Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 16 ]
B 48%  48%  [ 26 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 54

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) 
Cream of the Crop

Spoilers are allowed in here, right? because I have an unaswered question since I saw the movie.

If all the movie was about The Smiths killing each other, so why didn't the agencies from the start blow up the house while they The Smiths are inside it ?. What's puzzling me more is that the agencies eventually blew up the house after the 48 hrs timeframe.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Owner

Yes spoilers are allowed, and I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment.

Well I could, I suppose.

Because they didn't want to kill their own Smith ... unless they just wanted them to kill each other ... in which case maybe they didnt want to be attached to the killings.

As for the last one ... maybe they got trigger happy?

Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Spoilers are allowed in here, right? because I have an unaswered question since I saw the movie.

If all the movie was about The Smiths killing each other, so why didn't the agencies from the start blow up the house while they The Smiths are inside it ?. What's puzzling me more is that the agencies eventually blew up the house after the 48 hrs timeframe.

* The agency didn't blow up the house. The house blew up by accident as the bomb was kicked by Pitt away from himself and towards the fuel for the house.

* Another question would be - instead of doing this stupid plan, they should have killed them the way that the Jedis were killed in Star Wars or in the Godfather movie - someone just shoot them from behind.

* Another question as the movie ended with the couple only fighting the assassins but not taking down either organization - is this really a complete movie - I am wondering whether there will be a continuation.

It just seemed like a wierd ending - cause there should still be more assassins in the future as the organizations want them dead.

* Lastly, what is the deal with Vince Vaughn - he saw 2 seperate hits on Angelina and Brad but he never tried to call Brad or even mention it to him.

Was Vince dirty or maybe a bad guy.

or was this just a bad editing cut or left out of the screenplay.

* To me, there seems to be so many open questions, I am wondering if they are planning a sequel for part 2 of this story.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

* The agency didn't blow up the house. The house blew up by accident as the bomb was kicked by Pitt away from himself and towards the fuel for the house.

The bomb was meant to blow up the house, whether Pitt kicked it away or not. Just because Pitt kicked it towards the fuel it made more damage.

Goldie wrote:
* Another question would be - instead of doing this stupid plan, they should have killed them the way that the Jedis were killed in Star Wars or in the Godfather movie - someone just shoot them from behind.

After 4 days of thinking, Eagle's explanation ( the companies didn't want their names attached to the killings ) is the best one I could come up with. When The Smiths didn't kill each other in the desert, the companies decided to give them another 48 hrs ( the companies' last attempt to stay out of the picture), maybe they could finish each other. What contradicts that theory is that after those 48 hours, the agencies went crazy, they tried to kill The Smiths at any cost. Who wants to keep a low profile doesn't make his assasins try to kill in the middle of the highway, in front of everybody.

After that huge opening, I'm expecting a part two. But I think the movie is not open ended because the producers were thinking of a sequel, but because the movie had a very bad script. After all, what do you expect from the writer of XXX2 & Elektra?

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Goldie wrote:

The bomb was meant to blow up the house, whether Pitt kicked it away or not. Just because Pitt kicked it towards the fuel it made more damage.

Goldie wrote:

After 4 days of thinking, Eagle's explanation ( the companies didn't want their names attached to the killings ) is the best one I could come up with. When The Smiths didn't kill each other in the desert, the companies decided to give them another 48 hrs ( the companies' last attempt to stay out of the picture), maybe they could finish each other. What contradicts that theory is that after those 48 hours, the agencies went crazy, they tried to kill The Smiths at any cost. Who wants to keep a low profile doesn't make his assasins try to kill in the middle of the highway, in front of everybody.

After that huge opening, I'm expecting a part two. But I think the movie is not open ended because the producers were thinking of a sequel, but because the movie had a very bad script. After all, what do you expect from the writer of XXX2 & Elektra?

I have to see it again but I shouldn't have said bomb - I think it was really a generade that would have hurt / killed them but wouldn't have blown up the house. And if the bomb would have blown up the whole house, it didn't have to be thrown into the room that they were in. And also Pitt was only concerned when it rolled toward the fuel.

Anyway, on the other point as these 2 have killed so many people - they could have been killed and lots of others could have been blamed.

