Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Woody Allen's Match Point 
You must have big rats

Post Woody Allen's Match Point
Okay, is anyone else excited about this movie besides me? This is actually the first Woody Allen movie ever that I am actually looking forward to quite a bit and unlike dozens of people here, I am not even a big Scarlett Johansson. It's just that the movie looks so well-done and intriguing. I must say that just like the domestic trailer, the movie reminds me a bit of last year's Closer, a movie that I loved and thought was the most underrated flick of 2004.

So, yeah, this thread is for anticipation and the news on this upcoming flick.

Here is the IMDB site and its current score is VERY encouraging:

Click here for the Domestic Trailer

Click here for the International Trailer

Anyone else looking forward to the flick?

Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Post Re: Woody Allen's Match Point
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Okay, is anyone else excited about this movie besides me? This is actually the first Woody Allen movie ever that I am actually looking forward to quite a bit and unlike dozens of people here, I am not even a big Scarlett Johansson. It's just that the movie looks so well-done and intriguing. I must say that just like the domestic trailer, the movie reminds me a bit of last year's Closer, a movie that I loved and thought was the most underrated flick of 2004.

So, yeah, this thread is for anticipation and the news on this upcoming flick.

Here is the IMDB site and its current score is VERY encouraging:

Click here for the Domestic Trailer

Click here for the International Trailer

Anyone else looking forward to the flick? I would say YES as there has been lots fo activity in the 2 other Match Point threads. I will summarize for you. Most people say they are looking forward to this Woody Allen movie. Plus with an nice meaty role for Scarlett J. Anyway, most important, I am looking forward to this movie. hehehe

Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I don't know. I'm having trouble motivating for this after Melinda & Melinda. That movie was sitting at 100% in early reviews but opened barely fresh, everyone thought it would be his next big movie, but it wasn't that big a financial success. I loved the cast, but was underwhelmed by their performances and the plot. So, really, I know I'll go out and see this because even M&M was still decent, but I'm not expecting anymore in the way of Allen magnum opi.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:03 pm
College Boy Z

I'm not a fan of Woody Allen at all, but Match Point looks great.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:06 pm
Lover of Bacon

I'll be there when its released on 6th January, i'm really anticipating this one. I'm not a huge Scarlett fan but it still looks great.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:29 pm
Draughty

Looks boring, the trailer would have gotten no interest other than it telegraphed the surprise ending so now the movie will be spoiled for most who saw that.

The lead guy just doesn't have leading man gravitas, he is too unmemorable. And the leading woman seemed so shallow and airheaded I couldn't care what happened to her. Fatal Attraction meets Closer? Could be.

Just my impressions, maybe it will look better later with new ads. Thanks for making the thread though, I am glad I saw that trailer, might not have otherwise.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Looks boring, the trailer would have gotten no interest other than it telegraphed the surprise ending so now the movie will be spoiled for most who saw that.

The lead guy just doesn't have leading man gravitas, he is too unmemorable. And the leading woman seemed so shallow and airheaded I couldn't care what happened to her. Fatal Attraction meets Closer? Could be.

Just my impressions, maybe it will look better later with new ads. Thanks for making the thread though, I am glad I saw that trailer, might not have otherwise.

that is what I thought > and could they have casted for someone alittle different than a Jude Law clone / wannabe.

But I still want to see it if th ereviews are good.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Closer meets Fatal Attraction was the first thing I thought when I saw the trailer. But both are good movies, so why not?

Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Closer was mediocre, and thoroughly unprofound unless its to illustrate how manipulative (in a smart way) a young 20 year old American woman can be. The thing is, Allen pretty much explores two things in his newest movies: the bumbling luckyman, and the existential relationship.

The problem with Melinda & Melinda is that he really took the relationship and split it into one tragedy, and one comedy, but not a tragicomedy...if that makes sense? He followed the depressed Meinda until she was so depressed that she would never be able to help herself, and he followed the happy Melinda, who kept being go-lucky and happy. And the two stories didn't speak to eachother, so I wonder why he even cast the same lead to represent them both. If Allen can't bring something new to the table except for that some relationships flounder whilst others don't..everyone is angsty...everyone has insight...everyone can be manipulative...than you're better off watching Hannah and Her Sisters. Now that was a good film.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:38 pm
Extraordinary

Woody is going to have to do a lot to recapture me. I keep giving him second chances and I keep getting disappointed by his films.

