Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 C.R.A.Z.Y.: Quebecois-nderful! 
Extraordinary

Post C.R.A.Z.Y.: Quebecois-nderful!
C.R.A.Z.Y. is an excellent coming-of-age film set in Quebec in the 60's, 70's, and 80's - the soundtrack, set design, and the screenplay perfectly evoke the feel of those days. Very funny, sad, and true.

It addresses it's themes universally and I highly recommend checking it out. Even English Canada reviewer's are falling all over themselves with great reviews! Or check out some of the IMDb User Comments, or C.R.A.Z.Y.'s own website which includes trailers and a listing of the awesome soundtrack which ranges from Patsy Cline to Pink Floyd.

Some of the reviews mention that Canada is considering it for their foreign language Oscar nominee, if so it would be hard to beat...

5 out of 5.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:32 am
Commander and Chef

hmm .. haven't heard of it nor have a i seen any posters or any screenings around montreal for it.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

hmm .. haven't heard of it nor have a i seen any posters or any screenings around montreal for it.

It was released back in May in Quebec and apparently grossed over $6 million in that province alone over the summer - though I see it's still playing in two Montreal theatres:

Quote:
Montreal - Famous Players Versailles Famous Players Traditional - 7275 rue Sherbrooke E.
Montréal - Cineplex Odeon Quartier Latin Cineplex Odeon - 350, rue Émery

Though, this now may be the sub-titled version - BTW, the subtitles themselves were pretty funny when compared to the original Quebecois joual/french - the translator did a great job of capturing the flavor...

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:00 am
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:

It was released back in May in Quebec and apparently grossed over $6 million in that province alone over the summer - though I see it's still playing in two Montreal theatres:

Quote:
Montreal - Famous Players Versailles Famous Players Traditional - 7275 rue Sherbrooke E.
Montréal - Cineplex Odeon Quartier Latin Cineplex Odeon - 350, rue Émery

Though, this now may be the sub-titled version - BTW, the subtitles themselves were pretty funny when compared to the original Quebecois joual/french - the translator did a great job of capturing the flavor...

Hmm ... that explains why i never heard of them : )

Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:21 am
Extraordinary

From what I posted in another thread which I unfortunately made without utilizing the search feature:

Quote:
I was browsing through Netflix, and this has a Watch Now option. Feeling spontaneous, I clicked and just watched it.
I don't have time for a full review right now, but let me just say this French-Canadian flick was one of the best coming-of-age movies I've ever seen. The "Gay-Lesbian" genre classification may scare some folks, but don't let it deter you...it's really not much of the story. It was extraordinarily well acted and directed...a nice little surprise. I really, really enjoyed this, and strongly recommend it to anyone willing to give it a chance.

I wish this had gotten more recognition.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:34 pm
Wallflower

This is an amazing French-Canadian coming-of-age drama. It's just such a great, haunting little movie. The atmosphere/location is perfect and the music is great. Highly recommended! It's a huge shame it didn't get a theatrical release here. It would have done solid business in limited release I think. It's way too great to just be sent to friggin' DVD.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:41 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

WOW! What an excellent movie. I never in a million years expected it to be this good. It's a shame this was so ignored in the United States. It definitely deserved an Oscar nomination. Despite being typecast as a "gay" film due to an aspect of the storyline, this really is anything but - focusing more on the dynamics of an offbeat family more than anything else. Everything about it feels incredibly realistic and the screenplay is very well-written. The characters are interesting and compelling, mainly thanks to the absolutely phenomenal performances. Marc-André Grondin was fantastic - incredibly believable in the lead role. I really felt awful for his character, some scenes were really sad and heartbreaking. Michel Côté was also excellent. I loved the scene between him and Grondin at the very end - it was an absolutely perfect conclusion to the storyline. Danielle Proulx was also great as well. The soundtrack is also AMAZING. This is really one of those films that benefits greatly from the music choices. Some scenes really wouldn't be the same without them. Anyways, this is a must-see, and a highly underrated gem. It's incredibly well-made, phenomenally acted and incredibly touching. Do not miss it. I will definitely be adding this one to my collection.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:29 am
Profile YIM
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re: C.R.A.Z.Y.: Quebecois-nderful!
great film.

Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]