Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Ugly Truth 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

The Ugly Truth 

Post The Ugly Truth
The Ugly Truth

Quote:
The Ugly Truth is a 2009 American romantic comedy film starring Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler. The film was released in North America on July 24, 2009, produced by Lakeshore Entertainment for Columbia Pictures.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:16 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: The Ugly Truth
It's a shame. It started off so well. Then it had to revert to the generic romantic comedy formula that we've all grown familiar with. It's expected of course, but the first hour was funny enough that I thought the last 30 would've offered something a little different. Actually my expectations were probably too high even at that small a hope, but how about at least keeping the film funny? Once we get into the part where both of them realize they're in love with one another, yet the film causes one of them to make a mistake simply so we can have a romantic last scene where they kiss and float off into the sunset (something that actually happens here) the movie just goes south. Actually once Butler gives her a longing glance the film begins it's slow descent.

And yet I laughed quite a bit. I'll give the film credit, it does have a good amount of laughs in it and is somewhat clever. The scene at the restaurant, although or orchestrated in such a way that would never happen in real life, is quite funny. I'll admit, I'm not the biggest Katherine Heigl fan, but maybe since she was a prodcuer, she felt the need to put in a little extra effort. It's a good scene.

So, for a film that really offers nothing new, I enjoyed it somewhat. It just stops trying with about a half hour to go. Stay for the first hour, but get an early start on the traffic. Any scenario you can possibly imagine is more creative than the one they come up with here.

**½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:50 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

:pinch:

Oh well.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:52 am
Forum General

Wow. Did I see the same movie you did? ;)

I thought it was absolutely wonderful and definitely the best romantic comedy to have come around since 2003's LOVE ACTUALLY. Everything about it was just so...perfect. Katherine Heigl and Gerald Butler are both great in their roles, they're both very charismatic and their chemistry is sizzling hot. The supporting characters are great too; Eric Winter is great as Abby's love interest and is smokin' hot and is very likable, also Cheryl Hines and John Michael Higgins are both great to watch, they're great together! The big thing that really surprised me about this flick was that is was just so funny. I haven't laughed as hard as I laughed in this movie in a long time, not even in BRUNO. As far as romantic comedies go, it was pretty original. I really couldn't recommend this more. There is something for everyone to like. I just LOVE this movie!

9/10 (A)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:10 am
Profile YIM WWW

movies35 wrote:

We did. I just wasn't as easily pleased as you were with the last 30 minutes. :)

Oh, and any film that makes Craig Ferguson look like an asshole will automatically get a notch down from me. Based on what he does with his show and how he interviews people, there's no way he would've put that question to Butler's character so bluntly.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Jmart wrote:
movies35 wrote:

We did. I just wasn't as easily pleased as you were with the last 30 minutes. :)

I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, in fact I thought it was more inventive than most romantic comedies. And the ending in the hot air balloon was too cute. Also, I loved the scene in the hotel room.

I'm glad you at least enjoyed it though. :)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

And while I do agree that is was very predictable as to what would happen, I cared about the characters a lot because they were written so pitch perfect, so I was definitely one of the people gasping when he was walking back to Abby's hotel room. ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hatchling

one of THE defining romantic comedies of the 30s! irene dunne is so fucking hot in this movie, and cary grant proves that he is a great physical comedian! jiu jitsu, anyone???

Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:49 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

leo mccarey!

Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:42 am
Sbil

So this is nowhere near as bad as the reviews suggested, even as far as this type of movie goes. I'm not going to lie and say this is one of the best comedies ever or something (just this summer, The Proposal is a more satisfactory romcom) but the movie has several hilarious moments (most of which comes from material that earned the film its R rating) and Katherine Heigl/Gerard Butler bring enough of a spark to the film to bring it success. Also, on a shallow note, Eric Winter needs to be in more movies wearing no clothing. B

Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:36 pm
Forum General

This was one of the dumbest, most cliched, most offensive pieces of shit I've seen in many years.

Hated it.

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:27 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Had some hilarious moments. But... yeah...

**.5/****

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:44 am
Devil's Advocate

I liked it well enough. I definitely agree with Jmart that the film is hot as an iron for the first 2/3s when it's all comedy, and cools down significantly when they push the romance and sentiment. For a film that's cynical about the cliches of dating life, it's a shame they couldn't rise above the "boyfriend shows up at the hotel room when nobody wants him there, random event makes him take his shirt off, real love interest comes back to profess it and opens door to wrong impression" resolution. And the hot air balloon set-up is just LOL

But for the most part, I think the film works... Mainly because Heigl and Butler both knock it out of the park. Their comedic chemistry together is aces and they both know the tone and deliveries a film like this needs. Romantically they miss, but the comedy section of the film overwhelms the rom so it doesn't sink it. Also the R rating is a breath of fresh air. Since this film is a hit, I'd love to see more of it in romcoms in the future

