Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 My Analysis of the Oscars 
Golfaholic

On ROTK, aren't most of those 11 voted on by different people and groups. So each group individually thought it was the best movie to win in that category.

Also to back up your argument better, which category was it undeserving of winning and what should have been the winner.

You can't just say that it was undeserving, you have to have a better winner where ROTK should have lost.

Best Song should have gone to each of the four other nominees. It is plain bad and won only because it was well-published being a tribute to Cameron Duncan
Best Score should have gone to either of the others, it is only a rehash of Shore's previous work
Best Editing should have gone to Master and Commander, which flawlessly edited CGI ships, tank ships and live at sea ships. You never could tell which was which
Best Sound should have gone to Master and Commander, it was the best Sound in years!!
Best Costumes soooooo should have gone to Last Samurai

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:41 am
Extraordinary

Goldie, individual group votes on nomination except for best picture, which includes everybody, but after nominations, for the winner ballot, everybody votes on every category except for foreign film, which has the rule that you have to attend special screening to see all 5 nominees before you can vote.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:13 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Goldie wrote:
On ROTK, aren't most of those 11 voted on by different people and groups. So each group individually thought it was the best movie to win in that category.

Also to back up your argument better, which category was it undeserving of winning and what should have been the winner.

You can't just say that it was undeserving, you have to have a better winner where ROTK should have lost.

Best Costumes soooooo should have gone to Last Samurai

This is the one I agree on the most. The Last Samurai had by far and away better costumes. I don't think the designer of The Last Samurai complained, though, because it was the same person who designed costumes for ROTK :)

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

Goldie wrote:

Best Song should have gone to each of the four other nominees. It is plain bad and won only because it was well-published

Ewww, I totally disagree. The two songs from Cold Mountain were horribly done folk songs. I know folk songs from my studies of music, and they were craptacular. Both songs from Cold Mountain did NOT deserve to win. And I don't think the song from A Mighty Wind was that great either. The only song I would have been happy with beating Into The West would have been "Belleville Rendez-vous", which I expected to win at the time. Into The West wasn't a spectacular song, but it was better than 3 of the other nominees, in my opinion.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:42 pm
You must have big rats

I thought the ROTK song was the second-best, behind My Ain True Love from Cold Mountain.

That's of course my opinion. For some reason there seems to be a lot of backlash against Cold Mountain out there.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

I thought the ROTK song was the second-best, behind My Ain True Love from Cold Mountain.

That's of course my opinion. For some reason there seems to be a lot of backlash against Cold Mountain out there.

This isn't bias on my part. I love Cold Mountain, and would have been happy to see it get a Best Picture nomination over the less deserving Seabiscuit and Master and Commander. But I don't think either song from Cold Mountain was worthy of winning Best Song. Just my opinion.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:59 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

This isn't bias on my part. I love Cold Mountain, and would have been happy to see it get a Best Picture nomination over the less deserving Seabiscuit and Master and Commander. But I don't think either song from Cold Mountain was worthy of winning Best Song. Just my opinion.

PEACE, Mike ;)

That for sure. Cold Mountain was miles better than both Master and Commander & Seabiscuit (so were 21 Grams and The Last Samurai). But there seems to be a general backlash against a movie, just because some people say that the movie is an oscar-bait and nothing more...

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

By the way, I hope this can be posted on the front page of WOKJ some time soon (of course a shortened version of it).

Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

If I ever had any doubts about Academy having a policy, then all these doubts faded away when ROTK won 11 Oscars last year, in a perfect sweep. I am not trying to downplay ROTK, I'd have given it Best Picture and Best Director as well, but certainly not all 11 Oscars which obviously was a payoff for under-awarding the previous installments of the series.

Another decisions by the Academy that I think were caused by a certain policy were Denzel Washington winning for Training Day (they wouldn't give it to Crowe two years in a row), Russell Crowe winning for Gladiator over Tom Hanks (because the Academy wouldn't want Hanks to have three Oscars already)... These are arguable, of course.

Well, it can be argued that Denzel Washington won because his Oscar was waaaay overdue.

Frankly, though, I don't think Tom Hanks WAS better than Crowe in Gladiator. Did Crowe deserve the award? I don't know. I didn't focus on the Oscars then. But, did Hanks deserve it OVER Crowe? Hell's no. Hanks ran around with a towel over his ass (whatever it was) and spoke to "Wilson". He did a good job with it, but was he ACTUALLY considered the frontrunner for this role?

I just don't think the 5000+ Oscar voters truly consider who's been setting records. I know they consider the "snub"-factor but I don't think they invest their time looking up stats on who's won and who's been nominated before, etc. It just finds a way into the winners list...

Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:36 pm
You must have big rats

Frankly, though, I don't think Tom Hanks WAS better than Crowe in Gladiator. Did Crowe deserve the award? I don't know. I didn't focus on the Oscars then. But, did Hanks deserve it OVER Crowe? Hell's no. Hanks ran around with a towel over his ass (whatever it was) and spoke to "Wilson". He did a good job with it, but was he ACTUALLY considered the frontrunner for this role?

Both were considered frontrunenrs in a very tight race...

torrino wrote:
Well, it can be argued that Denzel Washington won because his Oscar was waaaay overdue.

