Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Nikki Finke (LA Weekly ) blasts the Academy 
The French Dutch Boy

MikeQ. wrote:
Eastwood doesn't seem to be considered "due" in terms of his acting. Eastwood and his acting does not nearly equate to the thought that Scorcese is overdue, not even close. Clint didn't even get virtually any recognition for his role in Million Dollar Baby before the Oscars. He suddenly got a nom here. I don't think Clint is more worthy than Foxx, or seen as overdue at all. I see Jamie Foxx as being incredibly worthy for Best Actor, since he add two great performances this year, and the Academy actually recognized both. It's clear they like him. Because of the whole situation, I think it would be a huge shame is Eastwood won over Foxx. Foxx deserves this award this year.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Eastwood gave a performance that would be justified in getting an Oscar. I'm sure you would agree that the academy, who loves him, would consider him more "due" than Jamie Foxx, and that was my argument. (have you seen M$B yet, BTW?) I personally think Foxx will win, but there would be nothing shameful in Eastwood winning. His performances is very worthy.

My point was is that the Academy doesn't seem to see Eastwood as "due" at all in terms of acting. There's no feeling of Eastwood just HAVING to win actor because he is so due to win, because clearly they don't think he is due in terms of acting. Eastwood hasn't even gotten recognition before the Oscars for his acting in MDB, while Foxx was been acclaimed for his two great performances, and got a double nomination. I still maintain that if Eastwood won over Foxx, it would be a huge shame, but obviously, that's just my opinion.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
One thing about Eastwood and the Academy's feeling about him on the acting award.

Well they nominated him so how does everyone know, he isn't on people's minds.

- Did everyone expect Eastwood to get nominated / wasn't there anyone else that could have gotten that nomination / with all of the other big nominations for MDB, how can people say that he won't get it. Who knows.

Some people's logic, that he has no chance, seems absurd as he already made it as a surprise nominee.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

My point was is that the Academy doesn't seem to see Eastwood as "due" at all in terms of acting. There's no feeling of Eastwood just HAVING to win actor because he is so due to win, because clearly they don't think he is due in terms of acting. Eastwood hasn't even gotten recognition before the Oscars for his acting in MDB, while Foxx was been acclaimed for his two great performances, and got a double nomination. I still maintain that if Eastwood won over Foxx, it would be a huge shame, but obviously, that's just my opinion.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Ok, well , how do you figure that the academy doesn't consider him due? Doesn't the fact that he wasn't on the radar for a best acting nom from anybody else, yet the academy nominated him anyway, tell you that they think he IS due, gave the kind of performance that they had been waiting for from him, and that's why he got the suprise nom? Why do you think they would nominate him so unsuspecting like they did? "Due" is the only thing that comes to mind for me. (besides worthy)

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:31 pm
You must have big rats

You know what's another thing that goes against Eastwood's win in a way? The Academy will most likely already be awarding an actor who is "due" for Million Dollar Baby and that'll be Morgan Freeman. I doubt they'll award both because both are due. I am pretty sure that Freeman is considered more due that Eastwood by the Academy.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

You know what's another thing that goes against Eastwood's win in a way? The Academy will most likely already be awarding an actor who is "due" for Million Dollar Baby and that'll be Morgan Freeman. I doubt they'll award both because both are due. I am pretty sure that Freeman is considered more due that Eastwood by the Academy.

...and deservingly so. And BTW: Eastwood is a far better director than actor...

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:42 pm
Award Winning Bastard

: Eastwood is a far better director than actor...

His performance is MDB raises his game to another level as an actor.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:52 pm
The French Dutch Boy

Dr. Lecter wrote:

I agree with both of you guys.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:52 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Levy wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

PEACE, Mike ;)

Levy and Mike, have you guys seen MDB yet? I wish you guys would, even though I'm sure your minds have already been made up due to your comments about the performances and such. It's still worth seeing this incredible movie, whether your attendance sways the academy to vote for Clint, Marty, Foxx, or whoever. It almost seems like you guys are voting so hard for Marty and/or Foxx , that you are refusing to give credibility to eastwood, even though you haven't seen the movie yet. (well, it doesn't almost seem like that, it does seem like that :razz: )

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:59 pm
You must have big rats

MikeQ. wrote:
Levy wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

PEACE, Mike ;)

