immensely that the plot was really in the background for me when I was deciding on the grade.

I don't get all the love one of the crapfests of the year Speed Racer gets here, but it doesn't bother me. My satisfaction will come when (here at WOKJ already largely dissed) DragonBall grosses more than Speed Racer. Maybe you should find something like that to get your satisfaction about Tell No One. :thumbsup:

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
Lover of Bacon

How did Dragonball and Speed Racer get in this thread??!

I may watch this later to see which side of the fence i sit on.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:50 am
Lover of Bacon

Well i definitely sit on yohue's side of the fence. It wasn't amazingly bad, but as the plot unravelled the whole thing kind of came apart with it.

The chase scene was a highlight, but what was with the strangely calm music during the whole thing? it was more than a little disconcerting and ruined any idea of tension the film was trying to build. By the end it felt like it was trying far too hard to have a twisty ending. It did pass a couple of hours quite nicely, but i don't think i'd recommend it to anyone.

I suspect its appeal lies in its 'foreign language' status and not in its quality.

I'd give it a C+

Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:09 pm
You must have big rats

Terrific thriller. And I certainly don't say that because it is French.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next