Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 In Honor of Ohio's New Found Political Glory~Flag Wars~ 
Extraordinary

Post In Honor of Ohio's New Found Political Glory~Flag Wars~
Ok, I'm posting this one up before the elections more as a space for introspection into the situation in Ohio. I'm pretty sure no one else has seen this documentary, so its more a thread for wandering about the economy and gentrification, and social spaces in Ohio...I'll try and tie it back to the film.

The film, perhaps people from the area have seen it, is about Gentrification of minority neighborhoods in Columbus. Its actually very interesting, so I recommend people who can watch it. It doesn't exactly villafy the incoming White, Gay Community, but it definately reflects nostalgically on the African/African American neighborhood that was there earlier. It focuses mostly around one man who has transfromed his home into a local art and community center, and one woman who really has economic trouble. Also, a real estate agent. and some of the incoming young professionals and land speculators.

Its a very explorative film about Columbus, which I've been to, and thought was pretty nice (where I was anyways). But I realize large chunks of *beautification* activities require the city to make the place appealing to incoming land speculators and businessmen. So it doesn't hurt the city per se, but it definately does change the urban environment.

Ohio, I laugh now, is actually a bit enigmatic of a state. It doesn't have the reputation of the deep south, northeast, or west coast. It doesn't have the sparse density of the southwest. Almost all of the lakes region is like this. Acouple states that built up quickly around fixed industries in the 50's and 60's (earlier as well, but I'm not familiar with it, so someone else can talk about it). And those industries left, leaving dense populations having to reidentify their social, economic, and political future in this country.

Anyways, the title "Flag Wars," comes from the controntation between rainbow flags, and the art/community hand carved wooden sign (which is large, like a flag, and displayed on the front porch, like a flag). I'd be interested in anyone whose seen this movie, wants to ask questions about it, if not, or just wants to theorize about the next 36 hours.

-Dolcevita

Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:40 pm
Extraordinary

No one's seen *Flag Wars*? It was an interesting documentary. I was hoping some of the many Ohioians on the forum (and there are many) might have heard about it. :(

-Dolce

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:32 pm
Lord of filth

It's not available on DVD or video, I've never heard of it myself (not from Ohio though!)... don't know where people would get access to see it?

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

:oops: Its not available at stores? It came out in 2003?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359281/
Okay, I guess I'll go into hiding now. :(

-Dolce

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:12 am
Lord of filth

Well... there's no link on Amazon (who usually has everything) and no link on Netflix... so I don't know how people would just have randomly seen it.

Don't go away, if I ever ran across it I would pick it up and let you know, but I don't think you are going to find many people who have witnessed this particular piece of cinema.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I haven't seen it, but I have heard of it. I hope that qualifies as a legitimate reason to post, because I was feeling a little naughty before I did.

*pats dolce on the butt and then runs*

:P

Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:57 am
Commander and Chef

**Pats Maverikk's butt**

**looks around at confused faces**

**Pats Maverikk's butt again**

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

**Joins in the celebration**

**Pats Maverikk's butt**