I was one of his biggest fans in te 70s, and remember going to the theatre to see Annie Hall and walking out going "That was great!", never imagining that it would later that year win Best Picture. There have been a few great films since then but a whole lot of really forgettable ones.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Closer was mediocre, and thoroughly unprofound unless its to illustrate how manipulative (in a smart way) a young 20 year old American woman can be. The thing is, Allen pretty much explores two things in his newest movies: the bumbling luckyman, and the existential relationship.

The problem with Melinda & Melinda is that he really took the relationship and split it into one tragedy, and one comedy, but not a tragicomedy...if that makes sense? He followed the depressed Meinda until she was so depressed that she would never be able to help herself, and he followed the happy Melinda, who kept being go-lucky and happy. And the two stories didn't speak to eachother, so I wonder why he even cast the same lead to represent them both. If Allen can't bring something new to the table except for that some relationships flounder whilst others don't..everyone is angsty...everyone has insight...everyone can be manipulative...than you're better off watching Hannah and Her Sisters. Now that was a good film.

I would have like to have seen the exact same cast, same events, same timeframe - and then one half told as tragedy, the other half as comedy - I bet he could have pulled it off. As it was, it was pretty good, certainly "his best in years"...

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:24 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

There have been a few great films since then but a whole lot of really forgettable ones.

Ah! Come on! Since Annie Hall:
Zelig
Crimes & Misdeameanors
Hannah & Her Sisters
Purple Rose of Cairo
Bullets Over Broadway
Manhattan
(I also think Everyone Says I Love You is a great film, but I won't list that as I know I'm pretty alone out on that)
And a whole bunch of others that, if not 'great' are awfully wonderful.

I agree with everyone's criticisms of Melinda & Melinda. I liked it quite a bit when I first saw it, but....yeah, its just not very good. Anything Else was a better movie, and that's just a remake of Annie Hall.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:02 pm
Extraordinary

Groucho wrote:
There have been a few great films since then but a whole lot of really forgettable ones.

Zelig
Crimes & Misdeameanors
Hannah & Her Sisters
Purple Rose of Cairo
Bullets Over Broadway
Manhattan

Yes! Those are the ones. (And I even liked Small Time Crooks, too.) When you consider he makes a film a year, those are the "few".

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

(I also think Everyone Says I Love You is a great film, but I won't list that as I know I'm pretty alone out on that)

Indeed, I would say you are (hopefully) alone on that. I disliked that movie big time. :biggrin:

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Groucho wrote:

Zelig
Crimes & Misdeameanors
Hannah & Her Sisters
Purple Rose of Cairo
Bullets Over Broadway
Manhattan

I agree with everyone's criticisms of Melinda & Melinda. I liked it quite a bit when I first saw it, but....yeah, its just not very good. Anything Else was a better movie, and that's just a remake of Annie Hall.

Definitely not, that's one of my favorite movies.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:31 pm
Sbil

yoshue wrote:

Indeed, I would say you are (hopefully) alone on that. I disliked that movie big time. :biggrin:

Why are you hoping he's alone on that? Because you didn't like the film means your way is the right way?

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:32 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
yoshue wrote:

Why are you hoping he's alone on that? Because you didn't like the film means your way is the right way?

No. Actually I forst just wrote "alone", but then remembered that you liked it, but wasn't sure, so I added hopefully. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I am just glad when others share mine and mine is that the movie is really bad.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I would have like to have seen the exact same cast, same events, same timeframe - and then one half told as tragedy, the other half as comedy - I bet he could have pulled it off. As it was, it was pretty good, certainly "his best in years"...

