Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 French Film Festival 
Extraordinary

And despite my fairly quick edit to the last post, thank you dolcevita for immortalizing it. :tongue:

You're very welcome!

Actually, I don't mind people giving me insight into what I should keep an eye out for when I watch a film. A bit of context. I like finding out that this was considered Chaplin-esque. Gives me something to keep in mind while I'm looking at the film. Goodness knows I leave a ton of background for people about movies I recommend. If you like, I'll edit it out, but you didn't say that much in it.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:02 pm
Extraordinary

I hate to say this, but when I think of the French Cinema I try to avoid, Playtime is apparently it!

I just finished it, and I'm going to try to set down a few points and think out loud, because I'm still trying to take it all in.

First and foremost, the question on my mind is if Tati has a disdain or a true love for modernist architecture. At one point the American tourists see advertisements for travelling around the world, and every poster has the exact same looking modern cement and glass building on it with only the name of the country varying. A second scene, which is about half the movie, takes place in this "modern" danceclub/restaurant that has just been assmebled and where patrons fight over the tables they reserved even though every table looks exactly the same, is situated in exactly the same fashion, and has exactly the same vantage point on the dance floor. The entire dancehall also doesn't quite function properly, ripping waiter's clothing on its hard metal as a running gag about man's inability to function in modernist spaces.

Had it really been about that, I might have found this film rivetting, as the international style in architecture didn't survive very long, and we see 20/20 hindsight what its weaknesses were (space/privacy being one of them).

But Platime was not about that, exactly, as it had no sympathy for the individuals living within this space either, and actually went to care to make buffons of them. They can't distinguish the difference between a glass door and a blank space, which is another running gag in the movie, along with the way gentlemen keep slipping on glossy floors.

But then, Tati seems to really like modernist architecture too. He has a fascination with glass that runs throughout, and the highlight of the movie (if such a thing it could be called) is when the young American tourist receives a gift, and finds flowers and a handcerchief in the box. When she holds up the flowers, the next shot is of streetlights, which are shaped similarly, and so here is a loving "blooming architecture" as well.

Did he like it, or didn't he? If he finds himself aloof from it, sometimes admiring it, and other times ridiculing it, that makes the most sense to me, because at the root of Playtime is a general aloofness to the envirnment and its people. It just never grabs you, neither the personal stories of the people or the personal story of the architecture. Its just a very "distant" movie, and I found myself getting bored with the running gags of "farting" chairs that everyone seemed to love/consume, and small things like that.

Its well crafted for what it is. I can see Tati really micromanaged everything down to the stride of each confused individual in the street, right down to the families hailing caps at the end that confuse eachothers laundry and baby respectively (yikes!). So there's an expert rythm to the film for sure, but for me, it still completely lacked soul (or for that matter, much humour).

(Sorry Yoshue) C+

Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:55 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Your take on the film is fascinating, dolce, much more so than my own thoughts on the film, which was that it simply didn't register.

The film, to me, seemed as empty as the surroundings and style he was criticising. That's a rather kind C+ you've awarded it up there.

I couldn't finish my attempted re-watching; I pretty much despised the film.

I've rented some Bunuel and Truffaut I haven't seen from the library to wash the taste away.

Has anyone else seen anything? Christian? Jules et Jim? I command you!

Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:33 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Anyone seen the French movie "Time of the Wolf". I'll give a lowdown on it otherwise. Still trying to get my hands on some of Yoshues suggestions which is difficult without netflix (damn Europe). I'll give my views when I can.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:23 am
Extraordinary

Your take on the film is fascinating, dolce, much more so than my own thoughts on the film, which was that it simply didn't register.

The film, to me, seemed as empty as the surroundings and style he was criticising. That's a rather kind C+ you've awarded it up there.

I couldn't finish my attempted re-watching; I pretty much despised the film.

I've rented some Bunuel and Truffaut I haven't seen from the library to wash the taste away.

I'm going to browse my library's collection today too, sort of for the same reason. But as to how generous the C+ was, its tough, because I could sit back and realize how expertly he orchestrated and choreographed each scene. So, in some ways I considered it more like a painting, only looking at a painting last as little or as long as one like, and often part of the narrative is built in the eye of the beholder. Cinema doesn't work that way. And two hours without a story is tough to pull off. Kooyanisquatsi, or Man with a Movie Camera do it, and Playtime somehow does not. Maybe because while Tati choreographed everything down to a man's stride on the sidewalk, you're still watching people, and not too many camera tricks, etc. So I just got bored. Even then though, I guess I could see nice the images could be when devoid of story and sarcasm.

I'm still leaning towards him really thumbing his nose at modern architecture, but I'm not sure why...