And that would be just another Academy policy ;)

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
As Washington already won a supporting Oscar for Glory, there was no reason to give it to him unless he earned it. It is not like it was the end of his career and they were throwing him a bone.

I remember most people saying he was brilliant in that movie, he had the added benefit of playing a bad guy.

Lecter, please try and provide some facts for your crazy rants.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

As Washington already won a supporting Oscar for Glory, there was no reason to give it to him unless he earned it. It is not like it was the end of his career and they were throwing him a bone.

I remember most people saying he was brilliant in that movie, he had the added benefit of playing a bad guy.

Dann blas mir doch einen, Goldie.

:)

Oh and as for Washington, it is one thing to win Best Supporting for an African-American actor and another thing to win Best Actor, considering that only one African American has done that before. ONE in many decades of the Oscars. Arguably, Washington is one of the best African American actors out there and the award gave a good opportunity to award him finally. The voters could do it with a clear conscience knowing that Crowe has won last year already. Washington had roles that were very deserving of an Oscar, like his turn in Hurricane, but not in Training Day. You'll find many who'll agree with that.

Goldie, you are fighting a hopeless battle here and I enjoy to see you losing it :)

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Goldie wrote:

Oh and as for Washington, it is one thing to win Best Supporting for an African-American actor and another thing to win Best Actor, considering that only one African American has done that before. ONE in many decades of the Oscars. Arguably, Washington is one of the best African American actors out there and the award gave a good opportunity to award him finally. The voters could do it with a clear conscience knowing that Crowe has won last year already. Washington had roles that were very deserving of an Oscar, like his turn in Hurricane, but not in Training Day. You'll find many who'll agree with that.

Goldie, you are fighting a hopeless battle here and I enjoy to see you losing it :)

many might. i still think it was an ocar worthy performance though .. then again, oscars are a sham : )

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
O Yes, Lecter you are right, since Washington is too old to EVER turn in another Oscar winning performance, the academy had to give it to him this year. Not that he deserved it for Training Day.

Go back and read some old comments on Training Day, maybe you will learn from real critics about his performance.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Goldie wrote:

many might. i still think it was an ocar worthy performance though .. then again, oscars are a sham : )

Worthy of a nomination? Without a doubt. Of a win? Not really.

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

O Yes, Lecter you are right, since Washington is too old to EVER turn in another Oscar winning performance, the academy had to give it to him this year. Not that he deserved it for Training Day.

Go back and read some old comments on Training Day, maybe you will learn from real critics about his performance.

You mean real critics like you? :rofl:

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Lecter, Not really, Just because he may or may not have deserved it for Hurricane - doesn't mean he didn't deserve it for Training Day.

Just like your stupid Hillary Swank argument, maybe he turned in 2 great performances.

Again, go back to the older papers and try to read about it, you may learn something.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Goldie wrote:

You mean real critics like you? :rofl:

You can read my review if you want. I consider myself being a so-called real critic and I was unimpressed with his performance :wink:

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:32 pm
You must have big rats

Lecter, Not really, Just because he may or may not have deserved it for Hurricane - doesn't mean he didn't deserve it for Training Day.

Just like your stupid Hillary Swank argument, maybe he turned in 2 great performances.

Again, go back to the older papers and try to read about it, you may learn something.

Oh yeah, so it's only me who brings up that Hilary Swank argument, eh? Volltrottel

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Sorry Lecter to throw some facts at your crazy rantings but here's the first source I looked at, and Training Day is thought of as high as the Hurricane.

Again, Lecter sorry to throw facts at you - try it some time - backs up your arguments better.

Denzel Washington

(8.09) - Glory (1989)
(7.49) - Much Ado About Nothing (1993)
(7.48) - Malcolm X (1992)
(7.39) - Philadelphia (1993)
(7.30) - Training Day (2001)
(7.29) - Man on Fire (2004)
(7.29) - The Hurricane (1999)
(7.29) - Remember the Titans (2000)
(7.28) - Antwone Fisher (2002)
(7.13) - A Soldier's Story (1984)

COVER YOUR EYES
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Sorry Lecter to throw some facts at your crazy rantings but here's the first source I looked at, and Training Day is thought of as high as the Hurricane.

Again, Lecter sorry to throw facts at you - try it some time - backs up your arguments better.

Denzel Washington

(8.09) - Glory (1989)

Source, please?

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:42 pm
You must have big rats

Denzel Washington

(8.09) - Glory (1989)

Um...what on earth does the rating of Hurriacane have ANYTHING to do with Washington's performance? This is the most bogus, idiotic statement, I've ever read on this issue. You can have an excellent performance in an average film. I don't think Hurricane was a much better movie than Training Day, but Denzel's performance in it was superb. You can fight this one as long as you won't, but you won't prove anything, apart from the fact that you're a loser.

Also interesting how you choose to ignore Levy's comments :)

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Goldie wrote:

Denzel Washington

(8.09) - Glory (1989)

Source, please?

Oh, it is the IMDB! What has a movie's rating to do with Washington's performance? I consider Star Trek VI to be a really good movie, but Shatner's performance is nevertheless crap...

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3