But I guess you are right, the organizations didn't want to be involved.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:03 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

http://www.worldofkj.com/Zingaling-MrMrsSmith.php

A

Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:03 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I don't think this is a movie where you are supposed to analyse it and try to figure out answers to plot holes. it's just a summer movie after all. enjoy it for the cattiness of the characters, the explosions, car chases, jokes, etc. who cares about the angencies? :roll:

Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:42 pm
Forum General

I don't think this is a movie where you are supposed to analyse it and try to figure out answers to plot holes. it's just a summer movie after all. enjoy it for the cattiness of the characters, the explosions, car chases, jokes, etc. who cares about the angencies? :roll:

Big Fucking Deal.

It was just a Fucking Question about an open / unanswered point in the movie.

So go roll your Fucking Eyes somewhere else.

Doesn't Fucking make a great adjective.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I_Was_Your_Sam wrote:

Big Fucking Deal.

wow. angry a bit? :-k

Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:32 pm
MISSING IN ACTION

I_Was_Your_Sam wrote:

Big Fucking Deal.

That was an eye roll without the eye roll.

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Just because you think it's not a movie you would analyze, other people might not agree. Some people don't like having movies with so many plot holes or questions left unanswered. And they're not wrong for feeling that way. I don't think you should tell people not to ask questions and just "enjoy it for what it is." You view it one way, other people view it other ways. Goldie shouldn't have flipped that way, but I can understand a little bit where the annoyance comes from.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I_Was_Your_Sam wrote:

Just because you think it's not a movie you would analyze, other people might not agree. Some people don't like having movies with so many plot holes or questions left unanswered. And they're not wrong for feeling that way. I don't think you should tell people not to ask questions and just "enjoy it for what it is." You view it one way, other people view it other ways. Goldie shouldn't have flipped that way, but I can understand a little bit where the annoyance comes from.

Actually my response was very controlled. No flipping out. Just sick of people who don't understand where lines are.

Who is he to tell me what to care about with his flip response and then his use of the eye rolling.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

There's something to be said about a film where you wish that Angelina would be shot dead. Her character is one of the least likeable protagonists I can remember in recent years. To counter the pounds of weaponry, she offers us a few ounces of human feeling, if you can call it that. Had they revealed her to have been a robotic humanoid at the end, I doubt I would have been very surprised. For humour, we are supplied with such wonderful comments as those that reveal that she has slept with 312 men (maybe women too), and sometimes, two at the same time. That, of course, does not make her a slut, no, no, not at all. She is, after all, super-cool! Totally cool! Urgh.

The film is for the most part utterly forgettable, and I don't think it's worth the effort of looking too deep into it, but there's something to be said aout a film that is so unoriginal, so uninspired, and so filled with plot holes. It is utterly absurd to assume that two agents would be worth the lives of so many others (are those who are killed in the film worth consideration? According to the film, no, of course not. Some lives are worth more than others), or that either of the two characters would be so astonishingly stupid as to ignore all hints that the other might have something serious on the side that might threaten their safety (marriage itself is a threat- the film at least isn't so shortsighted as to ignore the fact that having a family would make it impossible [the scene with Angelina and the baby]). Or, for that matter, how it is that every single one of the hundreds of bullets (so many that an entire department store is wreaked) misses them.

And I find the lame attempts at trying to represent "girl power" laughable at best. Consider how Mrs Smith demands that Mr Smith give her the boy gun, not the girl gun. That's supposed to make her tough, right? Yeah, it's so refreshing to see a woman be so stupid as to care about such a trivial matter in light of a situation where her safety, and that of her husband, is at stake.

Terrible script, terrible plot, bad film. I have never disliked Jolie as much as I did in this film, and were it not for Pitt, and Vaughn, I might well have walked out, even in a theatre that was filled to capacity.

D

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The plot is quite weak, and the movie itself feels long. The chemistry between Pitt and Jolie saves the film. Overall, a standard hollywood popcorn film that I won't remember much down the road. B-.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
---------

For humour, we are supplied with such wonderful comments as those that reveal that she has slept with 312 men (maybe women too), and sometimes, two at the same time. That, of course, does not make her a slut, no, no, not at all. She is, after all, super-cool! Totally cool! Urgh.

I respect and like your review, but in this part I think she was talking about the number of people she's killed.

