Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Best of the Film Festival & Movie Night Schedule 
Extra on the Ordinary

I'm really glad I could make even a small contribution to the festival this year and definitely got something out of it! I particularly enjoyed 8 1/2 (it's a great film) and Seven Beauties because I get tired of writing about how much I love a certain film and it's almost always for the same reason. It is not a move I loved but I actually felt like I had something to say about it other than the usual. :P

I guess my personal goal to watch all the official selections as well as some other movies I'd been meaning to watch for a while AS WELL as re-watch some old favorites was a bit of a failure. lol. Maybeeee it was a bit unrealistic to begin with. But I'm glad I watched what i did and still have a couple of more to watch, although I will not be able to get to them til at least tomorrow. (Profondo Rosso, Grave of the Fireflies....did someone say depressing? Sounds like my cup of tea. :) ) I've always been interested in foreign films in some way and I'll TRY to make sure I get around to watching more of them since I realize there are still plenty of films that I've been missing out on.

Hope some of you check out a couple of films as well. Zennier, I still think you should check out The Devil's Backbone. Possibly baumer as well. Dolce, I highly recommend you check out Bunuel. Judging by your taste in film I think Viridiana and Los Olvidados are two films you definitely must see. I hope more Bunuel films get a DVD release in the U.S. soon but in the meantime Viridiana as well as most of his french films ARE available. If any of you do get around to viewing any of those titles make sure you let me know what you think. Even if it is to thank me for wasting a couple of hours in your lives. :P

For those with cable (;) ) I also highly highly recommend you check out IFC. It's a wonderful network and if I had the time time...I'd probably actually watch it. All movies are uncut and commercial-free. For those of you who might have not seen it yet Y Tu Mama Tambien will be on tonight. Viridiana has aired within the past month as well as Nine Queens and The Devil's Backbone. They have The Janus Film Project on Tuesday evenings, 3 essential films per night. This Tuesday they will air La Strada, Umberto D. and L'Avventura. I will try to catch them but they're three films I'll get around to watching regardless.

And now....on to my grades...

The Bicycle Thief- A
Nine Queens- B
Seven Beauties- B+
Ikiru- B+
8 1/2- A
Belle du Jour- A-
Cinema Paradiso- A-
The Flower of My Secret- B-

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Thanks very much for the information on IFC. I watched The Dreamers ( :unsure: ) last night and saw the advertisements for the Janus Project. I've seen La Strada, but L'Avventura has been on my list to rent for quite some time, so I hope on catching it. Next week, half the school is out on clinicals, opening quite a bit of time up for me to do work in school and watch film at home. In other words, thanks for the information. I can't wait to see more Italian film... particularly 8 1/2! You've been a wonderful asset to this year's festival and I can't thank you enough for helping me out with the Spanish thread. Next year, you need to host something - anything!

I'll be posting my final score chart once I finish Seven Beauties.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:23 pm
htm

New Viewings
1. Seven Beauties - A
2. The Flower of My Secret - A-
3. What Have I Done to Deserve This? - B+
4. Nine Queens - B-

Reviewed & Revisited
1. Bad Education - A
2. Seven Beauties - A
3. All About My Mother - A-
4. The Flower of My Secret - A-