Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

Rate this film:
A 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

KJ's Leading Idiot

Post 1917

Quote:
1917 is a 2019 epic war film directed and produced by Sam Mendes, who wrote the screenplay with Krysty Wilson-Cairns. The film stars George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Andrew Scott, Richard Madden, Claire Duburcq, with Colin Firth, and Benedict Cumberbatch. The film is based in part on an account told to Mendes by his paternal grandfather, Alfred Mendes, and it chronicles the story of two young British soldiers at the height of World War I during the spring of 1917 who have been given a mission to deliver a message which will warn of an ambush during one of the skirmishes soon after the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line during Operation Alberich.

1917 premiered in the UK on 4 December 2019 and was theatrically released in the United States on 25 December by Universal Pictures and in the United Kingdom on 10 January 2020, by eOne.

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:29 am
Top Poster

Post Re: 1917 (2019)
Best movie this year. A thrilling achievement in moviemaking, comparable to the likes of Gravity and Children of Men.

Deserves to win Oscars for: Best Picture, Director, Cinematography, Art Direction, Makeup, Original Screenplay, Editing, Sound, Sound Editing, and Score. Special commendation for Actor and Supporting Actor, to be able to handle extreme long takes of difficult scenes with strong emoting.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:19 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: 1917 (2019)
Yeah, this is my favorite of the year too and demands to be seen in a theater. It's really astounding and it's an outrage that George Mackay isn't in the Best Actor conversation.

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:46 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

Post Re: 1917
The second half of this was really good, after the one guy dies. The first half of the movie is just ok, took me a while to get invested in what was happening. It was a visual and tehnical achievement though for sure.

B+

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:34 am
Forum General

Yeah I actually have to agree with zwackerm on this one. The second half is a lot better than the first half IMO not that it was bad or anything, but I definitely became more invested in this once the Blake character died. The cinematography and the score was enough to keep me glued most of the time though and there are two particular sequences in this movie that I found to be absolutely phenomenal with the whole sequence that took place at the Nazi occupied ruined village and of course the trench run towards the end. Those two sequences alone push this to a higher grade than it would have gotten from me if it wasn't for those scenes. This is definitely a more technically impressive film than anything else, although I did like it a lot more than Dunkirk, because at least with this movie I was able to connect somewhat with the main character.

A-

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:50 am
We had our time together

This movie is mostly gimmick and by this time next week I'll probably have forgotten about 90% of it. The only scene that really made an impression on me was at the end when he's running through the battlefield. That got my blood pumpin'. The rest of the movie did not. It wasn't bad and I wasn't bored once but it was just so terribly average for most of it's running time. I'm ok with it winning in some technical categories but BP worthy it is not.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah the night scene with the fireworks (flares?) was the only visually stunning moment to me.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:28 pm
The Kramer

This movie was pretty great in the first hour or so. The one-shot cinematography keeps things very tense as they first cross No-Man's Land. A standout moment involves one character accidently sticking his injured hand into a rotting corpse which had the entire theater squirming in their seats. Mendes and company are able to elevate the tiny horrors of war to bring the viewer right alongside their heroes.

The movie is too long, and I kind of lost interest during the war-movie tropes in the middle such as a soldier having an overly heroic yet tragically pointless death and a soldier finding an oasis of innocence on the battlefield. They made me feel like I was watching a film rather than being in one. The ending makes up for it though, with that iconic running across the battlefield shot.

Does it deserve Best Picture? Probably not, especially if that implies it is better than Dunkirk. It's a really solid movie though, and way better than the likes of Green Book, The Shape of Water, Moonlight, etc...I wouldn't mind seeing it in theaters one more time.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

It feels like it's directed by Innaritu, but actually The Revenant more than Birdman. Like that movie the one shot gimmick is intended to be immersive, but on the other hand it’s so obvious you’re watching directing the whole time that it never quite feels as real as it thinks it is. I preferred the first half as well the cross into no man’s land, the mineshaft and up until Blake’s death, which was especially shocking since it felt like he was the guy who would live. The amount of dead bodies they crossed by worked well. However when Scofield went solo it REALLY starts to feel like a video game mission, and the French lady scene was generic and pulled from any war movie, and as if they didn’t want to be known as the new Lawrence of Arabia 0 females movie. When he got back to the trench it becomes pretty great again having to push them out of the way and making a run for it to get there in time. I didn’t feel like the race against time was overall portrayed the best though, you never quite feel like every second matters, if for example it was more clear the attack would be at dawn or something it would have been more intense as you saw the night time hours tick away and the sun start to come up. I wasn’t a huge fan of the score, at times it felt like it was crossing into “character dies on a hospital show” piano notes, which felt out of a place with the movie’s realism intentions. I’m not sure dropping in a bunch of recognizable faces in Firth, Cumberbatch, Strong and Madden fit what they were trying to do either, although I will say Madden was excellent in his one scene. Overall it’s pretty good I guess, but not really my style like The Revenant. In a strong Best Picture field it seems like a pretty uninspiring choice.

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:01 pm
Defeats all expectations

1917 is not a war movie in the conventional sense. It lacks battle scenes and its lead characters are not involved in combat. It is an intense thriller about two soldiers running away from life-threatening dangers to deliver a message to another unit in a day-long journey. The movie is not context heavy, meaning one can go in blind not knowing the historical background and still be able to experience the intimate and singular journey of the protagonists navigating through the horrors of man-made destruction and brutality. Unlike conventional war movies, it gives a new perspective and imagining on what it feels like to be a nobody on the spot in a war zone.

83/100

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:41 pm
Keeping it Light

Excellent film, just engrossing throughout. The sets, the long cuts, it's a great experience and feels like total immersion into a part of WWI. George MacKay is really good in the lead. And I want to say that I don't think it's as good as Dunkirk, but this is just quite the great gem in itself, big fan of it.

A-

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]