3.5/5

Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:17 am
Devil's Advocate

I've decided Katherine Heigl is a really good actress and possibly headed for top of the food chain career status. I think Hollywood has been trying to set up Anne Hathaway as the next "queen" to replace Julia, but the problem is she can't do mainstream comedy or romantic comedy... Bride Wars was her chance and she failed miserably. Reese Witherspoon has the comedic talent as shown in Election and Legally Blonde, but I just don't think she's likeable enough... she fits better playing an annoying person. Jennifer Aniston is just not a good enough actress. Angelina alienates women by being too overt with her sexuality

Heigl seems to have the range to do not only drama (as shown by her Emmys from Grey's), but has also killed her stabs at mainstream comedy in this, Knocked Up, 27 Dresses. She seems to understand that until you're decades established, you can't mail any role in. She also seems to have the balance of male and female appeal.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:28 am
Veteran

I walked in on that scene you mentioned Shack, with the hotel room, and it looked terribly cliched. Then I saw the dinner table sequence, or some of it briefly in some ad and suddenly gained interest in seeing this.

Heigl is a good actress, at times very good, but she is just not that appealing. I agree with you on Angelina and Witherspoon, but not on Aniston. When she's with a good male companion it works really well (Bruce, TBU, M&M and even HJNTIY and The Bounty seems promising) and recently has been on a career upswing. Julia hasn't been the romcom queen for a while because of the break she took off of films and also the variety of female leads out there. I'd like to think that Meryl Streep is really the lead actress of the moment, with DWP and Mamma Mia being huge hits, J&J probably going to do well enough and It's Complicated (Nancy Myers comedy scheduled to come out later this year) looking promising.

As for Hathaway I don't really know where to place her, genre wise.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:35 pm

It's sometimes funny, sometime boring, and often conventional. It's a fun film, by all means, it made me laugh plenty of times and there is definitely an edge of humor that Heigl and Butler bring to it while interacting together. But it also ends up giving in to the least interesting forms of conventionality without making use of any comedic touch or real drama during these scenes. And even when i was having fun i couldn't help noticing how unoriginal it felt (ooh, a cynical guy and a "I wanna marry someone" girl, that's fresh.) I won't call it a bad film, it had enough humor and joy and charm to get past that, but it became so absolutely unoriginal I wanted to punch the writers in the face.

A begrudging 3/5.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:09 am
Wallflower

I'm surprised you went to see this before Orphan John ;).

Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:38 am

Mike wrote:

lol, yeah, actually I was looking forwarded to that more, but my friends who wanted to see it already had, and my other friends wanted to see this so I went with it.
I'd also like to point out that Bree Turner, the assistant producer girl, was far and away the best part of the film. Her comedic timing and slapstick humor accounted for nearly every major laugh in the film, and I truly hope to see her in bigger roles in the future.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:31 pm
Veteran

The Ugly Truth is the messier, more reachable version of many, better R rated sex comedies that came before it. That said, it's a funny film. I agree with mr pink that the laughs are sometimes too far apart, but the middle part of the film is quite funny. The aforementioned dinner table scene is pretty hilarious, and Hagel owns it. The cast is decent, Butler may want to work his pronunciation skills, but he was pretty funny in his role, and used well, I thought. Hagel wasn't very good in the first half of the film, but that was due mostly to her character being pretty unbearable and nauseating. Its nice to see she's really risen above such demeaning characters as the one in KU. But for the most part she was adequate, and her chemistry with Butler was pretty strong, I thought. The film became messy in the last half hour and falls into genre cliches, obviously, which is ironic for the film and its characters. There are some plot holes here and there, but for the most part it was enjoyable, quick and funny. B-

Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:11 am
Wallflower

John Savage wrote:
Mike wrote:

lol, yeah, actually I was looking forwarded to that more, but my friends who wanted to see it already had, and my other friends wanted to see this so I went with it.

So will you not get to see Orphan now? :(

Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:46 am
Extraordinary

movies35 wrote:

I thought it was absolutely wonderful and definitely the best romantic comedy to have come around since 2003's LOVE ACTUALLY. Everything about it was just so...perfect. Katherine Heigl and Gerald Butler are both great in their roles, they're both very charismatic and their chemistry is sizzling hot. The supporting characters are great too; Eric Winter is great as Abby's love interest and is smokin' hot and is very likable, also Cheryl Hines and John Michael Higgins are both great to watch, they're great together! The big thing that really surprised me about this flick was that is was just so funny. I haven't laughed as hard as I laughed in this movie in a long time, not even in BRUNO. As far as romantic comedies go, it was pretty original. I really couldn't recommend this more. There is something for everyone to like. I just LOVE this movie!

9/10 (A)

+1

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:33 am
Extraordinary

Jmart wrote:
The scene at the restaurant, although or orchestrated in such a way that would never happen in real life...

Is a frog waterproof?

Geez! A comedy movie "orchestrated in such a way that would never happen in real life"?!? That's gotta be a first...

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:48 am
Horror Hound

Hmmm....3/5.

I lov Katherine Heigl. And i LOVED Gerard Butler before this, but....has the guy had a stroke?

One side of his face seems to have actually collapsed. Hah.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:11 pm
Wallflower

The Ugly Truth - 7/10 ( B )

It was cute and funny. I enjoyed Heigl and Butler in it.

Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:40 am

I was wondering where your review went. Your like KJ's Armond White, just much more entertaining and believable to read.

Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next