Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Actors/Actresses to get 8(+) Oscar noms in their lifetimes? 
You must have big rats

Post Actors/Actresses to get 8(+) Oscar noms in their lifetimes?
I've been thinking recently (yeah, all the Oscar stuiff is obviously a lot on my mind lately)...what actors and actresses will end up with 8 or more Oscar nominations in their lifetimes (obviously apart from those who have already reached 8 noms)? I thought about setting the bar at 10 first, but then realized that it is really a feat unlikely to be achieved by more than 2-3 thespians.

For some it can be predicted based on the kinds of projects they take and their general acting qualities and how much the Academy loves them.

Here's who I think will achieve that:

Kate Winslet - she's the youngest person to get five acting nominations (she's just 32) and with Revolutionary Road due 2008, it looks like a 6th nom is coming along our way. She's pretty much a lock to manage that feat since the Academy likes nominating her and she likes to take on ballsy and complex roles. In fact, I'd say that her career will be similar to Meryl Streep in that aspect. I see her getting over 10 noms during her lifetimes and at least two wins along the road.

Leonardo DiCaprio - funny that both starred together in Titanic, but as for DiCaprio it took some tie after that to be taken more seriously as an actor. Now he's on his best way to a Best Actor Oscar, taking roles that will certainly deliver awards recognition (Body of Lies and Revolutionary Road next year).

Russell Crowe - 3 nominations so far, but they were consecutive. I'd also say that he probably just narrowly missed for Master and Commander and for Cinderella Man. The thing about Crowe is that he's not only that good, he also keeps picking Oscar-baity projects like American Gangster, Cinderella Man and so on. Therefore, I expect him to become one of the most-nominated actors of his generation.

Judi Dench - okay, this is a tough one because she needs to live long enough for that, but she seems in good, healthy shape, so...why not? It's obvious that the Academy loves her. Between 1997 and now, she has received six Oscar nominations, for of them for a leading role. With just a couple more fitting projects, she'll get to 8 as well.

Cate Blanchett - Three nominations so far, at least one more to get this year...yeah, I think she's on a good way to 8 as well. Certainly a very gifted actress.

Michael Caine
- Age will be a factor again, but he seems very fitting for a veteran nominee spot. He needs two more nominations to get to 8.

Denzel Washington - he'll likely be the only African American actor (at least for a while) to get 8 noms or more, but standing at 5 right now, it shouldn't be a stretch for him to get 3 more with the kind of roles, he's picking.

Tom Hanks - a few years ago, I'd have said, it's a no-brainer...but Hanks hasn't had an Oscar nom in a while alraady. I still think he'll make it, but I used to think he'd end up with 10+ noms in his career. That's unlikely to happen now, I think.

Other possibilities that I am not as sure of yet however):

Julianne Moore (4 noms so far)
Johnny Depp (2 noms so far)
Sissy Spaceck (6 noms so far)

Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

Post Re: Actors/Actresses to get 8(+) Oscar noms in their lifetimes?
Ryan Gosling will probably wind up with 8+ in his career...I mean, his performance in Half-Nelson had no buzz and ended up with a nom, and the little-seen Lars and the Real Girl may get him another one just a year later...people love this guy, and he's only in his mid-twenties.

I think Blanchett and Winslet are talented enough that past their beauty-age days, they'll still be getting work and will both wind up with around ten in their career.

Unless something screws it up, Will Smith should end up with a number like that...he's already gotten two for POH and Ali, and he'll probably get one next year for Seven Pounds...as long as he stays a huge name, it's likely.

We haven't seen an Oscar-oriented performance from Shia LaBeouf, but he's the new Tom Cruise, and if he takes on serious roles, he's a good enough actor that it could land him some nominations.

If Johnny Depp keeps up Oscar roles, he'll manage it too...he's one of the biggest mixtures of Oscar-friendly acting and audience popularity around.

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Winslet and Blanchett seem like the two locks. Both are insanely talented and already are close, with it being 5-5 or 4-5 after this year. Hanks also seems pretty assured, he's got 5 in the bag, with a name like his it shouldn't be too hard to get 3 more before he dies.

I think Leo and Gosling will have to keep up the hard work to get it, but I could see it happening easily.

