Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Least deserving nominations 
You must have big rats

Post Least deserving nominations
What nominations this year are the least deserving ones, in your opinion?

These are my picks:

1. Shark Tale for Best Animated Feature - C'mon, seriously...
2. Taylor Hackford for Best Director - He was good, but certainly not THAT good, directors like Michael Mann or Mike Nichols deserved it more this year
3. Ray for Best Picture - Ray was a good movie, but it was carried solely by Jamie Foxx. Many films (like Kill Bill Vol. 2 and Eternal Sunshine) last year were much better.

Let us hear your picks.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Post Re: Least deserving nominations
Dr. Lecter wrote:

These are my picks:

2. Taylor Hackford for Best Director - He was good, but certainly not THAT good, directors like Michael Mann or Mike Nichols deserved it more this year
3. Ray for Best Picture - Ray was a good movie, but it was carried solely by Jamie Foxx. Many films (like Kill Bill Vol. 2 and Eternal Sunshine) last year were much better.

Let us hear your picks.

Agree with 1 and 2 but not 3. While I think many pics were better than Ray (for instance, all the other Golden Globes Best Comedy/Musical nominees), it was still a better bio-pic than either The Aviator or Finding Neverland. At the very least, Finding Neverland should be replaced first before Ray.

This year a lot of my expected undeserved nominees were actually snubbed, so I'm pretty happy.

But some undeserved nominations for me:

Virginia Madsen in Sideways - She is pretty good, but doesn't really rise above the high calibre of the script/direction. So many different people could occupy the same role, and given the same dialogue, would have done just as good a job, if not better. The person who played Miles' ex-wife, as brief as she was, had much greater presence than Madsen.

Cate Blanchett in The Aviator - IMO, the worst part of the movie. With exception to the excellent family lunch scene, Blanchett dragged the movie down whenever she's there. Unlike all the other actors/actresses portraying real-life people this year, her's felt most like an exaggerated impersonation that felt completely ungenuine as a real person in Howard's life. Though part of the blame may lie with the screenwriter's fault, this performance is even more overrated than her turn in Elizabeth.

House of Flying Daggers' Cinematography - Christopher Doyle's work in Hero and Peter Pau's work in Crouching Tiger makes Xiaoding Zhao's job in Daggers looks like that of an amateur. It is a travesty that Daggers got in ahead of Collateral, The Motorcycle Diaries, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, etc.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:10 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

1. Shark Tale - far and away the worst nominee in years.
2. Costume Design - Ray and Finding Neverland; is this just about people dressing up nicely? What noticable costume do they have? House of Flying Daggers and Phantom of the Opera are clearly more deserving.
3. Art Direction - Again, don't know why Finding Neverland is here since it's rather bland. I just don't see FN as a technical marvel; it's much more about the subtle performance of Depp. HOFD is clearly more deserving.
4. Editing - One more time, Finding Neverland. There isn't much editing at all. Eternal Sunshine should be there.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

1. Shark Tale - far and away the worst nominee in years.

Since Jimmy Neutron?

Quote:
2. Costume Design - Ray and Finding Neverland; is this just about people dressing up nicely? What noticable costume do they have? House of Flying Daggers and Phantom of the Opera are clearly more deserving.

I don't know... I've been thinking about the reasons why Ray got nominated here... more contemporary costuming seems like it's actually a rather difficult thing. Brining elegance and a sense of emotion that fits a scene and works with the art direction.

Besides, we could nominate House of Flying Daggers, Troy, Alexander and epics all day long and never recognize the fact that there are costumers that work really hard in films set in modern times.

Quote:
3. Art Direction - Again, don't know why Finding Neverland is here since it's rather bland. I just don't see FN as a technical marvel; it's much more about the subtle performance of Depp. HOFD is clearly more deserving.

I'm not sure of House of Flying Daggers as a case study in Art Direction, although I would agree that Finding Neverland isn't really ground breaking. House of Flying Daggers seemed more about Cinematography than Art Direction, taking place in mostly natural locales. The bordello felt like a set. I dunno. I wouldn't have nominated it here. I would have nominated Harry Potter which is pretty much robbed here.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Least deserving? I covered that already in your biggest surprises on the nominations. Is there a difference? Anyway, I think I covered everything in the 2 existing threads - surpises and snubs.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:49 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Least deserving? I covered that already in your biggest surprises on the nominations. Is there a difference? Anyway, I think I covered everything in the 2 existing threads - surpises and snubs.

Not at all. Surprises can all be deserving and snubs don't matter because they were, well, snubbed.

End of the conversation.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:07 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Least deserving nominations
alex young wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

These are my picks:

Let us hear your picks.

Agree with 1 and 2 but not 3. While I think many pics were better than Ray (for instance, all the other Golden Globes Best Comedy/Musical nominees), it was still a better bio-pic than either The Aviator or Finding Neverland. At the very least, Finding Neverland should be replaced first before Ray.

Well, I can't judge that because I haven't seen Finding Neverland. But I saw Ray and what I saw was good, but not Best Picture material. Oh and it's funny how your both pick for undeserving Best Sup. Actress noms are actually the two frontrunners.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]