Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Best Actor 
Forum General

Raffiki wrote:
Well, then Mike, I guess we just disagree on that issue. And I don't mind, we'll just have to wait till the nominations come out.

But I want to make one thing clear... It's that I never stated nor implied than African Americans never ever had good Oscar roles. I was trying to argue that African Americans not being nominated had more to do with casting them in quality movies (of which some were, but not alot) and also the number of African American actors versus White than the Academy having these roles to choose from and always not selecting African Americans. All I was implying is that you can't take that history as such a substantial piece of evidence because of the circumstances back then and now!

Ah, okay, I get what you were trying to say now. I still disagree, but you have a point there.

I just wanted to take this time to say Raffiki that even though we disagree on this one issue, I find I agree with you 99% of the time with your comments towards the Oscars and such. Sometimes you take exactly what I am thinking and write it down, it's amazing. Really, that's exactly how I feel. So keep inputting your opinion.

Oh, and your english has gotten superbly better over time. ;) What's your nationality, again?

PEACE, Mike ;)

LOL. I still remember that from BOM. I don't think it necessarily got better. I think I like to express myself the best way possible and the most fluent when talking about Oscar. In other posts or subjects.... I can ramble on and not really notice how I'm putting something out there to read. I always think twice when posting something in this forum.

I am glad to hear we think almost exactly the same way.

I was born in the United States, and ctually still live in my city of origin in California. But I am a full-blooded Armenian and proud to be both!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:04 pm
Forum General

I can't believe it, but I think I might slowly be giving into the Sunshine! :D
I'm thinking while Kate is far from a lock and still don't think she'll get 2 nominations, she is almost up there for a Best Actress nod.

And if it weren't for Sideways, I think I'd really consider Eternal Sunshine in my top 5 predix for Best Picture. I desperately need to watch that movie again. I saw it when it first came out in March. I remember being rather bored of the first half or maybe confused a to where it was going but thoroughly content with the movie overall: the second half picked up and took my interest with it. I need to check it out again to see exactly how much I loved it!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:09 pm
life begins now

After seeing The Aviator, I thik Leo is for sure going to get a nod, and could possibly upset Jaime Foxx. He was excellent in it; much better than I thought he was going to be.

Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:40 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

After seeing The Aviator, I thik Leo is for sure going to get a nod, and could possibly upset Jaime Foxx. He was excellent in it; much better than I thought he was going to be.

Agreed. Any doubt about the nomination was erased after I saw it yesterday. I haven't seen a lot of other performances that are in contentions, but Leo left the biggest and best impression on me. The accent, the way he delivered each word, the expression; they are all great. Also unlike Depp's subtle work, this is all out there for you to see. Leo will give Foxx a run for the win as well.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

After The Sea Inside's rather abysmal performance at the box-office I start doubting Bardem's chances at a nom. I think these four are locks/close to locks at this point:

Don Cheadle
Leonardo DiCaprio
Liam Neeson
Jamie Foxx

Johnny Depp, Paul Giamatti and Javier Bardem will duke it out for the 5th spot, in my opinion.

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

After seeing Hotel Rwanda and Million Dollar Baby today, I'd say both Don Cheadle and Clint Eastwood deserve nominations.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

After seeing Hotel Rwanda and Million Dollar Baby today, I'd say both Don Cheadle and Clint Eastwood deserve nominations.
I'll be thrilled if Clint Eastwood somhow gets in that short list of actors.
I don't klnow why cuz i'm not even a big fan of his and havent seen almost any of his old movies, but I want him to get in!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:01 pm
College Boy T

Bardem has no chance. Moreno has MUCH more support than Bardem and the movie was a "hit" (for a Spanish film that wasn't made by Almodovar) and the academy isn't likely to nominate two foreign actors (though, it would be nice).

Right now:
Don Cheadle, Hotel Rwanda
Johnny Depp, Finding Neverland
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Aviator
Jamie Foxx, Ray
Paul Giamatti, Sideways

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:15 pm
You must have big rats

Bardem has no chance. Moreno has MUCH more support than Bardem and the movie was a "hit" (for a Spanish film that wasn't made by Almodovar) and the academy isn't likely to nominate two foreign actors (though, it would be nice).

Right now:
Jamie Foxx, Ray
Paul Giamatti, Sideways

The only thing that makes me disagreeing with that list is that I don't believe that the SAG has gotten all 5 noms here right and all 5 noms in the Best Actress category right. I believe in a 5:4 match, but not 5:5. I have a feeling that either Giamatti or Depp will be snubbed in favor of Bardem/Neeson/Eastwood...

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Right now:
Jamie Foxx, Ray
Paul Giamatti, Sideways

Hmmm...The thing is, I really think Bardem or, if not, Eastwood will get in.

Yet at the same time I can't see any of the 5 actors listed being mentioned being snubbed (but then again that's why there's always at least a couple of shickers when nominations are announced right.

I don't know, I guess one will miss out :razz:

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

If Finding Neverland gets nominated for Best Picture (and you find it AS a lock), there's no way Depp WON'T be nominated. He leads the movie; what's good about it besides him and Winslet? Absolutely nothing. It's comparable to Radio without the two actors there.

I didn't consider the SAG list, but Bardem and Eastwood don't have much of a chance. And, Kinsey's dying...I just can't see what else you MIGHT put there asides from these 5.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:49 pm
You must have big rats

If Finding Neverland gets nominated for Best Picture (and you find it AS a lock), there's no way Depp WON'T be nominated. He leads the movie; what's good about it besides him and Winslet? Absolutely nothing. It's comparable to Radio without the two actors there.

I didn't consider the SAG list, but Bardem and Eastwood don't have much of a chance. And, Kinsey's dying...I just can't see what else you MIGHT put there asides from these 5.

Well, I doubt anyone whould have guessed Castle-Hughes last year for Best Actress, right?

There is always room for surprise.

Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Jamie Foxx, Ray
Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby

At the moment, I think Jamie Foxx is a (deserving) lock. If it wasn't for him, though, I'd really have hard time picking the winner, but would probably go for Eastwood because of the sentimental value.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

This is one category that I think Eastwood would prefer to lose. He and Ray Charles were friends. They even sang the opening song together for the Clint Eastwood movie "Any Which Way You Can". It was called "Beers to You", and was kinda funny with a catchy little tune. I'm sure he was very impressed by Jamie Foxx's portrayal.

Just a bit of trivia for the trivia minded members of the forum. :wink:

Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:11 pm
You must have big rats

About a week left until the Oscars and I don't think anyone really doubts that Jamie Foxx will win (with the exception of Dolcevita ;) ).

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3