Yeah. I thought that with the same "Melinda" having the same persona and a similar situation, but the nuances make one turn out tragic and the other comic. or something along those lines. There wasn't really a connection between the two stories except for "A woman shows up at the door one night." Would have been nice to see more play with parallel and divergent situations. I was not all that impressed, but it was better since every movie since Mighty Aphrodite, which I thought was quite nicely. That and Bullets Over Broadway are his two "recent" ones a like. Small Time Crooks was mediocre at best. Cute, but not really new, impressive, reminded me of all the italian heist comedies and not much more.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:53 pm
Forum General

yoshue wrote:
Groucho wrote:

Zelig
Crimes & Misdeameanors
Hannah & Her Sisters
Purple Rose of Cairo
Bullets Over Broadway
Manhattan

Yes! Those are the ones. (And I even liked Small Time Crooks, too.) When you consider he makes a film a year, those are the "few".

Woody Allen's Director ratings from IMDB.

(8.30) - Annie Hall (1977)
(8.10) - Manhattan (1979)
(7.91) - Match Point (2005) > 400 early replies so far
(7.89) - Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
(7.80) - Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
(7.59) - Zelig (1983)
(7.59) - Love and Death (1975)
(7.50) - The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
(7.49) - Husbands and Wives (1992)
(7.40) - Sleeper (1973)
(7.40) - Radio Days (1987)
(7.40) - Bullets Over Broadway (1994)
(7.30) - Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993)
(7.30) - Broadway Danny Rose (1984)
(7.30) - Take the Money and Run (1969)
(7.30) - Sweet and Lowdown (1999)
(7.29) - Another Woman (1988)
(7.20) - Interiors (1978)
(7.20) - Deconstructing Harry (1997)
(7.10) - Bananas (1971)
(7.00) - Mighty Aphrodite (1995)
(6.90) - Stardust Memories (1980)
(6.90) - Everyone Says I Love You (1996)
(6.90) - The Curse of the Jade Scorpion (2001)
(6.80) - Melinda and Melinda (2004)
(6.70) - Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask (1972)
(6.51) - Alice (1990)
(6.50) - Small Time Crooks (2000)
(6.42) - The Concert for New York City (2001) (TV)
(6.41) - Anything Else (2003)
(6.32) - What's Up, Tiger Lily? (1966)
(6.31) - Shadows and Fog (1992)
(6.31) - Hollywood Ending (2002)
(6.31) - A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (1982)
(6.29) - Don't Drink the Water (1994) (TV)
(6.21) - Celebrity (1998)
(6.21) - New York Stories (1989)
(6.14) - September (1987)

Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Well, I'd say that bodes pretty well for Match Point. I know that it's early, but it at least indicates that it will stay above 7.0 most likely which would be better than all Allen flicks since Sweet and Lowdown (which garnered some Oscar noms).

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, I'd say that bodes pretty well for Match Point. I know that it's early, but it at least indicates that it will stay above 7.0 most likely which would be better than all Allen flicks since Sweet and Lowdown (which garnered some Oscar noms).

Most of Sweet & Lowdown was acting noms (3) including the breakthrough performance of Samantha Morton, I believe. But it's underrated. I forgot about it (hence the proof its often overlooked) but it is one of Allen's best recent films. It's actually quite good, but I don't know hom much of it was really Emet (sp?) or Alllen's interpretation of him. I did here Allen talking about how he was raised listening to this music, so the nostalgia element was evident. I actually liked hoe the movie fluctuated between sympathy and ridicule of the musician. Should have been more popular than it was, imo.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:49 am
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:

Yeah. I thought that with the same "Melinda" having the same persona and a similar situation, but the nuances make one turn out tragic and the other comic. or something along those lines. There wasn't really a connection between the two stories except for "A woman shows up at the door one night." Would have been nice to see more play with parallel and divergent situations.

It could have been a brilliant take on the razor thin knife edge that separates tragedy and comedy...

Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:59 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Haha my EXACT thought when I saw the trailer.

It looks a little on the melodramatic side, but in a really good way. Can't wait. And Woody Allen doesn't star. :P

Best Actress 2008

Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

With 612 votes it's still at 8.0/10

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10005366-match_point/

five reviews, 100% Fresh with the average rating of 8/10

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:19 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

8.0/10 with 720 votes. That is more reliable already.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10005366-match_point/

Six reviews, still 100% fresh and the Average Rating is 8.2/10

There is a small chance that we got a Best Picture contender on our hands.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next