Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Woody Allen's Match Point 
You must have big rats

Looks-wise, Johansson was the highlight (same with The Island - when she wasn't on screen, I fell right asleep...you know that, I worried about my head accidently touching your shoulder). I think she's been a little Hollywood-ized, though. Lost in Translation, she was very striking, yet looked more natural...kinda.

The Washington Post wrote:
But in "Match Point," she has clearly evolved into an authentic star. She is, quite simply, a bombshelle, and not just because she's curvier than a tightly zipped bag of tennis balls. She has a presence that is, at times, pure Marilyn (there, I said it). It's no stretch to imagine Chris Wilton casting caution to the winds - or contemplating doing so - for a few stolen moments with her.

Old fat movie reviewers agree with me. Suck on that, Lecter!

BTW, it's easier for Match Point, obviously, to make the top five better original screenplays list, since there's less movies elligible. But, would you put it in the top five screenplays, period?

Yes, I would too. I would say it is one of the five best screenplays of the year and I would also call it the 2nd best original screenplay of the year (behind Kiss Kiss Bang Bang).

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Do I get a response to the schtick about character development? :lol:

I thought Rhys-Meyers was better than Johansson (but I do think Johansson was great. call me biased, but still, she played the part well, because i kinda wanted to shoot her myself? i hate people who nag, even if it has to do with something big like pregnancy!). I can't exactly pinpoint why, but I felt a lot like I did with Bill Murray in Lost in Translation. He took a complex character and made his flaws seem understandable...

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed by Johansson (she's been better before), but she did play that part of her character well in that she basically was an annoying girl behaving like an anxious teenager, hehe. I suppose that was part of her character, so it was well-done.

And I agree that Chris was not a flat character. He definitely wasn't. If anything, then Nola and Chloe were flat, but not Chris.

Oh, I also thought Brian Cox was sadly wasted.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

2nd Best? Clearly you two haven't seen Munich yet...

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:26 pm
You must have big rats

2nd Best? Clearly you two haven't seen Munich yet...

The fact aside that Munich is an adapted screenplay, it is hardly possible for me to see it considering the release date is January 26th.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:19 pm
College Boy T

I saw Hostel tonight instead. Meh.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:19 am
Sbil

Here is my review, which I've posted like a million times already, heh.

Oh, my. Well, I wasn't expecting this. Match Point is so different from anything Woody Allen has ever done that it would be almost impossible to tell he wrote/directed it if you didn't already know. With that being said, this is easily his strongest film since Crimes and Misdemeanors and is (along with Interiors) probably the best "serious" work he has ever attempted. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is terrific as Chris, who becomes increasingly desperate to cover his tracks with erratic behavior as his affair with Scarlett Johansson's Nola continues. Johansson and Emily Mortimer's Chloe represent both the two women in Chris' life and two different kinds of people. Chloe is both adoring and "safe" but apparently unwilling to question her own true happiness while Nola is alluring but "risky", coming across at various times as both confident and utterly needy. What is so wonderful about Match Point is its gradual, slow burn change from an "ordinary", straightforward drama about wanting what/who you can't have to an increasingly taut, almost frightening psychological thriller. I won't spoil any of the twists and turns presented in this film, but if you think you know how this movie is going to end, you are likely wrong. One of the five best movies of 2005. A

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:43 am
Sbil

I was wondering something, though. Was Nola actually pregnant? I almost feel like she was making it up in order to get Chris to be with her (jealous of him "trying" to impregnate Chloe) because it was the only way he would, or so she figured, but she underestimated his selfishness.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:44 am
Extraordinary

I was wondering something, though. Was Nola actually pregnant? I almost feel like she was making it up in order to get Chris to be with her (jealous of him "trying" to impregnate Chloe) because it was the only way he would, or so she figured, but she underestimated his selfishness.

Nah, I think she was. the entire film operated under questions of luck and happenstance. it would make sense that Chris was "unlucky" in impregnating her the one time they had unprotected sex, all the while trying daily to get Chloe pregnant (another turn of bad luck). I think they even mention that in the movie.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:47 am
You must have big rats

Libs, who did you think delivered the best performance in the movie?

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:50 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Umm, I don't know, everyone was pretty good. I wouldn't nominate anyone in the cast for an Oscar, though.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:59 am
College Boy T

Are you trying to tell me that Johansson sucked...

...or are you trying to tell dolcevita that Rhys-Meyers was excellent? :tongue:

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:10 am
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Are you trying to tell me that Johansson sucked...

...or are you trying to tell dolcevita that Rhys-Meyers was excellent? :tongue:

No, check yourself in with wertham for paranoia :P

I was just wondering.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:12 am
Profile WWW
College Boy T

Wouldn't it just be easier to say "I was just wondering"? And, you know, cleaner?

Sheesh. I'm kidding around, Lecter.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:14 am
You must have big rats

Wouldn't it just be easier to say "I was just wondering"? And, you know, cleaner?

Sheesh. I'm kidding around, Lecter.

And I was just making a joke *insert head banging against the wall smiley*

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

[I thought I'd better support our poor little sub-forum by cpying my review from the "Everyone's A Critic" forum - but now that I think of it - a true supporter would have given the scoop to this underdog forum. I apologize to my fellow "Foreign and Independent Film" forum contributors for this lack of foresight...]

He's Back!

Woody Allen is in top form with this positively Shakespearean tale. This movie is really something special and demonstrates Allen's uncompromising artistic vision of life.

(Though, even I had to cringe at the cruel way in which he showcased Scarlett Johansson's limited acting ability - Yow!)

I mean within the context of the movie it certainly was effective, but as a career strategy for Johansson, it almost seems foolhardy. She is just a little too convincing as a mediocre actress.

The rest of the cast however is sparklingly perfect. Emily Mortimer and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers are especially extraordinary! The screenplay is sharp and dark and leads you on an unexpected, yet satisfyingly archetypical ride. This is one of Woody Allen's most assured works - he is working at the height of his skill and artistry here. This is a fantastic movie!

6 out of 5.

(Note: Moves onto my top ten list for 2005!)

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:58 am
Motherfuckin' sexual

Post Re: Woody Allen's Match Point
I love this movie people. :thumbsup:

Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Post Re: Woody Allen's Match Point
I love this movie because it features a totally new Woody Allen who isn't about Jewish humor, and because as a standalone film it's still very intriguing.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3