Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Oscar Nominations! 
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

So no big blockbuster movie nominated? They seem to always have at least on big blockbuster like Sixth Sense, LOTR, Forest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator,Dances with Wolves etc. No wonder the ratings were low for the Golden Globe since its just a self congratory industry show. Im not talking about dumbing it down like the People's choice award but most of these movies the public doesnt care for. All I see if the equivalent of Chocalat and English Patient on the list. Well anyhow I hope Sidewalk wins and Paul Giamonti got snubbed again damnit! They never nominate ugly actors except for William Dafoe

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:31 pm
Angels & Demons

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Well, I think The Aviator will cross $100 million by the end of its run making it a semi-blockbuster.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

So no big blockbuster movie nominated? They seem to always have at least on big blockbuster like Sixth Sense, LOTR, Forest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator,Dances with Wolves etc. No wonder the ratings were low for the Golden Globe since its just a self congratory industry show. Im not talking about dumbing it down like the People's choice award but most of these movies the public doesnt care for. All I see if the equivalent of Chocalat and English Patient on the list. Well anyhow I hope Sidewalk wins and Paul Giamonti got snubbed again damnit! They never nominate ugly actors except for William Dafoe

Uh...I have a feeling the public doesn't really care all that much for Paul Giamatti.

Since you think that should carry such importance.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Uh...I have a feeling the public doesn't really care all that much for Paul Giamatti.

Since you think that should carry such importance.

Well if they were going to make a self important show like that and leaving out movies like F911 or POTC out of it, then they shouldnt of left out Giamonti out of the race when they seem to only nominate stars only for their actor category. Looks like the most boring award show this year and it will have one of the lowest rating ever for an oscar broadcast

Just wait and see

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:42 pm
Angels & Demons

I'm so glad they nominated my favorite film for adapted screenplay!!!!

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

nice chatting with you guys!

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

The only things that surprised me were the nominations for Mike Leigh for Best Director and the snub of Paul Giamatti.

Otherwise, I got a lot of these right! I know I got both lead and supporting actress 5-for-5, and in the *first* final predictions I made, I had Alan Alda down.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:58 pm
You must have big rats

The only things that surprised me were the nominations for Mike Leigh for Best Director and the snub of Paul Giamatti.

Otherwise, I got a lot of these right! I know I got both lead and supporting actress 5-for-5, and in the *first* final predictions I made, I had Alan Alda down.

You weren't surprisd by Eastwood's nom even though he had zero pre-cursor awards or noms?

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

Clint Eastwood for Best Actor (after getting hardly anything beforehand)
Mike Leigh for Best Director
The Village for Best Score!! (Completely deserved)
A LOT of support for foreign films OUTSIDE of the Foreign Film category. Love that diversity.

Crappy Suprises:
Shark Tale over Polar Express (what the hell? And Polar got 3 OTHER nominations? Weird.)
House of Flying Daggers snubbed.

Also VERY HAPPY with:
Jamie Foxx double nomination!
Kate Winslet Best Actress nomination
Charlie Kaufman nomination (he better win)

"Interesting" nom: Troy for Best Costome (I'm not really happy or upset over the nom, I just think it's "interesting"; the Academy could actually look past a crappy film and nominate it for an arguably deserving technical achievement.)

Other:
- Would have preferred to see Hotel Rwanda or Eternal Sunshine in Best Picture slot over Ray.
- Would have liked to have seen a Best Film Editing nom for Eternal Sunshine
- Would have liked to have seen more nominations for anything for Eternal Sunshine (hehe)

Some more comments coming later, no doubt. This is all I can think of for now... :) :) :) :) :) :)

PEACE, Mike ;)

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:15 pm
Sbil

Libs wrote:

You weren't surprisd by Eastwood's nom even though he had zero pre-cursor awards or noms?

No, because:
A) He was terrific, and I loved Million Dollar Baby.
B) He's a "veteran", so if there's all this nonsense about rewarding Martin Scorsese, it doesn't surprise me that Eastwood would at least grab a nomination.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:29 pm
Lord of filth

Libs wrote:

I remember being yelled at two weeks ago because I said Giamatti was weak and Bardem or Eastwood still had a chance.

Clint is like the Keisha Castle Hughes of this year... which is kinda sexy to think about :razz:

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Libs wrote:

I remember being yelled at two weeks ago because I said Giamatti was weak and Bardem or Eastwood still had a chance.

