Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Valentín (2002) 
Lord of filth

Post Valentín (2002)
Valentín
Directed by Alejandro Agresti

Valentín is one of those sweet little films that has been floating about the better part of two years and only recently has become available on the US in the DVD, an import from Argentina.

And sweet is the perfect adjective. This is a story that deals with often weighty issues in a mostly non-melodramatic way. Noya carries the film, fully and completely, with the ability to express a child who is touched by a vast amount of wisdom yet not playing it off as if it was scripted by someone much older than himself.

The title character, played brilliantly by the 8 year old (now probably 10) Rodrigo Noya is a cross eyed, stargazing boy with a precariously angry father, a nagging grandmother and a complex about his missing mother. Issues with the three of these characters (and more!) start to build up over time with clever, well scripted events which expand Valentín’s circle to include his loopy uncle, the soon to be ex-girlfriend, the concerned doctor, the maestro upstairs…

If film’s only fault is that, even at 86 minutes, it just kind of farts a long and doesn’t do anything so I can’t tell you really what direction it goes in without giving away vital information that is best experienced in the context of the film. Be not mistaken, this is a pure character piece. Plot seekers need not apply.

Still, there are some great exchanges, including the scene between Valentín and his uncle, talking about the death of his Grandfather, a talk to Leticia, his father’s fiancé, and the final discussion which lays out a central major character issue concerning one of the characters.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:28 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Hmmm. I do remember this film being released where I used to work, and it got a fairly decent amount of attention. At the time I didn't have any idea what it was about though.

Are you saying that you wouldn't reveal one of the events in the film because its a *twist*? Because this didn't in particular seem like a movie that resorted to gimmicks?

I like understated works, so your comments about the film not being melodramatic piqued my interest. Though I do hesitate to see films that are done "through a child's eye," barring The Red Balloon of course. I didn't even like The Tin Drum, and that wasn't a child, it was an adult in a body that wouldn't age. Still, its usually because the director manipulates the child's gaze to create "Naivette" and gloss over certain issues. So apparently a film that really focuses on the characters and is well developed like you say, that doesn't seem to be a problem.

What would you give it as a grade? I've heard you say its a Gem but also that it drags out, so I'm not exactly sure what your final feelings on it were. B+ish I'm guessing. And its from Argentina which is a perk, because I just say The Official Story from there too and its pretty much been a country with a non-existant film past for me until today. I definately want to check out some more Argentine flicks.

Does the missing mother have to do with anything political?

-Dolce

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:49 am
College Boy T

The missing mother has to do with abuse on the father's part. Although, in the film, if I recall, the father constantly bickers about how Valentin's mother was a whore.

*END SPOILERS*

Yeah, so nothing government related. It's currently on my top ten list for the year (#5 or 6), along with The Motorcycle Diaries (#1! With Eternal Sunshine, lol). That has an Argentinian background (not quite sure where it was filmed), and not many know about Che outside of the revolution. You might want to check it out ;)

It's a sweet little film that the critics got wrong. Critics thought it was formulaic, unoriginal, but, yet, avoided commenting on the flow of the film, the tone, and the characters (all of which andy mentioned). The little boy's performance deserves an award. Seriously. You wonder where the "Valentin" part comes from, but, in the beginning of the film, the boy's Harry Potter-like glasses and voice can get annoying. By the end, you'll love him as an insightful eight year old. The film also briefly mentions some Jewish issues, from an Argentinian perspective.

I don't know if it's on video yet, but it isn't in theatres anymore. It had a short run in May this year.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:34 pm
Lord of filth

Yeah it came out on video like 3 weeks ago. At least here in the states.

I don't think the film critics necessarily "got it wrong"... maybe just focused on the wrong things. I just think that Valentin is a little like seeing a film that is decently well made, with a decent plot, a good script. This film really doesn't push the boundries of filmmaking in any way, but it's just a good little film.

With one glaring except, the performance of the boy, which is among the best performances by a child I have ever seen.

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]