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:46 am
Extraordinary

Quote:
A Very Long Engagement

Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Audrey Tautou team up once anew, and with their coupling comes many of the stylistic quirks and atmosphere of their earlier film “The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain”. Only this time around director Jeunet’s telling of A Very Long Engagement is in itself a significantly more invested tale that allows for Jeunet’s tangent narrative spins to move the film along rather than just deter from it. Engagement weaves between not the past and present, but the present and visions of a rethought past. Tautou plays Mathilde, a young women searching for the love of her life, Manech (Gaspard Ulliel) after World War I. As she uncovers more and more about the night of his death she continuously remodels the events in order to accommodate the new information. The story itself is a quite a straightforward tale of hopeful love, life, and youthful determination, but it is necessarily simple since the main attraction of the movie focuses on its manipulation of time.

Manech is so desperate to return home early that he purposefully mutilates his own hand in an attempt to be granted a permissive ride home. Except that he and four other men accused of similar actions are instead punished by the French army, and are left to die in the no man’s land region between the French and German barracks one night. The series of events that unfolds in the dark of that night and the few hours of morning light are all the information that remains of the presumably dead five men. Mathilde is not convinced of the finality of their situation.

Crippled since youth she sets off to Paris determined to learn the fate of Manech. She’s intelligent and pertinent for a young woman, and manages to recruit many sympathizers along her journey including the prostitute lover of one of the other penalized men. Tina Lombardi (Marion Cotillard) is the strongest compliment to Mathilde in her simultaneous quest to discover and wreak havoc upon anyone and everyone that assisted in the abandonment and death of her lover in the trenches. Because both Mathilde and Tina are women deeply in love with lost men, the contrasts and similarities in their resulting quests both emphasize the time in which both women operate and the profundity in the nuances of their personalities. Tina actually comes across as far more engaging and intriguing a figure despite her dramatically limited screen time, or perhaps because of it.

Audrey Tautou is perfect in the role of Mathilde, and anyone who already developed an affinity for her look and characterization will find her casting exceptionally successful. Jeunet’s Amelie and Mathilde are remarkably similar, but Mathilde’s story is far more flattering and less ingratiating than Tautou’s now famous former title role. Her innocent eyes and determined mouth work better in this story that demands an impertinent youth on the verge of womanhood. Jeunet’s typical visual tangents are incorporated in much more adept fashions for Engagement. The snips of narrative serve as the revisited visions Mathilde creates of the past, and they work to break the film’s sense of time. They same night’s events change but unfold in present time while as well being woven into Mathilde’s search for answers, past flashbacks to her meetings with Manech before the war, and Tina’s thirst for revenge. Had the film stopped here it would have been excellent. Jeunet, unfortunately, never realizes that Mathilde has enough personality without needing frivolous extra quirks. These quirks come in the form of her annoying habits of testing her hope with random events such as when a conductor will ask for her ticket, or her dog will enter the room. She also plays tuba, but several times too often to watch. Her habits do not ruin the sense of her personality but nor do they add to it.

Ultimately, A Very Long Engagement is a quality film but lacks the suspense to be truly riveting. Mathilde’s quest still remains a goal oriented quest rather than a process oriented journey, and so the focus of an end point still plays too heavy a hand in what could have otherwise been a film truly about time and maturity. One cannot help but notice that the end is too important for the complexities of a film that is not supposed to be exactly linear. Less expository and more creative than most dramas of such a nature, but still crisp and palatable, A Very Long Engagement is a strong movie if not an exceptional one.

Grade: B

Quote:
Cache

There’s a certain relevancy to Cache that denies frustrated filmgoers that ability to walk away from Michael Haneke’s latest drama without giving it a second thought. The plot, about a family plagued by daily videotapes of themselves, is a red herring of sorts, as Haneke and his cast explore topics of family distrust and the topical yet timeless observation of bourgeois race-relations. Paris is burning, and Cache’s crew is determined to reflect on why.

Georges Laurent (Daniel Auteuil) has everything he could want in life. He hosts an intellectual roundtable on national television, has a beautiful loving wife Anne (Juliet Binoche) and a teenage son who has typical teenage tendencies but nothing more alarming. The family members sit in their lovely living room lined with expensive books, eat dinner together, and split their merry ways to prepare for the following day’s work and classes. Their lives, not their habits, change when videotapes of their home begin appearing at their doorstep. The surveillance expert unknown, Anne and George try to recreate the motions in the footage and figure out who could possibly be standing two feet from them and video recording them without so much as even being visible. Was someone in a car? How about a room in the building across the way? But who would want to do such a thing?

When the tapes begin appearing with child-like hand-drawn images of beheaded victims, Georges and Anne immediately seek the guidance of the police. In all too convenient fashion, the police refuse to get involved until the transgression on privacy becomes violent, rather than just alluding to violence as it has thus far done. Georges angrily and obsessively sets out to track the perpetrator himself. He begins to have flashbacks to a haunting secret from his youth, and becomes convinced his indiscretions as a six year old boy are coming back to haunt him. His secret is so dark that he’s never even told Anne, and he refuses to do so even in their current situation.