I'd also add a couple oldies who are just shy of the mark:
Robert De Niro - 6 nominations to date, hasn't got anything since 1992 but old age noms are possible
Robert Duvall - Ditto to De Niro, 6 nominations so far

Would also keep an eye on Keira and Ellen Page in the long run.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:47 am
You must have big rats

I thought about including De Niro, but he just doesn't seem to be taking on this kind of roles anymore... As for DiCaprio, I bet anything that he'll be at 8+ noms before his 50th birthday.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:36 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

I'm beginning to wonder if Keira Knightley has much range. Her last six big films [including the upcoming "Duchess"] have been period romances, and she's played virtually the same character in each one. Outside "Bend it Like Beckham," I haven't seen anything besides Elizabeth Swan out of her...hopefully she'll show us some more range in the future.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:38 am
Profile WWW

I think we can say Kate Winslet should be the next Meryl Streep, but of the actors, who will be the next Jack Nicholson?

Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:41 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

billybobwashere wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if Keira Knightley has much range. Her last six big films [including the upcoming "Duchess"] have been period romances, and she's played virtually the same character in each one. Outside "Bend it Like Beckham," I haven't seen anything besides Elizabeth Swan out of her...hopefully she'll show us some more range in the future.

That's a really good point, actually. Has Knightley ever even attempted an American accent in a film before? I genuinely can't remember ever hearing her speak with anything but that perfect, upper-class English rose lilt.

Maybe the first time she tries (preferably while playing someone disabled with a drug/alcohol addiction who rises against the odds to save a falsely accused black man from death row while intermittently protesting the Iraq war) will also mark her first true Oscar win.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:01 pm
loyalfromlondon

Snrub wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:

That's a really good point, actually. Has Knightley ever even attempted an American accent in a film before? I genuinely can't remember ever hearing her speak with anything but that perfect, upper-class English rose lilt.

Maybe the first time she tries (preferably while playing someone disabled with a drug/alcohol addiction who rises against the odds to save a falsely accused black man from death row while intermittently protesting the Iraq war) will also mark her first true Oscar win.

She attempted one in The Jacket, but it was generally a terrible performance in a pretty crummy film, and the accent didn't really help anything.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:06 pm
He didn't look busy?!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
I think we can say Kate Winslet should be the next Meryl Streep, but of the actors, who will be the next Jack Nicholson?
Nobody will be the next Jack Nicholson....he's one of a kind [although, Philip Seymour Hoffman is quite a bit like him].....I think the next Tom Hanks or Robert DeNiro or Dustin Hoffman would be better choices. And for Hanks or Hoffman, I'd say Ryan Gosling. For DeNiro, I'd say Christian Bale.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:39 pm
Profile WWW

Bale isn't much of a method actor like DeNiro is, Bale tends to play the everyday man more, even in Batman he plays that everyday aspect.

On Nicholson I was more so refering to who will be the next Oscar nominee go-to guy for an actor, as in 10+.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:16 pm
He didn't look busy?!

then I'd go with Ryan Gosling. His three serious theatrical performances [Half-Nelson, Fracture, Lars and the Real Girl] were all fantastic, and all for different reasons. Half-Nelson showed us a laid back, druggie kinda guy, Fracture gave us his firm/smart thriller character, and Lars gave us his mentally twisted side...he's so talented, so young, and in less than a month might have two Oscar nominations to his name.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Bale isn't much of a method actor like DeNiro is, Bale tends to play the everyday man more, even in Batman he plays that everyday aspect.

On Nicholson I was more so refering to who will be the next Oscar nominee go-to guy for an actor, as in 10+.

Leonardo DiCaprio. I'm very sure he'll get 10+ noms in his lifetime.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:08 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Actors/Actresses to get 8(+) Oscar noms in their lifetim
I'm absolutely sure that Scorsese will manage one or two more as well. Spielberg might actually hit ten. If he does, I'd expect another win for him too, to at least tie Wyler and Capre. Ford seems unbeatable, though. I think Scorsese might reach 9-10 as well, actually. His last three films were all nominated and so was he.

I think if Woody Allen produces another movie as lauded as Match Point was, he'll get a nom as well, due to age probably.

Eastwood will get one or two more noms before his death as well :P

Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:45 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Heh, though admit it, it'd be awesome if Scorsese, Eastwood and Spielberg faced each other in the same year!

(and then some debut-director of 30 years age will come along and snacth the Oscar :P)

Seriously, though, The Human Factor will be a big big contender. It will be a biopic and likely be also considered an "important" movie at the same time.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Woody Allen needs to slow down and focus on quality, not quanity.