I think you may know this and I'm probably just reading your review wrong.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:19 pm
Sbil

T For humour, we are supplied with such wonderful comments as those that reveal that she has slept with 312 men (maybe women too), and sometimes, two at the same time. That, of course, does not make her a slut, no, no, not at all. She is, after all, super-cool! Totally cool! Urgh.

D

That part? I myself thought the humor came from the fact that Brad and Angelina were talking about how many people they had killed, not how many they had slept with. Or at least, that's how I viewed it.

It was funny because it seemed like they were talking about sex but they weren't.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:21 pm
Extraordinary

The audience I was with might have mislead me. If it is intended to have adouble-meaning, then the script is clearly more intelligent than I gave it credit for. But that just means it's slightly above the intelligence level of a sponge that incorporates things from elsewhere rather than producing something of substance by itself.

Though, to be fair, sponges are more important to this Earth than this film's script is. My apologies to all the sponges out there who might have been offended.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Box wrote:
T For humour, we are supplied with such wonderful comments as those that reveal that she has slept with 312 men (maybe women too), and sometimes, two at the same time. That, of course, does not make her a slut, no, no, not at all. She is, after all, super-cool! Totally cool! Urgh.

D

That part? I myself thought the humor came from the fact that Brad and Angelina were talking about how many people they had killed, not how many they had slept with. Or at least, that's how I viewed it.

It was funny because it seemed like they were talking about sex but they weren't.

You know, if that was the case, then the "Sometimes it was 2 at the same time" comment makes absolutely no sense, because we have seen Mr Smith kill 4 at the same time around the poker table, and are in the process of witnessing dozens more being killed by both of them.

If that is meant to impress, adding to the already impressive 312, why would it be "only" 2? Why, for that matter, is that comment attached at all? It seems that, in order to give the entire statement a double-meaning, logic was sacrificed.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
---------

I don't think there would be more than 2 targets in one place.... all the others just had to die because they were with them. The other 3 card players probably weren't the main targets but he had to kill them anyway. They're "henchmen".

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:29 pm
Extraordinary

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the logic behind the count. It certainly seems to be in the spirit of this film, like it is with so many other action films, that some human lives are worth more than others.

I had been hoping that, after Spider-Man 2 and The Incredibles last year, we had moved beyond the absurd "good guy/bad guy" dichotomy, where the good guys are good, and the bag guys just plain bad. It is never as simple as that.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

It was meant as KILLS and also used as a joke. Very clear cut. They are assassins, after all.

Brad asks how many she has done - she doesn't answer.

Brad tells her he done 56 and then tries to tell her he has alot because he has been in it longer, etc.

Then she blurts out her number which produces a shocked look from Brad.

That was part of the intended humor of this scene and the movie.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I thought it was pretty fun actually. It didn't drag because doug thankfully spent a little while building the Smiths up before diving into the action. The therapist couch scenes were hilarious. I wish there had actually been a little more of them, along with a slightly longer scene were they're not sure how much the other one knows. Still over all pretty good and the long string of "retalking" about who they are that ran through the movie was pretty funny.

He majored in art history! :lol:

What? Its reputeable...

B+

For good 'ol fashion fun Mr. and Mrs. Smith knows how to have a good time without getting boring or overly obnoxious.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:22 pm
Hot Fuss

I thought it was pretty fun actually. It didn't drag because doug thankfully spent a little while building the Smiths up before diving into the action. The therapist couch scenes were hilarious. I wish there had actually been a little more of them, along with a slightly longer scene were they're not sure how much the other one knows. Still over all pretty good and the long string of "retalking" about who they are that ran through the movie was pretty funny.

He majored in art history! :lol:

What? Its reputeable...

B+

For good 'ol fashion fun Mr. and Mrs. Smith knows how to have a good time without getting boring or overly obnoxious.

Completely agree.

But I am more giving. So it gets an A- from me. Besides, it deserves it. It's one of the only entertaining films so far this year :(

Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

They were talking about how many people they killed?! Christ...it fooled me. :-k

Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:00 am
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Great action, funny, smart. Everything you'd want from a summer blockbuster.

Anyone else think Angelina Jolie was absolutely gorgeous in this film. I mean, really gorgeous. I was in awe of her beauty in some scenes. Remarkable.

Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next