Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Best Actress 
Veteran

Raffiki, I liked Julie Delpy's performance. It's just not the type of performance that the Academy usually goes for, but anything is possible. Critical acclaim doesn't always translate into a nomination. As I've pointed out before, remember Naomi Watts Oscar snub for Mullholland Drive. If Delpy gets nominated, I'll be incredibly happy for you!

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Raffiki, I liked Julie Delpy's performance. It's just not the type of performance that the Academy usually goes for, but anything is possible. Critical acclaim doesn't always translate into a nomination. As I've pointed out before, remember Naomi Watts Oscar snub for Mullholland Drive. If Delpy gets nominated, I'll be incredibly happy for you!

Well, thanks!
I'm flattered you'd think of me :D

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:36 am
Forum General

Well, thanks!
I'm flattered you'd think of me :D

I do agree that her performance is not what oscar goes for usually.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:36 am
Veteran

I noticed at BOM that Birth is going back into 500+ theaters! I guess someone really wants an Oscar nomination for Nicole Kidman. I know Oscar nominee ballots are out right now, but when are they due?

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I noticed at BOM that Birth is going back into 500+ theaters! I guess someone really wants an Oscar nomination for Nicole Kidman. I know Oscar nominee ballots are out right now, but when are they due?

As far as I know Jan 17th, but I might be mixing up something.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Well, as it stands, I'd call Benning, Winslet, Staunton and Swank locks.

The 5th spot will be between Delpy and Moreno.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

I'm guessing the Oscars will match SAG for 5-for-5. So we have:
Annette Bening
Catalina Sandino Moreno
Imelda Staunton
Hilary Swank
Kate Winslet

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:24 pm
You must have big rats

I don't think that the oscars are going to nominate a young, debuting actress in that category twice in a row, therefore, I am leaning towards Delpy.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Yes she has missed out (Delpy) on Golden Globe, SAG, BFCA, and even the Independent Film Awards failed to nominate her. At this point last year Evan Rachel Wood at least had a a Golden Globe nomination and SAg nomination (and BFCA for best young actress). I don't see how Delpy can manage to pull out a nomination at this point.

Personally I think both Catalina Sandino Moreno and Julie are completeluy deserving of nominations though, so I'm glad at least Catalina has a good shot at it. The thing that makes me wonder is the SAG nominations...are they really gonna match 5/5 this year??? Or is one gonna miss out (IT'd likely be Moreno in this case). I'd hate to see any of them miss out (maybe except for bEnning....haven't seent he movie though) and Benning is unlikely to be the one to miss out.

so, hmmm.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Yes she has missed out (Delpy) on Golden Globe, SAG, BFCA, and even the Independent Film Awards failed to nominate her. At this point last year Evan Rachel Wood at least had a a Golden Globe nomination and SAg nomination (and BFCA for best young actress). I don't see how Delpy can manage to pull out a nomination at this point.

Personally I think both Catalina Sandino Moreno and Julie are completeluy deserving of nominations though, so I'm glad at least Catalina has a good shot at it. The thing that makes me wonder is the SAG nominations...are they really gonna match 5/5 this year??? Or is one gonna miss out (IT'd likely be Moreno in this case). I'd hate to see any of them miss out (maybe except for bEnning....haven't seent he movie though) and Benning is unlikely to be the one to miss out.

so, hmmm.

Well, the thing is...if the SAG noms don't match, who can sneak in besides Delpy?

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Rod wrote:

so, hmmm.

Well, the thing is...if the SAG noms don't match, who can sneak in besides Delpy?

Uma Thurman is probably the only other choice.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:34 pm
All Star Poster

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Rod wrote:

so, hmmm.

That's who I was thinking, though if the category is as crazy as last year it could be anyone from Laura Dern to Nicole Kidman to Emmy Rossum wo who knows who.

I don't know...they could match though, I guess.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

Libs wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Rod wrote:

so, hmmm.

That's who I was thinking, though if the category is as crazy as last year it could be anyone from Laura Dern to Nicole Kidman to Emmy Rossum wo who knows who.

*Cough*Julia Roberts*cough* :wink:

Not gonna happen, but in my dreams, I guess. :cry:

Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:05 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Rod wrote:

so, hmmm.