I was just thinking about it...and Annie Hall swept the Big 5: Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay. Has anything else ever done this?

Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:11 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Silence of the Lambs did it.

There was one other film to manage it in the 40s or 50s I think.

Edit: There have been three films in total, It Happened One Night in 1934, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in 1975 and Silence of the Lambs in 1991. Annie Hall missed it by one award (Woody Allen was nominated for but did not win Best Actor).

Last edited by Snrub on Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:16 pm
Extraordinary

Actually, nevermind. Woody Allen was only nominated for Best Actore.

Big 5 Sweeps:
It Happened One Night (1934)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Near Misses:
Gone with the Wind (1939) for which Clark Gable was nominated for Best Actor but did not win
Mrs. Miniver (1942) for which Walter Pidgeon was nominated for Best Actor but did not win
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) won all but Best Actress; the only female lead, Myrna Loy, was not nominated
On the Waterfront (1954) won all but Best Actress; Eva Marie Saint won for Best Supporting Actress in the primary female role of the film
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) won all but Best Actress; the film had no significant female role
A Man for All Seasons (1966) won all but Best Actress; Wendy Hiller, the only significant female role, was nominated for Best Supporting Actress
Patton (1970) won all but Best Actress; the film had no significant female role
The French Connection (1971) won all but Best Actress; the film had no significant female role
Annie Hall (1977) for which Woody Allen was nominated for Best Actor but did not win
Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) won all but Best Actress; Meryl Streep won for Best Supporting Actress in the primary female role of the film
Gandhi (1982) won all but Best Actress; the only female lead, Rohini Hattangadi, was not nominated
Terms of Endearment (1983) won all but Best Actor; Jack Nicholson won for Best Supporting Actor in the primary male role of the film
Amadeus (1984) won all but Best Actress; the only female lead, Elizabeth Berridge, was not nominated
Rain Man (1988) won all but Best Actress; the only female lead, Valeria Golino, was not nominated
Forrest Gump (1994) won all but Best Actress; the film had no lead female role, and several supporting female roles that were not nominated
American Beauty (1999) for which Annette Bening was nominated for Best Actress but did not win

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi ... ig_Five%22

Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:18 pm
Extraordinary

17th Academy Awards - 1944
Quote:
Barry Fitzgerald becomes the first (and only) actor to be nominated for two Academy Awards for the same performance when he is nominated for both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for Going My Way. He wins Best Supporting Actor, while losing Best Actor to Bing Crosby (also for Going My Way). As a result of this, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences subsequently changes its rules to prevent double nominations from reoccurring. [7], [8], [9]

Ha.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:21 pm
The Wall

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio - funny that both starred together in Titanic, but as for DiCaprio it took some tie after that to be taken more seriously as an actor. Now he's on his best way to a Best Actor Oscar, taking roles that will certainly deliver awards recognition (Body of Lies and Revolutionary Road next year).

I don't think it took him some time. It just took him some Oscar-baity roles. He, after all, had an Oscar nomination a few years before Cate. Remember "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?"?

Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Shaking off Titanic took him a while. He's long said that accepting that role was the worst thing he's done for his career.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:45 pm
The Incredible Hulk

Shack wrote:
Shaking off Titanic took him a while. He's long said that accepting that role was the worst thing he's done for his career.

He's denied saying he regretted filming Titanic. What he has said is that Titanic lead to many more opportunities for him.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

Well, I can see why it would seem to be a detriment. Not only does it threaten to send you down as always being "Jack Dawson," but it also gives you legions of screaming teenage girl fans, which can make cementing yourself as a serious actor somewhat difficult.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:26 pm
You must have big rats

Shack wrote:

Exactly.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

I'm much more inclined to believe he denied that, because to say that would be to say like Moses regreting accepting the ten commandments... Doesn't make sense.

Titanic propeled him to where he is now. It's not Titanic's fault he chose the roles to The Man with a Golden Mask & The Beach after... It's not like those were award winning roles.

You may hate Titanic like most people here, but credit where credit's due.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:43 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

The quote on imdb:

Quote:
"It was pretty disheartening to be objectified like that. I wanted to stop acting for a little bit. But it changed my life in a lot of ways, but at the same time, I can't say that it didn't give me opportunities. It made me, for the first time, in control of my career." - On Titanic (1997)

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next