Clint is like the Keisha Castle Hughes of this year... which is kinda sexy to think about :razz:

No, we all know that Moreno is this year's Keisha Castle Hughes... ;)

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Libs wrote:

I'm not upset that Eastwood was nominated (actually, I'm overjoyed), but I'm a bit bummed that Giamatti was snubbed in favor of Johnny Depp. Unlike last year, I wasn't a *huge* fan of Depp's performance this year. I mean, I thought he was good and everything, but...

Poor Paul.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:53 pm
Sbil

andaroo wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Libs wrote:

Everyone was predicting her (Moreno), though.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:54 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
andaroo wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Libs wrote:

Mostly because of last year's nomination of Hughes. Looking at the pre-cursor awards...bith were mentioned by critics groups, both got Golden Globe and SAG nominations an both made their film debuts in the respective movies.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

What are my stats? I think in the end of the top 8 categories I only missed a few times. Mike Leigh instead of Marc Forester. Vera Drake in screenplay. I think I put someone else in instead of Sophie.

But I got Alda! I got Eastwood (or at least mentioned him :razz:)! I even got Moreno! :D

So if you don't look too far back (say 2 weeks) I'm pretty good Oscar prognosticator ;)

Of course, at the beginning of WorldofKJ I was all like Passion, Aviator, Closer, Long Engagement and Ray I think :P

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I predicted her too!

What are my stats? I think in the end of the top 8 categories I only missed a few times. Mike Leigh instead of Marc Forester. Vera Drake in screenplay. I think I put someone else in instead of Sophie.

But I got Alda! I got Eastwood (or at least mentioned him :razz:)! I even got Moreno! :D

So if you don't look too far back (say 2 weeks) I'm pretty good Oscar prognosticator ;)

Of course, at the beginning of WorldofKJ I was all like Passion, Aviator, Closer, Long Engagement and Ray I think :P

Okay, the bragging session ends...HERE

;)

Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Libs wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
andaroo wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Libs wrote:

Mostly because of last year's nomination of Hughes. Looking at the pre-cursor awards...bith were mentioned by critics groups, both got Golden Globe and SAG nominations an both made their film debuts in the respective movies.

Keisha Castle Hughes got NOTHING until her SAG nomination. She had a BFCA nomination (and win) but in the best young actress category.

What was so shocking about her was that she was nominated in the LEAD actress category (where she belonged) after being campaigned in the supporting actress category all year, and missing out on everything, and apparantly having her chances resurrected in the SUPPORTING actress category by SAG.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

I predicted her too!

Did you read the message I left you on page 11?

To keep you humble :razz:

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Very happy to see the love for Eastwood, and his Acting nod (which I don't think he'll win) ups the percentages of him getting recognition elsewhere. Best Picture or Best Director.

Yay for Spidey 2 with 3 noms....Special FX are in the bag!!!

Last edited by Maverikk on Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:18 pm
College Boy T

andaroo wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Libs wrote:

I'm not upset that Eastwood was nominated (actually, I'm overjoyed), but I'm a bit bummed that Giamatti was snubbed in favor of Johnny Depp. Unlike last year, I wasn't a *huge* fan of Depp's performance this year. I mean, I thought he was good and everything, but...

Poor Paul.

I actually think Finding Neverland is one of Johnny's stronger performances. Although it isn't an audacious, Russell Crowe-like performance filled with tantrums, and isn't the typical thing the Academy would go for, he does a fine job with the reserved character he's left with.

I haven't seen Giamatti (or Sideways...grr) but, is it any better than his performance in American Splendor? THAT was the big snub last year, IMO. Jude Law's performance in Cold Mountain was so formulaic and typical that it was truly disappointing seeing the Academy nominate Law over Giamatti.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:20 pm
Extraordinary

Catalina Sandino Moreno was excellent in Maria Full of Grace but there were much stronger performances last year, like Uma Thurman, Julie Delphy, Emmy Rossum, hell even Nicole Kidman in Dogville.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:30 pm
College Boy T

Frankly, I think Catalina Sandino Moreno's performance was the best of the four I've seen (I haven't seen Million Dollar Baby yet). I didn't think Winslet or Bening were anything special. I loved Staunton, but Moreno really made the movie. Uma was snubbed but she never really had a chance. And, while Kidman tends to always be good, she's gotten sooo much love in the past couple of years that it's simply time to...make...way...for...newcomers.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:37 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

Catalina Sandino Moreno was excellent in Maria Full of Grace but there were much stronger performances last year, like Uma Thurman, Julie Delphy, Emmy Rossum, hell even Nicole Kidman in Dogville.

I disagree.

Delpy and Kidman were EQUALLY good compared to Moreno, but not better.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next