Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Bollywood Bigtime!!! (Dhoom 2 and Beyond...) 
Extraordinary

Post Bollywood Bigtime!!! (Dhoom 2 and Beyond...)
Dhoom 2 is a high quality, bigtime Bollywood action movie. And though I don't see too many Bollywood films, I was in the mood today and it's playing on a big screen at my local Googolplex.

All's I can say is -- Wow! The production values have really skyrocketed as Bollywood clearly is competing with Hollywood product. The film itself is plenty of fun, with the usual infectious dance numbers which seem even more amped out than I usual, and some big time international heist action sequences. The two main leads, Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai are ridiculously beautiful human beings. And Uday Chopra is great as the comic sidekick.

This is a great accesible Bollywood film for the movie fan who wants to dip their toe in the vast sea of film that is Bollywood.

5 out of 5.

Check out the D:2 trailer:

<object><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d85GsvjWIJA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:04 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

What is it like some super-hero musical movie?

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:31 pm
Teh Mexican

judging by that trailer, it looks absolutely ridiculous and dumb...

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:31 pm
Wall-E

The movie has a lot of HOT people.

The girls are just freakin sizzling.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Oh jesus it's like Bollywood Mission:Impossible.

I totally have to see it.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

judging by that trailer, it looks absolutely ridiculous and dumb...

Errrr... isn't that kinda the idea for this kinda movie, be it made in Bollywood or Hollywood?

Dhoom 2 is super entertaining, has beautiful stars, and world class production values. It can be easy to dismiss films like this, just because they're made in India -- I do it myself, 51 weeks out of the year. But when one comes along that is accessible as this one -- 25% of the dialogue is even in English, for goodness sakes -- not to mention an extensive location shoot on the bikini-laden beaches of Rio de Janeiro -- well then I say: Let's give it the same break we do on being "ridiculous and dumb" that we do to Hollywood product.

Welcome to world class popcorn movies!

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:06 am
htm

Oh jesus it's like Bollywood Mission:Impossible.

I totally have to see it.

Haha, they are fun!

We have a huge Indian population here so we show Hindi movies in our theatres several times a week... I caught Pokiri and Fanaah while I was working full time during the summer on my breaks (I ended up seeing every movie that played.... blah)...

They were mediocre but watchable.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:32 pm
Veteran

It is amazing so many of you have seen a bollywood movie. I have not one since 1989.

Bollywood has progressed technically. But the storylines are mostly lifted (illegally) from hollywood movies. I heard that Dhoom 2 is a patchwork of several hollywood movies including Mission Impossible.

The movie has grossed Rs. 170 Crores ($38M) in India. It is just a matter of time before these movies start making $100M+ just in India.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
htm

There is no doubt a huge audience for them. I mean, we fill up 400 seaters on slow weekends showing them. I'm not sure if the numbers are officially included in any grosses because it's all done... under the table... :unsure:

We do have lots of Indians fight over seats. Quite fun.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:46 pm
Veteran

There is no doubt a huge audience for them. I mean, we fill up 400 seaters on slow weekends showing them. I'm not sure if the numbers are officially included in any grosses because it's all done... under the table... :unsure:

We do have lots of Indians fight over seats. Quite fun.

That is the true Indian way. ;)

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:46 pm
Extraordinary

I'm sure the numbers from your theatre are counted, Zach.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/cha ... oreign.htm

Dhoom is doing exceptionally well in its domestic run; 86th on the all-time already. Looks to be the third highest grosser from India on the charts.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:00 pm
htm

Dhoom is doing exceptionally well in its domestic run; 86th on the all-time already. Looks to be the third highest grosser from India on the charts.

Well, the last movie we officially advertised was Fanaah, which was months ago. May. Since then, we don't publish times, we let an independent man sell tickets, and we don't report that business to EDI. I report grosses all the time and I've never, ever been told to call it in. Perhaps this guy does it on his own? I know he leases/buys the print.... perhaps he has some sort of independent contract?

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:27 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

dolcevita wrote:

Well, the last movie we officially advertised was Fanaah, which was months ago. May. Since then, we don't publish times, we let an independent man sell tickets, and we don't report that business to EDI. I report grosses all the time and I've never, ever been told to call it in. Perhaps this guy does it on his own? I know he leases/buys the print.... perhaps he has some sort of independent contract?

