Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 1st Annual Foreign Film Festival! STARTS TODAY! ENJOY! 
Extraordinary

Post 1st Annual Foreign Film Festival! STARTS TODAY! ENJOY!
La lingua della Cinema e Universale!

Coming next week we're going to kick off the pleasure of having this forum, dedicated purely to foreign films.

I am currently looking to host a weeklong foreign film-a-thon, in which several people will host discussions about the cinema of a respective country.

If you would like to host:
Please leave a message in this thread so that we do not have duplicate threads generated. If more than one person is interested in the same country, host one thread together. This will be useful in the martial arts festival I am sure.

Once you have designated a country, open up your own thread titled (ex) Make_shift wings and Terminator host the Italian Horror Film Festival.
For your intorductory message, please list all films of this genre you have seen. This will give other posters an opportunity to know what is out there, and to learn a little bit about the hosts.

If you want to participate:
Sign up under your country thread. You are not required to watch a movie everyday. That could get tricky. We will kick off the festival not this weekend, but the following one, in order to allow time to locate some films from rental store/on line, whatever. You may pick one that has been listed by a host in order to ensure the host may converse with you, but you can also pick any film you want and/or like, and also suggest it to the host. Hosts will try to watch a few of the recommendations as time allows.

Let the Festival Begin!

p.s. xia, thanks for mentioning us over at the meter, hope you join in the fun?

Last edited by dolcevita on Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:20 pm
Extraordinary

I could host Chinese films. I could focus on productions from mainland China, which will include big name directors such as Zhang Yimou and Chen Kaige(Farewell My Concubine, Together) as well as films from the so-called 6th generation film directors. I also could do Chinese speaking films in general, which will include Taiwan and HongKong and maybe Singapore(haven't seen one from there yet), and that widens the scope to directors like Wong Kar-Wai, Ang Lee, Hark Tsui, John Woo, and host of others that are well known locally instead of internationally.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

I'll host the Spanish Film Festival Thread.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:07 pm
rustiphica

Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:00 pm
Teenage Dream

I'll have my thread up sometime tonight, dolce.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:11 pm
Extraordinary

Does canadian count? :lol:

Can you do that horrible film, Exotica, where the girl strips to Leonard Cohen in the beginning. My friends got it for me because they know I have a little thing for LC and would perform a strip to him any day. But I was the first ten minutes of the films and her performance was so dissappointing I barely got through to the half hour mark before I just shut it down.

If you want to Rusty, go right ahead, I think it would be an excellent idea.

Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:19 pm
George A. Romero

well, i'll do my part and watch plenty of italian horror ;)

Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:21 pm
Veteran

Ok. I'm in as the sole rep from the land(s) Down Under at the mo'!

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

I'm sorry guys, but it's gonna have to wait until tomorrow. I'll have the entire afternoon to work on it then. Again, I apologize, but i'm dead tired.

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:02 am
George A. Romero

I'm sorry guys, but it's gonna have to wait until tomorrow. I'll have the entire afternoon to work on it then. Again, I apologize, but i'm dead tired.

hehe, awesome pun

Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:43 pm
New Server, Same X

Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:30 am
Forum General

I will do anything I can to help Dolce...If possible I would Like to choose America?

Can you explain what exactly I must do to participate again :oops:

Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:51 pm
Extraordinary

Tricky one LMR. This is foreign film festival, so unless you're well versed in country within a country (I.e. Indigenous Film) than that could tough. I can only think of about 3 Native American Movies. Do you know another country's films well? If not, don't worry about hosting...be a participant. After threads from hosts start going up, people need to "sign on" to the country they are interested in. So go to the country you like, post a reply saying you'll engage in that country's festival for the week (+2 weekends), and then watch a couple of the either suggested movies or otherones you find. Then come to that thread and discuss with the host and others what you thought of the movie. Sound good?

-Dolce

Last edited by dolcevita on Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:56 pm
rustiphica

I'll co-host with Rusty. :)

you start it up and I'll go with the flow. I'm a little confused as it is.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:20 pm
Forum General

Tricky one MMR. This is foreign film festival, so unless you're well versed in country within a country (I.e. Indigenous Film) than that could tough. I can only think of about 3 Native American Movies. Do you know another country's films well? If not, don't worry about hosting...be a participant. After threads from hosts start going up, people need to "sign on" to the country they are interested in. So go to the country you like, post a reply saying you'll engage in that country's festival for the week (+2 weekends), and then watch a couple of the either suggested movies or otherones you find. Then come to that thread and discuss with the host and others what you thought of the movie. Sound good?