Then again, Kidman, Dern and Rossum are not more likely than Delpy. I'd say, if Moreno doesn't make it, Delpy will get it.

Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

Rod wrote:
Libs wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Rod wrote:

so, hmmm.

Then again, Kidman, Dern and Rossum are not more likely than Delpy. I'd say, if Moreno doesn't make it, Delpy will get it.

I'd say Rossum is more probable based on the BFCA win, NBR win and the Golden Golbe nomination. Julie D. didn't get either of those to my knowledge. I actually think the Best Actress will look just like the SAG and if anyone's left out, it will be Moreno in favor of Thurman.

Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:46 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran

Even though I'm predicting Swank, Staunton, Bening, Winslett, and Moreno (like most people it seems, after SAG) I'm feeling we're in for at least one surprise in this category. Moreno, Winslett, and Bening all seem to be on shaky ground, though I do think Bening and Winslet will make it.

So who could be a shocker? Julie Delpy? She could possibly be rewarded instead with a script nom. for Before Sunset. Oscar does love those acting writing combos...remember Emma Thompson for Sense and Sensibility and Affleck/Damon for Good Will Hunting? Or she could be a double nominee, just like Damon and Thompson. All of a sudden this scenario seems very likely. It could be a long shot, but I just have the feeling this category will hold a surprise.

Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

OK, as I mentioned in other threads, just saw Hilary Swank's performance, and it is the best I saw this year. Totally deserving.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:26 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby
Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake
Annette Benning, Being Julia
Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind
Julie Delpy, Before Sunset

The 5th spot is very iffy, as always. I know most will pick Catalina Sandino Moreno, but something tells me that SAG won't be 5:5 right on. Furthermore, I don't think that the Academy will nominate actresses under 18 in their debut films two years in a row. In competition are also Emmy Rossum and Uma Thurman, but I think Delpy's performance is the most-praised one...

Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm right with you Lecter with Sunset noms in both Screenplay and Actress, just as in my predictions in the game I turned in Saturday.

Have u seen Before Sunset? If not, u should check it out!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:59 am
You must have big rats

I'm right with you Lecter with Sunset noms in both Screenplay and Actress, just as in my predictions in the game I turned in Saturday.

Have u seen Before Sunset? If not, u should check it out!

No, I haven't seen it yet, but either the upcoming weekend or the one after that I plan on renting Before Sunrise and Before Sunset for a double feature :)

Unfortunately, Delpy failed to garner a nom...

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby
Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake
Annette Benning, Being Julia
Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind
Catalina Sandino Moreno, Maria Full of Grace

I think that Kate Winslet and Moreno are pretty much out of the race. ItÄll be between Benning, Staunton and Swank. I don't think it'll go to Swank because I doubt the Academy will want her to become one of the worlds "best actresses" with 2 Oscars at such a young age. Vera Drake certainly has lots of support with Screenplay and Directing noms, but Benning is higher profile and considered more overdue, so I'd place her as my pick for the winner as of now.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

I agree with you Artur that Winslet and Moreno are pretty much out of the race. It'll come down to Swank, Benning and Stauton. I don't think the Academy will give Swank another Oscar, so it's between Benning and Stauton for me. I'll give the edge to Stauton just because Vera Drake has so much support with it's surprise Director and Screenplay nods.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:53 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran

Wouldn't it be interesting if Staunton or Winslet won? Staunton has won more critic's award than anyone else in the race, I think. There is obviously lots of love for Vera Drake considering the three noms. it received, all in major categories. Plus, the abortion issue is going to be a hot topic in the next months.

Winslet is very past due and ESOTSM has a devoted following. Plus she has Finding Neverland also this year. She could pull an upset.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Winslet is not out of it though. Her performance stands out. And has enough support for a possible win, though I'm not expecting it. (plus she's somewhat overdue, and had two critically acclaimed performances this year).

It does seemt o be Staunton vs. Swank vs. Benning.

If Swank hadn't won just 5 years ago she'd be a shoo-in for it this year. Staunton and Swank easily pull ahead of everyone else in terms of critical acclaim.

Benning is overdue.

Being Julia and Vera Drake are realllllllly small movies.

So basically I'm not sure what to say. I AM leaning towards Swank, but the SAG awards will be very telling this year.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next