Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 So What's With All The Brouhaha Over Million Dollar Baby?? 
Where will you be?

Torrino,im not saying the left in general bashed TPOTC,im saying that some just bashed it unfairly because quite frankly they are securlist assholes who always bash anything christian.The columnist i mentioned didnt say in their articles that they were worried of what would happen,they just down right blasted Gibson because of his strong faith and blasted many other christians who they call jesus freaks.The articles got down right personal,even most of the time not talking about the film but just talking shit about gibson.Al Franklin on his radio show ridiculed christians who supported the film and blasted gibson.They are no diffrent from these right wing assholes who protest everything also.

Uh... what? Am I the only one who thinks that neo is taking things a bit too personally here, especially because everyone he's named has been Jewish. And yeah, us Jews were the ones worried about The Passion, because it's pretty well known that Mel Gibson's dad hates anyone Jewish and would like to see us all dead, and though Mel Gibson might not be so extreme, you can't deny that anyone making a movie so widely seen and has relations like that would get some skepticism. People were worried it could get some assholes to attack people and property. Luckily for everyone, it didn't happen, but I don't see how one can deny that at the time it didn't look like there was the possibility that things like that could have occured.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:27 am
College Boy T

Gibson and Eastwood are both culpable. Gibson is more culpable, though, because he tackled a controversial issue that died out oh-so-long ago and made a deal out of it. There WAS a reason to be worried. When your religion diminshes immensly as a result of Passion plays, wouldn't you be worried? When your religion, the one that's RESPONSIBLE for the rise of Christianity (the religion that most of you believe in), is down to its lowest concentration (6 million in the US. I believe there's now more Mormans than there are Jews in the US), wouldn't you be worried about an opinionated film made by a guy with as much popularity as Arnold?

So, please, shut the fuck up. I'm glad you liked the film. I really am. But, stop imposing your one view that the film is almost holier than thou Jesus and at least recognize that there WAS a reason to be worried. Especially when 40-ish percent of Americans still maintain the belief that the war was right. There's an ignorant public out there that can be misled easily and, while Foxman's actions were wrong, the film deserved the attention because, without it, it could have had a MUCH greater effect.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:31 am
Extraordinary

And moviedude,my point was that both of these sides always protest something,it dosent matter what.Me only naming jews?I dont know what religion scott or rich are,i just mentioned them because they were the most vocal.

And torrino,Whats with the fucking rude comments?I havent been rude to you asshole.
You dont see me complaining when hollywood portrays latinos as thugs,rapist,drug dealers and murderers most of the time.and im not saying the film was holier than thou,stop putting fucking words in my mouth.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

Hollywood portrays caucasions as thugs, rapists, drug dealers, and murderers, too. I think it's an insult, however, to Jews to say that we were being "bigots" in expressing concern over the Passion. People take the bad guy character lightly and they typically don't walk out incited to kill any character who shares something WITH the bad guy in a formulaic film. It might not be right, but they've got to portray someone as bad and most of the time it's either a white, latino, asian, or a caucasian. I can't remember a single indian being portrayed badly...

However, like with Eastwood w/M$B, Gibson chose to film something controversial and he made his opinion obvious (after all. would he make a movie about something he doesn't believe in?). While the debate was huge and one couldn't turn on a channel without hearing SOMETHING about Gibson, can you really say it wasn't deserved? He can't just get off the hook with something of that kind...He deserved the buzz and the accusations, because, quite frankly, people feel strongly about their religions.

And, in saying that, I just realized something, neo. Why couldn't they hurl insults at Gibson? After all, Gibson feels strongly about his religion, which is why he made the passion. And, the others (Jews, Christians w/ a BRAIN!, etc) similarly feel strong about their religion and if someone INSULTS it, they're obviously going to try and defend it. It's the natural human thing to do. So cut the bull crap and debate when someone says they hated The Passion or hate Mel Gibson (which you have done in the past. Someone might insult the bible's certain phrasing and you'll tell them that it isn't appropriate since you and others feel strongly about the material). There's a rational reason behind it all and Gibson deserved the judgments. You can't make something that big (in both size AND controversy) and expect to get off the leash.

If anyone ever makes a film that blames latinos for something and then openly says that the latinos, as an entire race, should be blamed for the actions, believe me. It WON'T get by with ease.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:21 pm
Where will you be?

And moviedude,my point was that both of these sides always protest something,it dosent matter what.Me only naming jews?I dont know what religion scott or rich are,i just mentioned them because they were the most vocal.

And torrino,Whats with the fucking rude comments?I havent been rude to you asshole.
You dont see me complaining when hollywood portrays latinos as thugs,rapist,drug dealers and murderers most of the time.and im not saying the film was holier than thou,stop putting fucking words in my mouth.

I guess it's alright if you didn't know that they were both Jewish, maybe I was jumping the gun. And of course people protest what they don't believe is right, would you rather everyone just sits around as a political leader declares something morally reprehensible? And I don't think it's right for Hollywood to portray so many latinos as criminals, just like I don't think it's right they do the same thing with African Americans. Just because one group is villified doesn't make it ok for others to be as well. None of them should be.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2