He must. The studio still gets the money I'm sure.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:30 am
Veteran

zennier is right. The gross reported for bollywood movies is suspect. Most of the times, there is a local distributor who buys the movie from the main distributor for a fee. The main distributor reports the fee.

It all depends if there is a middle man. But they seem to be better organized in the bigger cities. But the smaller cities and college towns are usually sold for a fee.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's a wonder there's any BO receipts to count, with the huge # of pirate DVD's of these movies that surface sometimes even before the movie's released. Some Indian families seem to pass them around to every sister and cousin...

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:55 am
invading your spaces

I just asked my friend in Hyderabad about Dhoom:2

He says it sucks and recommended some other movies to me instead.

He says the best parts are all in the trailer.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:03 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I respectfully disagree with your friend about D:2 (though I'm sure there are many other good movies to recommend too). I find that amongst my Indian friends, many of the most popular Bollywood films are way to heavy on the complicated romances. The beauty of D:2 for a average Hollywood guy like me, was that it was way bigger on the high gloss action than most of the other Bollywood films I've seen...

The most important thing, imho, is whatever Bollywood film you choose to sample, to see it as they're meant to be seen -- on the big screen!

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:39 am
Veteran

It's a wonder there's any BO receipts to count, with the huge # of pirate DVD's of these movies that surface sometimes even before the movie's released. Some Indian families seem to pass them around to every sister and cousin...

That is very true. These movies are doing well despite rampant piracy.

Unfortunately, almost all bollywood stars are eye candy and have very little talent. Most of them can't act even if their lives depended on it.

But Indian movies are more than just Bollywood which are made in Hindi. Non-Bollywood Indian movies are made in Telugu, Kannada, Tamil and Malayalam. Pokiri (zennier watched it) is not a bollywood movie. It is a Telugu movie.

@ zennier: I hear that Pokiri is loosely based on Infernal Affairs. Is it true?

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

Post Re: Dhoom 2 - Bollywood Bigtime!!!
Dhoom 2 is horrible but Dhoom is freaking awesome. See DHoom no Dhoom 2 it was sad. And the whole basis of Dhoom was motorcycles while DHoom 2 was nothing except one chase.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:01 pm
Forum General

Jedi Master 007 wrote:
Dhoom 2 is horrible but Dhoom is freaking awesome. See DHoom no Dhoom 2 it was sad. And the whole basis of Dhoom was motorcycles while DHoom 2 was nothing except one chase.

I agree DHOOM was awesome but DHOOM 2 has hot chicks and sleazy love story.

For some odd reason D2 became a massive blockbuster.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re:
andaroo wrote:

I could give you the link of the movie if you want?

hell i could give you link of the remake DON.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re:
jb007 wrote:
bradley witherberry wrote:

That is very true. These movies are doing well despite rampant piracy.

Unfortunately, almost all bollywood stars are eye candy and have very little talent. Most of them can't act even if their lives depended on it.

But Indian movies are more than just Bollywood which are made in Hindi. Non-Bollywood Indian movies are made in Telugu, Kannada, Tamil and Malayalam. Pokiri (zennier watched it) is not a bollywood movie. It is a Telugu movie.

@ zennier: I hear that Pokiri is loosely based on Infernal Affairs. Is it true?

yep it is kinda.

And now they are doing a hindi aka bollywood version which will star Salman Khan.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

my local cinema (24 screens) usually plays the bigger Bollywood titles, and they always put them in the larger theatres. so very much an audience for them if they're giving them the full Dolby DIgital experience.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:29 am
Forum General

Magnus wrote:
Dhoom 2 is the epitome of how shitty Bollywood films have become. Bollywood had a golden age during the 90s which is now lost. Bollywood is trying to become like Hollywood. They are trying to produce two kind of films: "Popcorn fun" and "serious." Problem is that they fail are doing both. And the biggest problem is the how bad the songs are. I mean....they are even worse than some of the shit heard here in America.

Bollywood needs to go back to the formula they had in the 90s. Things were much better then.

I highly disagree. The songs nowadays are much cooler and more entertaining.

If anything lollywood (pakistan) is ripping off bollywood music and movies like crazy and they suck royally in doing that.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next