Levy and Mike, have you guys seen MDB yet? I wish you guys would, even though I'm sure your minds have already been made up due to your comments about the performances and such. It's still worth seeing this incredible movie, whether your attendance sways the academy to vote for Clint, Marty, Foxx, or whoever. It almost seems like you guys are voting so hard for Marty and/or Foxx , that you are refusing to give credibility to eastwood, even though you haven't seen the movie yet. (well, it doesn't almost seem like that, it does seem like that :razz: )

Well, I haven't seen either, yet I admit that Scorcese has a higher chance at both Directing and Picture, even though I still believe that Directing will go to Eastwood just because it'd be weird to see him go home empty-handed two years in a row. But I admit, Scorcese has a better chance at winning.

As for Foxx, well, I have seen Ray, was amazed by his performance, but even if I haven't, everything is going for Foxx and against Eastwood at the moment, especially the fact that Eastwood didn't get ANY awards or nominations at all for his acting in Million Dollar Baby except for this nomination while Foxx has been sweeping awards all the way so far.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

MikeQ. wrote:
Levy wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

PEACE, Mike ;)

I think Eastwood is an awesome director. I loved Mystic River a lot. It's in my top 10 of 2003. I don't think Eastwood is as great of an actor though. I'm only saying Scorcese will win because of just that: I really think he will win! I'm also a huge fan of Scorcese and love his work. I'm not trying to just go against Eastwood. I want to see MDB, and I think I will soon now that it has expanded. :)

PEACE, Mike ;)

Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:12 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I think Eastwood is an awesome director. I loved Mystic River a lot. It's in my top 10 of 2003. I don't think Eastwood is as great of an actor though. I'm only saying Scorcese will win because of just that: I really think he will win! I'm also a huge fan of Scorcese and love his work. I'm not trying to just go against Eastwood. I want to see MDB, and I think I will soon now that it has expanded. :)

PEACE, Mike ;)

I can understand your opinion on his acting. As big of a fan as I am, I've seen him as a good actor, but not in the ranks of the great ones like Pacino and De Niro. He's preferred to do roles that don't really require him to bring tons of emotion to them, but they have been great and iconic roles, which is another facet of how an actor can give a performance. I didn't think his performance in Unforgiven was at the level of other performances that I've seen from other actors in other movies, though it was still well done, and I also felt that way about him in Bridges of Madison County, that it was a good performances that held up beside Meryl Streep nicely, but wasn't anything mind blowing.

His acting in Million Dollar baby is way above anything he's ever done as an actor, on the level of anything Pacino or De Niro have done, and on the level of the best performances that have ever won an Oscar. I think you'll really enjoy the movie, and will be equally impressed with what Eastwood delivers. It's the performance of his career.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:24 pm
Lord of filth

Levy wrote:
: Eastwood is a far better director than actor...

His performance is MDB raises his game to another level as an actor.

I would agree, and Eastwood is definately in the top 10 of the would-be worthy actors this year (hell! I predicted he had a good shot! :D) but I think it takes a leap of faith to say that his is the *defining* male performance of the year.

Jamie Foxx or Leo DiCaprio are hitting career highs. Foxx won't lose but other than that DiCaprio is the only one who even has a shot.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

MikeQ. wrote:
Levy wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

PEACE, Mike ;)

It won't be released over here before the Oscars. With luck they hold a press screening which I can attend beforehand. I will see this won, but there are a few reason why I think I won't love it THAT much. One is that I found the praised Mystic River completely over-rated...
But no matter whetheer I love the movie or not, my point that I'm trying to sell all the time is that it doessn't matter. Clint won't win the acting award since there has been so much hype about Foxx's performance that if the Academy shuts him out there would be an outrage and this unholy race debate would ensue again.
Secondly Marty is thirty years overdue and he deserves it to win the director Oscar not only because of that but because of what he did with Aviator. That movie wouldn't have looked that great if - say - Eastwood had directed it. It was the far bigger undertaking. Yes, Clint probably did a marvellous job with the actors, but Marty did the same. Never has Leo been that good, never has Blanchett been that good etc. etc. But besides that Marty recreated the Hollywood feeling of the 30's and he had much more responsibilities than Clint. It would be IMO a scandal if they wouldn't honor him this year (again). And I have the feeling the Academy feels the same...

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3