Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 A Dirty Shame 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

A Dirty Shame 
College Boy Z

Post A Dirty Shame
A Dirty Shame

Quote:
A Dirty Shame is a 2004 satirical sex comedy written and directed by John Waters, and starring Tracey Ullman, Selma Blair, Johnny Knoxville, Chris Isaak, Suzanne Shepherd, and Mink Stole.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:58 pm
College Boy T

This isn't his masterpiece, but it's still a fun movie. B

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:00 am
Forum General

I thought the first half of it was really funny but then after that it got really stupid. I doubt I'd ever watch it again, it was a fun movie for what it was though.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

This is the first John Waters film I've seen, and it was pretty good. The humor was clever, and some scenes were pretty hilarious. Tracy Ullman and Selma Blair were actually really good in the movie. Overall, B+

Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

This is the first John Waters film I've seen, and it was pretty good. The humor was clever, and some scenes were pretty hilarious. Tracy Ullman and Selma Blair were actually really good in the movie. Overall, B+

See: Hairspray, Pink Flamingos (if you have a strong stomach), Serial Mom
Don't: Cecil B. Demented, Pecker

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:04 pm
Forum General

I really want to see PECKER. I kind of want to see PINK FLAMINGOS because of all of the buzz around it but some of it (like the chicken) sounds absolutely disgusting. I've seen SERIAL MOM and I think it's really funny. I know that wasn't commented towards me but I felt like answering you, I hope you don't mind :)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

A DIRTY SHAME is the outrageous new comedy from director John Waters. No stranger to controversy, he is a director who does whatever he wants despite the consequences that may occur. This film is so full of vulgarity that it was slapped with an NC-17 rating right off the bat. According to the MPAA, if the film was cut to obtain an R rating it would only be 10 minutes long. Nonetheless, A DIRTY SHAME opened in a semi-wide release back in September 2004 and was met with mixed reviews and mediocre box office. Now finally appearing on DVD in both the original and "Neutered" R-rated version, it is ready to shock many new audiences.

Simply put, this is one of the raunchiest films in recent memory. That's part of what makes it so hilarious. The plot is outrageous and the gags are unforgettable - the kind that could only come from the mind of a twisted individual. The visuals are similar to any Waters film. Most of his projects are set within the streets of Baltimore and he almost always employs a '50's vibe even when the film is set in present day. Both of these are evident here and prove that he shows no signs of misusing his trademarks.

This is quite a challenging film to review because it works best if you watch it not expecting much. That's the technique I followed when first seeing this film and I was laughing hysterically from beginning to end. Keep a lookout for a truly unforgettable scene in a nursing home ;) But this laugh-out-loud comedy is also a social satire, viewing the way that some Americans feel about sex in a comical and well-played manner. Everything here is played for laughs though, from the jokes to the soundtrack (which is a laugh riot all on its own), so it doesn't take itself seriously at all.

The acting is solid if you consider the fact that most of these actors are playing it for laughs. Tracey Ullman is hilarious and steals the show as Sylvia. She has some of the film's best lines and shows her comedic range here. Johnny Knoxville is also quite funny as Ray-Ray. Selma Blair got the most press out of anyone in the film because of the massive prosthetic breasts she wore, and she flaunts them well while also delivering a good supporting performance. The rest of the cast does a respectable job as well.

In closing, rent A DIRTY SHAME. I don't want to give any more away, but it is truly hilarious and unpredictable fun! Make sure to rent the NC-17 version, for I couldn't picture this film any other way.

8/10 (B+)

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:51 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]