-Dolce

MMR...Is that me?

Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:23 pm
College Boy T

Can we get a show of hands as to who's going to participate?

Styles/Countries:
Canadian Film
Spanish Film
Italian Film
Asian Film
Italian Horror

Remember, you need to pick a style and watch two films that correspond to that style. The films can be found at your local library or the video store. And, perhaps on your tv ;).

Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:05 pm
Extraordinary

Mr. X wrote:
I'll co-host with Rusty. :)

you start it up and I'll go with the flow. I'm a little confused as it is.

Feel free to ask me any questions guys, just get the thread up asap. Basically, just start a thread saying you two are hosting the canadian film festival. then, list all the local canadian movies you've seen, and give any other info about yourselfs or topics you would like to discuss, etc. Just take a peek at mine and torri's thread and imitate them. Then, through out the week, come to the thread and talk about the movies participants watch, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, here is the flyer if you want to ask to put a few in your local video store or library. It went through several conversions so might be a little fuzzy, but oh well. lol. Let me know what you guys think.

You can download it off of the site and print a couple out to distribute. I'm going to post it as well in the Film Festival thread.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v493/dlce ... =Flyer.jpg

There's a little *treat* in the montage for Makeshift.

Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:09 pm
rustiphica

I'll have to find some canadian movies out there :? I know I've got Men With Brooms down but something else...

Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:15 pm
Extraordinary

Italian Film - dolcevita
Spanish Film - torrino
Chinese Film - Xiayun (Zingy co-host?)
Down Under Film - Miruvar and Archangel co-host
Canadian Film - Rusty and Mr. X co-host
Italian Horror - Makeshift_wings (Terminator co-host?)

Please have your threads up by tomorrow. Look at my and torrino's threads as examples. Pm me with any questions. If you are stepping down, please let me know so I don't harass you for a thread. But I would be very sad if people stepped down, because its not particularly hard, and I want this to go well. :(

Am still looking for:
French Film
German and/or Northern Europe Film
Scandanavia Film (Think Bergman guys)
Middle East (or 1 country in the M.E)
Russian Film
Japanese Film
Brazilian/Portugal Film
African Continental Film if possible, since I don't think there is enough distribution from any one single country. If there is, go right ahead.

Please sign up to host a thread if you are even mildly familiar with any of the above. You don;t need to know that much, just be willing to keep discussion going in that thread throughout the 10 day festival.

PLEASE?
:(

Also, start recruiting friends and internet compatriots to be participants of the threads. They just get to watch a movie or two or three or more from the country and come to the thread to discuss it. I've also posted a flyer above that you can download and printout and ask to leave with your local video rental place or library.

-Dolce

Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:35 pm
Forum General

Tricky one LMR. This is foreign film festival, so unless you're well versed in country within a country (I.e. Indigenous Film) than that could tough. I can only think of about 3 Native American Movies. Do you know another country's films well? If not, don't worry about hosting...be a participant. After threads from hosts start going up, people need to "sign on" to the country they are interested in. So go to the country you like, post a reply saying you'll engage in that country's festival for the week (+2 weekends), and then watch a couple of the either suggested movies or otherones you find. Then come to that thread and discuss with the host and others what you thought of the movie. Sound good?

-Dolce

Anything to help you :D

Sounds good

Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:02 am
Forum General

OK dolce...I feel VERY ignorant for asking this...but since im not actually doing a "country" persay...Can you explain better what I need to do to help? DO I need to watch certain movies??

So sorry for bein so dumb :oops:

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:00 am
Extraordinary

No prob babe. For you, I would read the entire screenplay for 1900.

Just cruise all the threads other hosts are setting up. Once you;ve decided which country you're interested in, post on that thread that you want to join that festival. See how the threads have partcipants already? Just say which one you want to participate in, and then during the festival try to watch multiple (at least 2, unless time constraints) movies and go to that particular thread to discuss them when you're done. There will be a couple more host threadspopping up soon, but for now, you can run around the *pre-party* parts of the threads and ask questions, etc, to help you figure out which country you want to join for the festival.

I think a couple people might pop in betwene threads to help out too, but no need for everyone to do that unless you want to see multiple movies from multiple countries.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:07 am
You must have big rats

I can't decide between hosting Germany and Asian horror...give me a little more time to think...

Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

I can't decide between hosting Germany and Asian horror...give me a little more time to think...

Asian horror would be great, Lecter.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:10 pm
Extraordinary

I would say German since two horror threads might detract from each other...but that's just me because I'm too much of a wimp to watch more than one horror movie in a year.

lol

-Dolce

Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next