Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 My Winnipeg: Maddin-gly Brilliant! 
Extraordinary

Post My Winnipeg: Maddin-gly Brilliant!
Very perceptive.

Very funny.

Very great.

As I recently described Werner Herzog's work, Guy Maddin makes the idiosyncratic, universal!

Henceforth, I am devoted to waiting for the sequel: Citizen Girl, featuring the character portrayed by Kate Yacula battling her classic archnemesis Mother, as embodied by Ann Savage. (Not to mention my inexplicable urge to buy the entire 50 season DVD boxset of Ledge Man)....

This is a fiercely brilliant philosophy-comedy, or as they will come to be known as they become popular - - PHI-COM's.

Highly recommended.

51 out of 5.

(PS: Here's my KJ review of Maddin's previous film, Brand Upon The Brain, with brief mention of my virgin Maddinightmare*, Saddest Music In The World starring the incomparable Isabella Rossellini...)

((*PPS: I should say dreams... Oh, aren't we all such drama queens when it comes to someone'thing we're passionate about?!?!? A timely reminder to cut the other dude some slack...))

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:46 pm
He didn't look busy?!

Post Re: My Winnipeg: Maddin-gly Brilliant!
half of my family is from/lives in Winnipeg, and I've watched one of his movies before, so I definitely wanna check this out. My cousin, a lifelong Winnipegian and huge Maddin fan, says he thinks it's his best work.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I can hardly believe there has been a response in this thread - - my other Maddin thread lies untouched, frozen deep under the forum tundra.

Anyways, I just found out that Ann Savage was the one and the same actress who played the classic femme fatale in the ultra-cool, b-movie, 1945 film noir Detour.

That blows my mind!

I picked up a VHS copy of Detour about a decade ago in the 99ç bin at wallyworld - - if you haven't seen this gem - - search out a copy and watch it ASAP!!!

(Here's a link to Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" review of it...)

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 am

I live in Winnipeg!

I saw this and it's really insightful about how he feels about the city and things. And it's so funny how I know just about all the places and things that are in the movie.

And Maddin is going to be one of my profs for the winter semester which is really cool.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:46 am
Team Kris

Maps wrote:
I live in Winnipeg!

I saw this and it's really insightful about how he feels about the city and things. And it's so funny how I know just about all the places and things that are in the movie.

And Maddin is going to be one of my profs for the winter semester which is really cool.

Welcome, Maps!

There's also another person here who lives in Winnipeg. Maybe you know him, lol.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]