In typical French cinema aesthetic and style, Georges and Anne start to fight. Not melodramatic tears and snarls, just the usual bickering and screaming long since established as a polished form by the French New Wave. Thankfully, Haneke does not tie his family trauma to their own alienation from each other alone, but he also works the story into larger social context. His directorial sense of relating national events through the microcosm of the Laurent family saves Cache from being wasted energy and talent. Cache only grows in intensity from its flimsy foundations, and the finale is both shocking and meaningful without being completely infantilizing.

Had Cache not elicited a twice-over gasp from the audience within its final minutes, one would wonder how engaging the experience of the film within a film was. Haneke does a good enough job of weaving the documentary style footage of the unknowing victim family into their real life through use of their voiceovers while watching the tapes. George and Anne at first question and later freak out over the nightly viewings. Likewise the two wonder how the tapes are consistently placed on their doorstep without the deliverer ever being spotted. The pencil and red marker drawings are truly disturbing, and the introduction of postcards and further dissemination of footage makes for what should have been an increasing stress to the family’s experiences. And yet, Caches’ ability to captivate the viewer amongst the family’s arguments and accusations is weak.

Haneke uses too notoriously aloof a style to truly engage viewers in the visceral experience of his thrice over trauma. He leaves no visual substance under the surface to work through, and depends on mutual interest in catching the perpetrator on both sides of the screen to relay interest until broader discourse supercedes the original viewer’s investment. He vies away from his own equation and introduces the topical and historically tragic social agenda. In fairness to his work, he lays down the framework quietly, and allows Cache to build steam as it unfolds. But the climax is in the tune of too little too late. A film that is more interesting to contemplate than it is to actually view; Cache just doesn’t quite catch on.

Grade: B-

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:47 am
Extraordinary

Ok, I got one more French movie I've never seen in. I saw Truffaut's Wild Child. I dunno, I've heard not good things about it, basically that it is distant and a little boring, but I liked 400 Blows last year, so I thought I'd try this anyways. I actually didn't think it was boring at all. I thought it was good. I wouldn't say I was completely floored, but I'd suggest everyone give it a try. The movie is based off of the documents surrounding the Wild Child of Aveyron, which is pretty well known. But Truffaut gives us a quiet little look into if doctor Itard is helping or hurting Victor. No one is bad intentioned here, and Truffaut doesn't hand us an answer.

At some points I thought, man just leave Victor alone, but on the other hand when Victor finally runs away to the woods he comes back of his own volition. Its sad though because its leaves him in the middle of both worlds at the end. He neither really can stay, nor can he now return to how he was, so hes stuck, and when the doctor finishes with a promise to immediately continue lessons, I felt really bad for Victor. But its not like he's chained and shackled to the door, so I wonder what compelled him to come back in the first place? I think this is Truffaut's ultimate question. What compelled Victor to come back after he had run away? And there's no gratifying answer.

Technically, the movie was well done, but I see where some people would be bored. It is distant in that the entire movie is narrated in voice-over by the doctor writing his letters, and rarely are there emotional highs and lows. On the surface there's no major trauma or fight or joy to keep one rivetted. Just a...slow...process...of...observation. Trufaut also spends an exceptional amount of time dwelling on Victor's gate, his rolling around, his drinking water, his escape into the rain, and his general "wild" actions. If this movie had been two hours, it would have been too long.

As it stood, however, I rather thought it was decent, and I'm surprised I heard it wasn't so good. I'd give it maybe a B+.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:54 am
Extra on the Ordinary

So I watched Belle du Jour almost over a week ago I think but have been unable to write anything about it simply because I don't know what to make out from the ending. Prior to the ending, though, it's very erotic without ever being explicit. The way in which the movie explores reality and fantasy to the point where sometimes the audience doesn't know which is which is something that really must be seen. And Catherine Deneuve is wonderufl. This is the work of a director unlike any other at the top of his game, a must-see. The ending still gives me a headache just thinking about it though. :P

A-

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Brief thoughts: I thought it was a wonderful little film, though I did not expect the style and pace of the movie to be that fast. It did kind of remind me of Jeunet films (quick cutaways, weird montage, different film stocks, great camerawork). I'm not that schooled into French films but is that Trauffaut's style? Excellent rapport between the three leads (though sometimes, I think they're acting TO the camera, as if everything is a *wink* *wink* performance). The Criterion includes an enlightening commentary and discussed the symbolisms of fire, water, and the smiling statue which made me like the film even more because of its subtle cues in an otherwise straightforward film.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 pm
Team Kris

I also am viewing (little by little) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Obviously the Festival hasn't ended in my house yet.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2